Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to all of this but I'm super interested in developing an ambient-focused setup. I'm planning on getting the Intellijel 7U performance case for the connection capabilities and portability. I've been watching a bunch of videos about Eurorack (ambient and general) and have tried taking notes on what makes a "complete" setup, but I have never done this before and would absolutely love any advice on my setup so far and how to make it better! I know Clouds is discontinued but I've already got one (it's the only thing modular-related I own!). :)

Thanks so much!

Well, for one thing, this build is a bit too small to support two sets of mults. You might lose the 1U mult, as it's easily replaced by using inline mults or stackcables. Keep the Links, though.

Ears. Why? The Intellijel has external inputs, and you've got the stereo tile for it. If the idea is to have a "controller"-ish thing, then there's a few options for that, but the overall build seems deficient on LFOs. "Generative" tends to imply a lot of automated processes, and LFOs are the best way to generate cyclical waveforms that can work those. Removing the Ears and then dropping in a Doepfer A-145-4 gives you four of them under manual control.

But one caveat: generative composition tends to require a considerably larger build than this. I'm not saying it can't be done...but I am saying that trying to do that in a smaller build will be a bit frustrating since you don't have the modules to establish multiple signal paths. This can be especially true if you're doing ambient work, where one of the important musical factors is the variation in timbre between voices spread out along the timeline (see Eno's "1/1" for an example here). You might consider a bigger case to start with if you're sure that this is the direction you want to go in. So far, everything seems pretty decent...save for that build size issue.