I have a sequencer with a pitch cv output, but no gate trigger output.
Is it possible to use the cv output both as a pitch cv and a gate trigger?
For clarification:
I use the Arturia Minibrute 2s sequencer that have three separate tracks. I can use track 2 and 3 for pitch or gate cv.
So if I use track 2 for pitch cv I can use track 3 for gate cv and sync that to track 2 and then there is no problem.
But when I use both track 2 and 3 for pitch cv (two separate melody tracks) there is no corresponding gate cv for the two melody tracks.

Which sequencer it is?

It is the sequencer in Minibrute 2s. It has four tracks. 1 & 2 are connected and gives pitch and gate.
Track 3 & 4 can be used for different purposes. Like pitch or gate. So with pitch on track 3 and gate on track 4 there is no problem. But I want to use both track 3 & 4 for pitch and then I have no corresponding gates.
But I guess there are modules that can convert a pitch cv to a gate cv.

Right...they're called comparators, and there's several types...

The simplest comparators look for incoming CV levels which cross a reference voltage level, and when the incoming voltage is either over or under the reference (depending on how you have it programmed), it can send either a gate or trigger. The trigger types tend to fire when the reference is crossed (and this can be upward or downward...but this sort of comparator is also known as a discriminator, as it can also tell whether an incoming voltage is moving upward, downward, or sometimes steady when the reference gets crossed), and gates tend to hold as long as the incoming CV is in the voltage range the comparator was programmed to look for.

But then...there are WINDOW comparators. Now, these are whole 'nother level of fun. What these do is to have (at least) TWO reference levels, so that you can fire a gate in ALL voltage ranges...above the top, between the two (or more) references, or below the bottom. You can also tandem these with triggering-type comparators that also send a trigger on reference crossings, too. For things such as generative music, these are super-useful for reading long voltage curves to change the "state" of the piece with the differing trigger/gate outputs.

But those are a little much for this sort of application. Let's see if I can insert a pic here...
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/emw-voltage-comparators
Did it work? If not, just go there. Anyway, this is a bank of four ultra-simple comparators...input, reference level set by a knob, and gate output. You'd then just patch channel 3 out of the 2s to this via a mult, then have it read for anything above X voltage, so that when your pitch exceeds a certain frequency, you get a gate. Easy-peasy.

Incidentally, I don't use ANY Eurorack comparators. I have something far more killer...biomed dual window comparators, with two voltage crossing triggers, three voltage-dependent gates, and one duration-dependent gate per channel, all outputted on Dupont pins, plus a four channel MUX. When you know your "abuse potentials", you can find crap like that...

It may or may not be relevant to you but I can use my Pittsburgh MicroSequence to Trigger (when it hits a high note) and also control Pitch from the same CV Pitch output. With modules like the 2hp Pluck & Bell they have Polyphony in their release time so it can create some nice effects.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Thanks for the replies!
I will check if I can use Distings Comparator A-7.
Otherwise there seems to be some cheap comparators out there.

Hey Rookie,

I'm using the 2S sequencer too, so far I've been using the LFOs as a kind of triggers, it works for simple things. Otherwise I've been considering adding a Steppy (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-steppy) to my system, it's a bit more expensive than the comparators but it has four independent gate tracks, so you may want to check it out too.

I have read some comparator manuals and I do not think that the output from my sequencer can be used for creating trigger pulses, but I can be wrong.
With the linked picture I try to explain.
https://tinyurl.com/v8sz54g
Fig. 1 shows the output from my sequencer and fig.2 shows how I think the output must look like for creating comparator triggers.

Disting MK4 again... :-)

Quantizer A-6
Send your CV to X
Choose the chromatic scale with Z knob (near the middle)
Output B will send a trigger for each CV change >= one semitone

Quantizer?
Clever!
Works fine!
Many thanks!

Hey Rookie,

I'm using the 2S sequencer too, so far I've been using the LFOs as a kind of triggers, it works for simple things. Otherwise I've been considering adding a Steppy (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-steppy) to my system, it's a bit more expensive than the comparators but it has four independent gate tracks, so you may want to check it out too.
-- Exposure

Something like a Temps Utile might be a little more versatile than a Steppy. The Steppy is going to be great if you're changing your sequences up on-the-fly. But the Temps Utile will offer up to six sequences. It can also offer multiple other functions as well. It's comparable to the Pam's New Workout.

It will also sync to your main sequencer via clock as well as restart.

For what is worth, I found out that feeding a pitch cv signal to a module like Befaco Rampage, or any other module that can generate a slew, and that can output gates of "Rising" and "Falling", generates very useful gates, whose period duration can be adjusted by fiddling the Rise and Fall time parameters of the slew processor.

In addition, I can send the gates of Rising and Falling to either a cv mixer or a logic OR module, to have gates for every pitch change.

A consideration about quantizers: some of them output "full gates", meaning that the gates last the entire duration of a new pitch, (basically like a midi note-on), and with those I lose the Release phase of any ADSR. This is why I prefer having control over the duration of the gates, independently.

I have read some comparator manuals and I do not think that the output from my sequencer can be used for creating trigger pulses, but I can be wrong.
With the linked picture I try to explain.
https://tinyurl.com/v8sz54g
Fig. 1 shows the output from my sequencer and fig.2 shows how I think the output must look like for creating comparator triggers.
-- Rookie

yes you can you'd just need to have all sequenced notes starting above the threshold on the comparator and gaps between all sequenced notes with voltages below the threshold - it's a workaround and may not be optimal - but it would work

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

yes you can you'd just need to have all sequenced notes starting above the threshold on the comparator and gaps between all sequenced notes with voltages below the threshold - it's a workaround and may not be optimal - but it would work

-- JimHowell1970

Throw in an offset and I think you'd be fine with the comparator. Example: Befaco Dual Attenuverter.

-- JimHowell1970

Throw in an offset and I think you'd be fine with the comparator. Example: Befaco Dual Attenuverter.

-- Ronin1973

I'm not convinced - but it might be possible - how would you patch it?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities