Hi All.

I am in the process of buying/building my first eurorack. I am a music producer and I can get most of the sounds I want from other sources. What I struggle to get is evolving sounds. I need this synth to be able to do a lot of modulation. In addition to that, it needs to be able to cover from bass sounds to leads and from plucks to pads. But I do not need it to be able to make drum-like sounds (which is why I don't currently have a sequencer). I also can only spend $1,000 on the modules.

I am going to get the Intellijel Palette case. In addition to that, there are a few modules I am going to get no matter what. They are the 3 Intellijel 1U modules and the Behringer 150. I also need some way of having velocity control (which is the sole purpose of the VCA but that is only the most effective way I found. I am not necessarily "locked in" to that specific VCA if there is a better way). Beyond that, I want your guys input on if there is anything I should change.

I also don't know how to post an in-line picture in the forum so I have attached a link to the eurorack here: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1232114.jpg?1591801855 . If that doesn't work, you can find my rack by searching "Loiben"

It's going to be tough to get what you are describing ("a lot of modulation, bass, leads, plucks, pads") from this setup. What you have built is not too much different than a Behringer Crave, which can be found for about $200-$250. I would recommend picking up a semi-modular (Crave, Mother 32, 0-Coast) for these duties and using the palette case to supplement that with more interesting modules like Plaits, or maybe even an E352? An Intellijel Quadrax or DivKid Ochd will give you a fair amount of modulation. Happy Nerding makes a lot of nice inexpensive 6hp modules like a 3xVCA and many more. I would recommend doing a bit more research before you pull the trigger on this rack so you get the results you describe under your price point.
Something to consider.
Have fun and good luck!

You're going to burn up $1000 in a heartbeat and not get anywhere. Unless you have a budget of around $3000+, you're going to have more of a novelty than a system that you can use to get the results you want.

Buy a Behringer Deepmind 12D. Tons of modulation possibilities and way under your budget.

Ronin,

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into it.

Farkas,

What makes the setup difficult for me get what I am trying to achieve? How would I be able to improve the functionality so that the outcome is closer to what I am trying to achieve? I am not necessarily talking about modules specifically, but what type of functionality do you think is missing that I should try to add (ie: different lfo shapes, a more "flexible" oscillator, etc)?

The input has been much appreciated

I would think that you might want something like a Triple Sloths or Zadar for unusual or evolving modulation. I just got the Ochd, and it is outstanding with eight "organic" LFOs in 4hp.
Yes, I think a different oscillator would be wise. The oscillators you picked out are ok for basic wave shapes, but you probably won't get great pads with these. Plaits is popular in these small racks for a reason due to its broad range of synthesis types. There is even a 6hp micro Plaits that would provide you with more options than the oscillators you have chosen. Maybe even the Cursus Iteritas for a wavetable-ish oscillator that can do evolving sounds with some modulation. For the "pluck" sounds, you might want a low pass gate in addition to VCAs and envelopes.
I'm not familiar with the 1u modules you have chosen. Will one of them provide triggers for envelopes or gates to keep everything in time like a Pamela's New Workout or other master clock/clock divider? How will you sequence or play everything? Do you have something like a Beatstep Pro, or will you need a sequencing module?
Ronin is right in that a Deepmind or something like that will get you closer to what you want for far less money, unless you have plans to expand beyond this palette case considerably. Unfortunately, that's kind of the state of modular synthesizers.
Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

I'll look into the other VCOs. The first 1U module on the left is the Intellijel Midi 1U. It has outputs for a clock (and at a 1/16 rate), pitch, gate, trigger, cc, mod wheel, velocity, run, and reset. I was thinking that I would use the 4 4-out mults I have (the 2x4 part of the Palette and the 2x4 module) for the gate, pitch, clock, and have a 4th one as patch-dependent. The velocity out I would connect to the 1U VCA (which is the sole reason for the VCA in the first place) which would be the last module in the chain before I send it on out using the Line Out 1U module. I would use this with an Arturia Keylab midi keyboard or one of my other synths that have a midi out. I go back and forth with adding the Dnipro Modular Dot sequencer. If I were to add the Dot module, I would replace the Behringer VCO with a smaller sized VCO (probably a duplicate of the other VCO I currently have in there). I like the idea of having a sequencer but I don't think I would get a ton of value out of one for the kind of sound I would use this synth for.

I didn't know of the Deepmind but now that I have been looking into it I am strongly considering buying it