Hi All. In February I bought a Mother 32 on a whim and it opened my eyes to the wide world of modular. I Immediately bought a DFAM to go with it and since then have been filling up a rack with modules. I've always used software synths in the past but the process of researching and building an instrument specific to me has been exciting. My problem is I want all the modules! I could definitely use some guidance on what modules would go best with my current setup and space.

I have a mantis and rackbrute 3u. Outside of that I have a drumbrute impact and keystep along with the Moogs. I've been relying on the drumbrute for drums but would like to replace it with drum modules eventually. Before that though I feel like I have a couple big holes. The clock divider on the uO_C (running hemisphere) is inadequate. I was thinking of getting a Pams next but maybe a straight clock divider would be sufficient? I also feel the need for a gate sequencer to go with the voltage block. I've been getting by using the M32 sequencer and uO_C trigseq but the varigate 4+ seems like a logical combo. Really intrigued by the Rene 2 but I'm thinking it will take up too much space. Also on the lookout for a good envelope generator (4ms PEG?). Maths does the job for now but I'd like more options. The disting ex is still on order so it may fill in some of these holes.

I'd like to have more of a 'live' instrument. I can get some really cool sequences and grooves going with what I have but then I get stuck on how to transition to something else. Maybe some mutes and a sequential switch would help? I'm also looking strongly at getting a Mimeophon. I just love washed out delays as a sort of 'wall of sound' I can play sequences over. I can somewhat get that from the uBurst but it spins out of control too easily.

I tend towards noisy industrial sounds but would like to be able to create more melodic danceable techno. I always loved 90s era trance music.

I've read through a lot of other threads here, I know you guys give great advice. Eager to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

Hi Eonblue77,

How about going to a hotel room and playing around with your modular rack and using headphones, shut yourself off from the rest of the world and enjoy modular synthesizers? ;-)

But I guess that's not really what you wanted to know, "where to go with your rack" :-)

Okay then, regarding your rack, the size is kind of okay I think, for starters. It's good to keep some space free, keep roughly one row free, if possible a bit more because you will see that you need that free space in the (near) future. But that's what you already did, so that's good!

You might consider one more VCO/DCO, perhaps an EG more too beside the Maths? What I completely miss (or did I overlooked that?) are LFOs. Didn't really see them, not as such at least.

How are you going to "output" your sound from the modular rack to the outside world? An audio I/O module would be helpful here, if you take one with headphones output you can use your rack with headphones too (to go to that suggested hotel room). But of course you can use headphones via your external mixer too (that's what I do and feel is most practical but that's up to everyone's personal taste of doing things).

Good luck with the planning and have fun with modular :-) Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads