Hello ModularGrid community,
I am failing creating bell-sounding FX with my Intellijel µMod II Ringmodulator. Detuning the VCOs against each other extremely I am able to create interesting RingMod like sounds – distorted, FM-like etc. However I do not get the desired bell / chime like sound I know from other ringmodulators like e.g. this one

So my question is if there is anyone able to simulate this kind of sounds with the Intellijel RingMod ?
Regards,
-Matt
PS: I use 2x Analogue Systems RS95E as VCOs

It's all in tuning the oscillators. Also, keep the quandrant knob centered, and keep the 2 attenuators back off from full clockwise. Also leave the 2 polarity switches in the center position. They are for removing the + or - from each channel, and using those can lead to more mangled tones. I assume you are taking the output from the RING out, so other than that, experiment with the tuning. Also try starting with sines. Its easier to hear and understand how the sum/difference work together when you have less overtones to begin with. Keep messing with it, because I find the uMod to be one of the cleaner sounding ones available. If you're stuck, I can try to come up with a patch for you later.

Hi exper,
thanks for your reply! I tried now according your recommendations to achieve the sound I have in mind. As mentioned - I get all interesting flavours of RingMod sounds but the belly-like sound as heard in the Oakley RingMod demo is I am not succeeding.
Can you confirm that kind of sound is possible to achieve with the Intellijel µMod?
Regards,
-Matt

Can you point to a specific time stamp in the video? Also keep in mind, following the ring mod, the sound is getting resonant filtered and delayed. I got similar tones I suppose using squares waves like the video says. In the vid, it says the mod osc is manually tuned, so don't cv that. Run it through a filter with a faster envelope (clock wise) than the 4 step sequence.

I wish I could hear it without the delay and filter. That's adding a LOT to what is happening.

Its starting about 0:37 where the sound becomes brazen and crisp and changes to a higher tune.
Also a good example of that Ringmodulator sound can be heard at the end sequence in "Jon & Vangelis - I`ll find my way home" :
http://www.y**tube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2oANV6SQhwI#t=260
copy and paste and replace ** with ou ;-) !! I do not want to have the YT video included because the time stamp gets lost