Hi! I need your help.
I’m starting to use my first modules:
A 190-4; A 131; A 118; A 138 + sequencer app on my iPad. I’m trying to do something, but it doesn’t work... Probably I need more modules (I know that), but I would like know if it’s possible to get something with my current set.
Could anyone help me please?
Thanks,
Ax

Exactly what do you hope to do with this set of modules? In particular, what did you intend to do with the A138 mixer ?

Hi liquid_air... I would like start playing ... anything... :) ...
... mixer? I got it not for a reason... I think I need it to mix more audio signals, when I’ll have hundreds of modules... :)
So, if I can get any sound from my set at the moment, I will be happy. If not, I will wait and buy more modules before.

Why, exactly, did you start with those? The only sound generator there is the A-118, and all it does is produce various colors of noise. You have nothing to sequence with the iPad + A-190-4, since nothing here responds to CVs or gates. You have no output module, either, so any output you'll have will be at synth levels, even if it's just noise.

Basically, you don't have a synth there. Put those away, and take some time and STUDY what a modular synth (or really, any synth) is supposed to have: generators, modulators, modifiers and controllers, in the broadest sense. Don't buy any more modules for the time being; instead, you need to get your hands on a patchable synth ASAP and see what's supposed to be present and WHY. After some time with that, THEN go back to obtaining modules and creating a build...because, right now, you're just wasting your money pursuing a direction that won't work.

Lugia, you are so aggressive without reason. I can generate sounds with many ipad apps, as Oscillators, drum machines, sequancers, synths and other. So I think to go into the A-190-4 and do something with my modules. I disagree with you ‘cause I studied and I know I can produce sounds with these stuff. I just would like to get some advice from this community ... not your screams.
I can live without them, thanks a lot!

Lugia, you are so aggressive without reason. I can generate sounds with many ipad apps and DAW as Oscillators, drum machines, sequancers, synths and other. So I think to go into the A-190-4 and do something with my modules. I disagree with you ‘cause I studied and I know I can produce sounds with these stuff. I just would like to get some advice from this community ... not your screams.
I can live without them, thanks a lot!

Why, exactly, did you start with those? The only sound generator there is the A-118, and all it does is produce various colors of noise. You have nothing to sequence with the iPad + A-190-4, since nothing here responds to CVs or gates. You have no output module, either, so any output you'll have will be at synth levels, even if it's just noise.

Basically, you don't have a synth there. Put those away, and take some time and STUDY what a modular synth (or really, any synth) is supposed to have: generators, modulators, modifiers and controllers, in the broadest sense. Don't buy any more modules for the time being; instead, you need to get your hands on a patchable synth ASAP and see what's supposed to be present and WHY. After some time with that, THEN go back to obtaining modules and creating a build...because, right now, you're just wasting your money pursuing a direction that won't work.
-- Lugia

Look...you asked "A 190-4; A 131; A 118; A 138 + sequencer app on my iPad. I’m trying to do something, but it doesn’t work... Probably I need more modules (I know that), but I would like know if it’s possible to get something with my current set."

And you got an answer. Sorry if you don't like the answer, but at least I'm going to step up and tell you the true answer to that question. I'm not going to tell you that you're off to an awesome start, because that would be a total lie, at least as far as your module choices are concerned. I'm also not lying when I note that your A-190-4 has nothing to talk to. You have a MIDI interface, an exponential VCA, a noise/random generator (as the only thing that makes sound here) and some sort of mixer (which I can't discern because that "138" needs a letter after it, and you didn't provide one). None of that can do much with CVs from the A-190-4, and about the only control you would have with that would be to use a gate signal (note on/note off messages) to open and close the VCA. And that isn't a synthesizer. It isn't even close to being a synthesizer. And you wanted to know if it's possible to get something with that module complement, and now you're all butthurt because someone stepped up and told you the plain truth about what you spent money on. Boo. Hoo. Would you rather I tell you that you're well on your way to being the next Deadmaus? You'll have a long wait for that to happen. Like, forever, if you keep following this sort of tangent of cobbling together random modules, asking what you can do with them, then getting all torquey when someone steps up with some actual facts.

Sure, you can make sounds with the iPad. That won't help with the modules you've listed, though, and your selections belie that you haven't "studied" much of anything about this. And you should note that I offered you some very good advice in that you need to get a much clearer understanding of analog synthesis architecture with some hands-on work with a real synth. Not some virtual thing on a tablet, but the actual device...which is a very different sort of creature than poking around at virtual controls that control emulations of circuits which, in the real world, don't necessarily behave like some goof-proof modelled thing in dataland. Again: go and get a patchable synthesizer, like a Moog Mother32 or an Arturia MiniBrute2 or even a Behringer Neutron and you will not only see exactly what I'm getting at here, you might wind up learning why and how you made some mistakes with those module choices and your expectations of their usability.

