ModularGrid Rack

That's what I plan on building. I'm really new and don't know if this rack would function correctly, is there anything I'm doing wrong?

BY THE WAY you have to click the picture to see the finished version for some reason

I would add at least 1 mixer

I thought the optomix was a mixer/vca?

I thought the optomix was a mixer/vca?
-- Ashekyu

Sure, it has an auxiliary mixing function, but you may at times require mixing that does not involve the Optomix. Similarly, though Optomix can stand in for a VCA in many patches, you may want a regular VCA at times, rather than a lowpass filter optimized for signal gating.

I second this. Optomix is a bit too special as a vanilla VCA ...

@Ashekyu:

BY THE WAY you have to click the picture to see the finished version for some reason
-- Ashekyu

Retrigger the generation of the screenshot and empty browser cache...

woah thanks guys. So, should I maybe, replace the optomix? I'm not really sure where I could put a mixer on this rack, I like everything there

I think Doepfer has a 4 channel mixer/vca (not like the optomix). I had that on here before, but it was really large and I wanted more functionality as far as actual sounds go.

oh and the blank panel needs to be there, it's where a power switch will go, I didn't add one because I only wanted the price to show the actual module's price (since the switch comes with a power supply)

You have two mixers with the two Mutable Instruments Links. If you use the Koma Attenuatorcable you can use this as a standardmixer....

You have two mixers with the two Mutable Instruments Links. If you use the Koma Attenuatorcable you can use this as a standardmixer....
-- loowfizzz

What about a vca? Could I send things through the links, per say, and then through the Optomix to act as a VCA? Sorry I'm a little new but thanks for your help, I'm glad people are answering

Yes you can mix for example different waveforms in the Links with unity gain or attenuated and then use the optomix as VCA!

Hi,

I would replace 1 links with a quad attenuator. (Or use the Koma cables and put something else, like a 4HP VCA)
Shades works really nice as mixer and i wouldn't waste it for simple attenu-ation/-version.
It's dope to mix timbres or do feedbacks, due to the possibility of inverting the phase.

A Eurocrack Pusher: "The first time is for free" ;)

Actually I had the shades there for the drums. Idk if this is how they work but, I have Grids controlling a few drum sounds, and I though I could use the Shades as sort of a final mix for them to go in?

does anyone know if that can work?

Yes, Shades works nice as mixer, no matter if for drums or timbres.
That is what i tried to say above. But attenuverters or an extra vca cannot do bad in this rack in the place of one links.

A Eurocrack Pusher: "The first time is for free" ;)

what about a dual linear vca from doepfer? It's pretty cheap, would it do the job?