Please comment, give advice on the rack (well two skiffs) that I have sort of cobbled together: ModularGrid Rack

I currently own all of the modules in these two skiffs (except for the Disting, Stages, Quad Invert and Morphagene). I would like to make ambient type music. Here are a few YouTube videos that I really like the sounds/moods of:

Am I going in the right direction here with my current module choices and what I am thinking of adding? Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks

Hi Fancylad,

Did you already bought those modules shown in your two-row rack? If not yet, I would recommend not to take so many large modules in one go. Get started slowly and build up your rack after some time to provide you some experience and impressions, leave some (planning-) HP-space in your rack for (near-) future extension possibilities.

Difficult to say from videos what you need, unless you want to copy someone on a one-to-one basis but that wouldn't be my approach. That video about the Make Noise Telharmonic, quite nice one but why don't I see that module (Telharmonic) in your rack? Not that I am saying you must get a Telharmonic but then again, why did you show that video? ;-)

Look into some basic components like (simple) VCOs, EGs, filters, VCAs and a mixer perhaps. I just clicked on your rack link and I see you have removed the René module, yes, I think that's a wise decision, took for such a small setup too much space. Then have a look at these 3 modules: Make Noise - Morphagene & Erbe-Verb and 4ms - Dual Looping Delay, that are 3 large effects modules. I am sure those modules are nice and give you nice effects but to start with such small rack, do you really need straight away from the beginning to start with 3 large modules, those modules? My advice is: ditch two of them and keep the one you prefer most. Use the free space for reserve and for those above mentioned classic components, of which I see you got here and there already so your beginning isn't too bad just reconsider here and there a few modules.

Why do you need three modules of those 8-LFO modules of DivKid ochd? That are 24 LFOs, that a serious lot... I wonder what you are going to do with that? Other than regretting that you didn't use the space for another filter or a utility module or something like that :-) You should start with this one of those modules, if you really like them then get another one together with the growth of your rack, not at once, is my advice. So that would free some more space if you ditch two of those modules (still leaving with one times 8 LFOs).

Unless I overlooked it, I didn't see a mixer in your setup, you might want one before you put the output of such mixer to the planned Rosie module. All the above advice based on the assumption that you haven't bought any thing yet.

Good luck, enjoy modular and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks for the reply. Sorry my rack got all messed up. There was only supposed to be one ochd. I will fix it and lock changes this time.