I wasn’t going to go where Lugia went, but he’s spot on. You’ve got no viable setup. If you want to use your iPad for more than sequencing, you need at audio I/O module. ADDAC makes a decent one that’s specific to iOS. But, what set Lugia off was that you have a pretty random selection of stuff that really doesn’t add anything to what your iPad alone can do. So, the idea that you should sit down and ask yourself what you actually want to do, might be a better use of your time.
Do you have any hardware at all except this setup? If not, try playing around with VCV Rack on your computer (a free modular synth simulator) to get an idea of the key elements you need.
Tip: at a minimum you need... an oscillator, an envelope generator, a VCA, and maybe a filter. Using your iPad as a sequencer: you need some MIDI interface (iConnect MIDI 2+ and a Hexinverter Mutant Brain). I don’t see anything wrong per se dabbling around with modules directly, but that path is really, and I mean REALLY expensive.

I really think you see the Music as a GATE!!!
I’m a creative musician and I’m playing and enjoing my mini mini mini eurorack System using just 3 modules . And especially the mixer a 138.
So I can give you an advice: open your mind and leave your creativity go out from the GATE.

Bye bye

Lugia is probably/definitely the most knowledgeable person in these forums. Don't characterize what he said as "aggressive." It wasn't.

You have a collection of modules that makes absolutely no sense on their own. You haven't put the time in studying how analog synths work. You don't just buy a bunch of cool looking stuff and expect to get anywhere. But hey, it's your money and you can waste it however you see fit. You came here looking for answers. He gave them to you for free. Don't squeal because he was curt and to the point.

Now here's my advice. Buy something like a Behringer Neutron. It's $300US. It will teach you everything you need to know about BASIC modular architecture as well as a dedicated line-level out (plus synth level). It has MIDI DIN in as well as USB MIDI. You'll also be able to make use of most of the modules you've already obtained (assuming you have them in a case).

You need a LOT more knowledge before putting together a modular synth that will work for you. Dig in Youtube for tutorials and you may want to download VCV Rack. It's a simulated modular synth environment that is great to learn in.

Respect the knowledge people take the time to share with you. I'm sure you'll have more questions later on and Lugia hitting the reply button rather than skipping it because you got all whiny the last time isn't where you want to be.

Nah. I washed my hands of this several days ago. This one's on his own.

Are you sure that my starting set doesn’t work???
If yes, I think you need more experiments to do...
Fortunately music is an area where creativity always has the upper hand on the cold technique.

Lugia is probably/definitely the most knowledgeable person in these forums. Don't characterize what he said as "aggressive." It wasn't.

You have a collection of modules that makes absolutely no sense on their own. You haven't put the time in studying how analog synths work. You don't just buy a bunch of cool looking stuff and expect to get anywhere. But hey, it's your money and you can waste it however you see fit. You came here looking for answers. He gave them to you for free. Don't squeal because he was curt and to the point.

Now here's my advice. Buy something like a Behringer Neutron. It's $300US. It will teach you everything you need to know about BASIC modular architecture as well as a dedicated line-level out (plus synth level). It has MIDI DIN in as well as USB MIDI. You'll also be able to make use of most of the modules you've already obtained (assuming you have them in a case).

You need a LOT more knowledge before putting together a modular synth that will work for you. Dig in Youtube for tutorials and you may want to download VCV Rack. It's a simulated modular synth environment that is great to learn in.

Respect the knowledge people take the time to share with you. I'm sure you'll have more questions later on and Lugia hitting the reply button rather than skipping it because you got all whiny the last time isn't where you want to be.
-- Ronin1973

Fortunately music is an area where creativity always has the upper hand on the cold technique.
-- wmw2019

Let's see... MIDI to CV converter... a VCA... a mixer, and a noise generator. Wow... what an awesome set-up. Tell me more about what inspiring and creative patches you've come up with. I can't wait to hear. What other advice do you have for me? So knowledgeable... you should create your own tutorials. If you get a filter, you might be able to create your own hi-hat. That's awesome.

I'm done with you, troll.

-- wmw2019

Let's see... MIDI to CV converter... a VCA... a mixer, and a noise generator. Wow... what an awesome set-up. Tell me more about what inspiring and creative patches you've come up with. I can't wait to hear. What other advice do you have for me? So knowledgeable... you should create your own tutorials. If you get a filter, you might be able to create your own hi-hat. That's awesome.

I'm done with you, troll.

-- Ronin1973

Bye!!!
Ahahah