hi there
ive been having fun watching videos and learning recently, but i think i've hit a point where feedback would be useful
i dont have any of this so far, and i have a few questions.. hope this isn't frustrating for regular users. im not planning to build anything soon but i thought itd be good to hear others thoughts on what ive been picturing in my head
i'd like to build towards a 7u 104hp intellijel case, and i'd like to do it slowly. but i also wanted to have an idea in mind to work towards, and look forward to (obviously subject to change..)
i would be planning to sequence with a squarp pyramid hence the lack of sequencing in the case, and that would be the primary use of the fh-2. i haven't included something like Scales for that reason as well, but is that a mistake? most effects processing would be taking place externally but i thought between the disting and the springray id have some good options in the case as well.

ModularGrid Rack

i like the idea of having a complete voice to begin with and love the sound of the atlantis/sh-101.. the harmonic oscillator a totally different approach which appeals as well. id like to be working with interesting resonances, harmonics, textures and timbre in addition to conventionally melodic ideas, with the possibility to work with chords. the two filters seem very different and it seems like id get a lot out of the belgrad self oscillating. i thought i probably had noise source covered between the atlantis and the disting? rings is in the case primarily to work with external instrument signals
is there anything here that would be completely redundant? im wondering if maths, batumi and planar2 are all necessary, and i was wondering if id find it useful to have something like Mutamix in the case..
would it be more useful for me to have the synth voices and oscillators in the bottom row, and the utilities/function generators in the top by the 1u modules?

Hi Later On Maybe,

It certainly helps when you have the sequencer and most of the effects external so you can optimise the space here in this rack.

My advice is to not plan the rack entirely full but leave close to one row empty first, gain some experience with the modules you are going to start with and then review your own planning how you like to proceed.

Though you mentioned that you would like to have a complete voice like the Atlantis, for a small rack like this I would reconsider that if I were you. Instead you could consider to take a hybrid modular system, like for example a Neutron. A) It's much cheaper and B) it saves you a lot of space in your rack.

The Atlantis is 40 HP that is 19.2% or almost one-fifth of your total available rack space... are you sure you want to fill up your rack with such large modules and soon need to buy yet another rack?

The same question goes for the Harmonic Oscillator from Verbos, I don't know the module but I am quite sure it's a fantastic oscillator, especially when you look at the price then it must be something ;-) Look at the HP space as well... 32 HP, another 15.4% gone.

So leave these two modules out and you save yourself 72 HP or 35% of rack space --> that's more than a third of your total available rack space! So you might want to reconsider these two modules.

Instead you could consider a Plaits from Mutable Instruments and a Dixie II+ from Intellijel; just some examples, you can add any other oscillator you like. My advice is start simple and when you are ready for it you still can buy another rack and go for the large & heavy stuff.

The 1 U passive multiple, do you really need that when you get started? Perhaps not yet, right? So my advice is to leave that out first and keep some 1 U space as a reserve. The same goes for that FSR 1 U module, I am sure that the first few times using that module is a lot of fun, but on the long run a good investment? Perhaps consider an expression pedal instead on the long run?

Instead of the 1 U pedal module I would consider a 1 U Audio I/O module. Then once you bought your 2nd Intellijel 2 x 104 HP case then you could consider the 1 U pedal module. You don't believe me that you are going to need a second rack? Well the way you plan your rather large (don't take too small modules either though) slurping HP-modules ;-) You need a 2nd casing faster than you can say: "Shit my first rack is already full! I didn't expect that to happen" ;-)

I might overdo it here a little bit but I hope you get my point :-)

Oh yes, I am not sure but I don't think I saw a mixer in your rack, consider a four channel mixer so you can mix that to a stereo output to your external mixer.

I guess for a starter this should help you a bit I hope, shout if you need to know more. Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads