I came into this rack through a friend and have very basic knowledge of the modular world but want to know more. Here is the rack I have exactly:

ModularGrid Rack

What would you add, remove or replace and why?

My use for this rack is really unknown, I would like to know WHAT I can do with it as well.

Any insight would be great.

I would replace nothing at the moment. I would make sure that I had plenty of patch cables, including splitters.

I would then spend a lot of time on Youtube learning the basics of modular synthesis as well as any tutorials or reviews of each individual module.

As far as I can tell, there isn't an internal sequencer that offers any pitch information. So you may be a bit limited. I would (I mean me) would buy something like the new Arturia Keystep Pro or equivalent with its own patchable sequencer. There is a MIDI to CV converter if you'd like to use your computer or MIDI sequencer... but I'm talking about the pure patch cable experience.

That would be my take on it.

So, If I were to pick up a Korg SQ-1 or Tiptop Audio Z8000 I would get variable sequencing to go into it? The previous owner was using Native Instruments Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam and his PC, but decided to just use the reaktor 6 program that came with the software, it has WAY more blocks in it then he could ever own, hence the reason I picked it up.

If I grab a sequencer, do I have enough in the modules to have some fun? I have plenty of cables and splitters to work with.

Side note, what would you put on the ardcore? There are alot of sketches out there (no real VCA though).

So, If I were to pick up a Korg SQ-1 or Tiptop Audio Z8000 I would get variable sequencing to go into it? The previous owner was using Native Instruments Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam and his PC, but decided to just use the reaktor 6 program that came with the software, it has WAY more blocks in it then he could ever own, hence the reason I picked it up.

If I grab a sequencer, do I have enough in the modules to have some fun? I have plenty of cables and splitters to work with.

Side note, what would you put on the ardcore? There are alot of sketches out there (no real VCA though).
-- abigroot

The SQ-1 would be an nice entry point into sequencing and not a big hit if you decide to go with something beefier later. You certainly have enough modules to have plenty of fun once you add a sequencer... or even plug it into your computer sequencer. My main point is that using a computer sucks a lot of the "fun" out of modular... especially if the computer isn't ergonomically situated well and you have to move between your computer and your Eurorack.

The Braids module is going to be the easiest to deal with at first. But you're going to have to learn all of its features before playing with it. It can fully produce sounds by itself or be used as more of just-an-oscillator. The Hertz-Donut is a complex oscillator that will probably need to be run through one of your filters and a VCA at a minimum... but it will offer the most "fun" as far as modulation possibilities via other modules.

You have more than enough here to keep you busy for several months. With that time you'll learn which modules you really like and what you're willing to part with.