Hi Hi Everyone!

I'm planning my first modular - I want to create a sample player / synthesizer. So basically a hardware rompler with a ton of modulation and sound manipulation possibilities. So an analog omnisphere in modular

I'd be using it primarily to make spooky techno sounds, so processing metallic samples / cymbals, crashes, pot's and pans ;)

One thing I do allot in my own productions is allot of slow / subtle automation on parameters like decay, delay times, filter cutoff, tiny bit of pitch drifting. Just to get things sounding lo-fi and to add overall movement. So I'd like to build something that could do all that :)

Below is what I planned on modular grid. I also already have a DFAM, and I was planning on using my hardware mixer instead of having an internal module

Tell me what ya think!

Hi Ross9999,

Spooky techno sounds, that sounds quite interesting actually :-) Now I don't know much about techno music, so I can't advise you on that part, however some general points that you might want give some thoughts:

• It's totally okay to use an external mixer however to mix all your (CV and/or audio) signals together it's still useful to have one or two small mixers, because at the end your Befaco output module can only handle a left and right signal and not let's say four input signals and making a left and right out of that, so that's why I believe you still need a (small) Eurorack mixer (it's not a must but I do think it makes things easier in life)
  • I miss some free space in your rack, plan at least some free space so in (near) future you can extend it with some more modules
  • Don't buy all modules in one go. Start with a bit basic stuff, leave the rest empty, get experience and then see if your plan is still the way you thought it would & should be and then buy a next lot of modules, gain again some more experience, etcetera
  • The shown modules in your rack, are that modules you have already tested at your local dealer? If not, it's advisable to have as many of those modules tested at your local dealer so you know if the modules are up to your expectations (not having tested modules might cause unpleasant experiences once you got them; there are rare exceptions that of non-tested modules you might get huge positive surprises however, as already mentioned, that are the very rare exceptions, it's usually the other way around)

Good luck with the planning, have fun in modular and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

The problem is that Omnisphere is Omnisphere...attempting to replicate what software can do is pretty pointless when you're talking about something on that level of complexity. I mean, I have Iris2 myself...but I would never try to make hardware behave like it, because it just won't.

Anyway, this build sure does look expensive. As in, some parts are pointlessly so. And there's loads missing; how do you expect to use the Doepfer A-155 without its companion controller module, for example? Where are the attenuverters? The submixers? Where are the modules that make these expensive ones actually usable? Oh, they're boring? Tough. They're also necessary.

First of all, take your ten most expensive modules in this build and find suitable replacements at a more sensible price. That alone will drop the cost of this down, potentially by over a grand. And make things SMALLER...84 hp is a lot tighter than you think!

Second, you seem to have some ideas of how modulars function...but the ideas still seem to have flaws (like thinking you'll be fine with only an external mixer...and if you think so, then how do you intend to mix any of your modulation signals?). Prior to blowing money on an expensive rig like this with limited functionality due to uninformed choices, I would strongly suggest getting a copy of VCV Rack and exploring how things work in that virtual Eurorack environment. Some things are different, true, but the BASICS remain the same and it's from that that one learns what parts must be in a synth build for proper functionality.

Definitely keep working...but not on this version.

Hi Ross9999,

Spooky techno sounds, that sounds quite interesting actually :-) Now I don't know much about techno music, so I can't advise you on that part, however some general points that you might want give some thoughts:

• It's totally okay to use an external mixer however to mix all your (CV and/or audio) signals together it's still useful to have one or two small mixers, because at the end your Befaco output module can only handle a left and right signal and not let's say four input signals and making a left and right out of that, so that's why I believe you still need a (small) Eurorack mixer (it's not a must but I do think it makes things easier in life)
  • I miss some free space in your rack, plan at least some free space so in (near) future you can extend it with some more modules
  • Don't buy all modules in one go. Start with a bit basic stuff, leave the rest empty, get experience and then see if your plan is still the way you thought it would & should be and then buy a next lot of modules, gain again some more experience, etcetera
  • The shown modules in your rack, are that modules you have already tested at your local dealer? If not, it's advisable to have as many of those modules tested at your local dealer so you know if the modules are up to your expectations (not having tested modules might cause unpleasant experiences once you got them; there are rare exceptions that of non-tested modules you might get huge positive surprises however, as already mentioned, that are the very rare exceptions, it's usually the other way around)

Good luck with the planning, have fun in modular and kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

Thank you so much! Those are some very insightful and useful tips. I'll make sure that I build this up slowly then & get more mixers. Yes I do go and try stuff out, most of this is youtube inspired. But trying stuff in the store is definitely where I fall in love.

The problem is that Omnisphere is Omnisphere...attempting to replicate what software can do is pretty pointless when you're talking about something on that level of complexity. I mean, I have Iris2 myself...but I would never try to make hardware behave like it, because it just won't.

Anyway, this build sure does look expensive. As in, some parts are pointlessly so. And there's loads missing; how do you expect to use the Doepfer A-155 without its companion controller module, for example? Where are the attenuverters? The submixers? Where are the modules that make these expensive ones actually usable? Oh, they're boring? Tough. They're also necessary.

First of all, take your ten most expensive modules in this build and find suitable replacements at a more sensible price. That alone will drop the cost of this down, potentially by over a grand. And make things SMALLER...84 hp is a lot tighter than you think!

Second, you seem to have some ideas of how modulars function...but the ideas still seem to have flaws (like thinking you'll be fine with only an external mixer...and if you think so, then how do you intend to mix any of your modulation signals?). Prior to blowing money on an expensive rig like this with limited functionality due to uninformed choices, I would strongly suggest getting a copy of VCV Rack and exploring how things work in that virtual Eurorack environment. Some things are different, true, but the BASICS remain the same and it's from that that one learns what parts must be in a synth build for proper functionality.

Definitely keep working...but not on this version.
-- Lugia

Thanks for your feedback! I'll definitely put some more sub mixers in there & probs take out the Furthrrrr Generator, maybe clouds, but the more expensive vco's and filters just sound thick & juicy enough to justify the price