On paper looks great with loads of features. But in use the range is narrow and hard to get good sounds with. It's the pits really to be honest with you. I'm in love with the other GMSN modules and the open source ethos. I give this one 1/5. Please avoid this module!

Hey David.

Sorry to hear you think it's the pits.

What do you mean by narrow range? Each knob can be set from damn fast to about 10 mins.

I would rather you let me know if any issues directly through the forum rather than telling people to avoid the module :)

More than happy to talk through any improvements you think might be worthwhile.

Kind regards

Rob

Oh thanks for the quick reply Rob. It's kind of hard to put into words. I'm familiar with the envs on my sh101, teisco 60f and fenix 2 modular. I'm happy with those envs. When the D and R are set to about 5 I know what to expect. When D and R are set to shorter intervals I hear a short percussive sort of sound. On the GMSN the rules seem to be different. Like I turn the knobs to where I want it but that sweet spot isn't there. I can get a few nice sounds out of it, but it doesn't seem to be so snappy as the envs I'm used to. I bought a new doepfer hihat 808 cymbal generator so I was hoping to get some hi hats out of the synth, but the envs just weren't responding like I hoped they would. Couldn't get percussive enough without sounding a bit weird. Perhaps that's the design though. Sorry for being a twat. I really appreciate the fact that you are taking the time to respond to users. GMSN is a bargain high quality synth. That quantiser is on my wish list, looks epic :-)

For percussive envelopes: exponential envelope response into an exponential VCA. Have you tried changing the EG's mode switch?

No worries, always good to get feedback :)

There was a post on the forum awhile ago about noise on attack which ended up with a BoM updated... C3 was changed to 10nF.

https://forum.gmsn.co.uk/t/noise-on-attack/221/5

Is that the same issue or something different? Maybe having such a wide range isn't such a good idea.

Also AndyC has written an alt firmware... https://forum.gmsn.co.uk/t/v-1-01-on-github/600