alt text

Hello,
I'm trying to finish this rack, its main purpose is to mangle field recordings and effecting/mangle my other synths sound (0-Coast and Folktek Mescaline).
I currently own all the modules, out of the rack I have the following modules available: X1L3 Wreckage, 4ms RCD and 2 TTA One samplers.
I enjoy resampling with the PG simple sounds, like birds chirping, then mangling them in something different.

I'm having the feeling it is still missing something though, some extra modulation (like a straightforward LFO with different shapes and a dedicated analogue noise source for the SM), and more tools to process sound (a filter bank maybe?)

I'm planning to sell soon the MI Ripples, as after a year owning it, I'm still not liking it for my "needings".

What are your thoughts? How would you improve it?
Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Harko93,

Well, looking at your rack, I don't see too many VCOs, EGs and filters, since you are going to ditch the Ripples ;-) Depending on your own needs, you might want to look into those components. LFOs perhaps as well?

My main advice would be not too hurry with it, take your sweet time for it and rather extend it module by module then getting everything in one go.

Good luck with the planning of the rest of your rack, enjoy modular and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi GarfieldModular and thank you for the quick reply,
I'm already looking for another filter to replace Ripples on the future, as I don't think I could get away with the SMR4P alone :)
I'll try to look also into these other kinds of modules, I'm not feeling the "lack" of a proper VCO, but I do feel the few EGs and LFOs!
There is any "bread and butter" LFO you would recommend me for this rack?

Hi Harko93,

Difficult to advise on an already existing rack, since I don't know your (background) thinking of how you came to this rack, the ideas behind it, etcetera; but I will give it a try:

In my opinion you could do this two ways (or both, perhaps the best!). One way is, adding a nice basic LFO for some simple but good LFO modulation, nothing fancy, just a semi-plain LFO, that can provide you sometimes at least as much fun as a "fancy" LFO. For a good and basic LFO, I can recommend the Doepfer A-145-1 LFO, it's a basic but good LFO and it has parallel outputs for the different wave shapes: pulse, triangle, sine, saw and reverse-saw. It has a switch for speed ranges: low, medium and high that enables you to use this from being a slow LFO to a pretty fast one. This is a reliable LFO that I use in almost all of my patches and I am really happy with it. Naturally you can take any other "basic"/"plain" LFO you prefer, this is just an example.

The other way would be the opposite and get a wild or "fancy" LFO that might give you a lot of more modulation possibilities. If you really want something seriously crazy then I can recommend the Erica Synths - Black Octasource, I call this a psychopath of a module, which it really is :-) In a positive way that is. Because this module is so crazy, you need some time to understand it and tame this beast but once you get it under your control (can you ever have a psychopath under control...? ;-) ) you can really have joyful modules with your dullest modules and you get very interesting results.

Since a basic LFO doesn't need to be too expensive, I would actually advise to take two LFOs, a good basic one, and a "fancy" one, so you can do everything you want from basic stuff to crazy stuff.

Good luck with the choice(s) of LFOs and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads