Pretty green when it comes to modular, but have been doing a ton of research, just putting together a rack to get started exploring the foundations of modular. Let me know what you think, suitable substitutions or better options. I have limited my initial exploration to 104HP.

mog00

I would remove the adsr, the dsp, the quad lfo and rosie

do you really need an adsr? generally these are pretty much set and forget so 2hp work really well - or if you need something more variable sellf patch maths - see illustrated manual - if you really need a 'complex' adsr - I'm sure you can find another one that is a nice even 6hp so that you can upgrade the pico dsp to the happy nerding fx aid

the pico dsp is based on the same chip as the fx aid - but the fx aid however is much more versatile - you can swap the programs and can do both stereo in stereo out and mono in stereo out

you have Maths as a modulation source - which imo is enough in this size case - see below on how to make it go further

in my opinion Rosie is pretty pointless and takes up a lot of space for what it is - either use the vca or the effect module as a final stage and listen in mono or the effect module as a final stage and listen in stereo - use a 2hp headphone module if you specifically need headphones - if you desperately want a crossfader you can patch it with maths - see illustrated manual

that would save you 30hp

with that I would put in -
6hp - an original plaits - much more ergonomically friendly
2hp - 2hp headphone module
4hp - fx aid - much more versatile than the pico dsp (and an even size!)
8hp - mutable links and kinks - incredibly useful beginner starter set - adds a buffered mult, 2 utility mixers*, a rectifier, basic logic and a sample and hold - these are all incredibly useful in terms of both audio and (particularly in a small case like this) cv - you can use a minimal amount of modulation - ie Maths - and extend it in many different ways - to produce a further 7 related modulation sources (helps if you get some stackcables for this!) just from kinks

and then either

10hp - AISynthesis matrix mixer - just because matrix mixers rock - AISynthesis seem like a great company - and it fits in 10hp!

or

2hp - 2hp adsr - if you really need an adsr
8hp - doepfer quad vca - because you can never have too many vcas

or

8hp - disting ex - incredibly useful in any sized case - especially for beginners to work out what modules actually do
2hp - 2hp adsr or even better vca

or

4hp - disting mk4 - really useful in any size case - especially for beginners to work out what modules actually do
6hp - leave blank until disting tells you what to put there

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I agree with pretty much everything Jim said. I think when starting out having a disting (mk4 or EX) would be really helpful. It lets you fill in any holes you have in your rack and experiment with a bunch of different things that you can do in eurorack. All of a low footprint and a single price.

Thanks Jim! Being a noob picking modules is like staring into the sun, and I am only getting started.

revised kit

mog00

As always all comments, suggestions are welcome, I am super grateful for the help.

In agreement with what has been said so far and just wanted to drop in a note about the Joranalogue Filter 8: It's complicated.

I know this filter has been getting a lot of praise and has been placed on several "Top 10 modules" lists. I have owned one for about six months. It's a very powerful filter that craves lots of modulation to get the most out of it. If you're just starting out, I'd suggest a filter or two of simpler design. With that 12hp of space, you could have something like the new Mutable Instruments Ripples v2 or a Doepfer A-124 Wasp (classic AND cheap) plus a Steady State Fate MMF pingable VCF or even a Make Noise LxD (low pass gate). This would open the door to lots of creative sound plus a friendly learning curve.

Joranalogue Filter 8, terrific module but big for this case and complicated for someone just getting into modular/eurorack.

Just my 2 cents. :-)

Some thoughts from a relative noobie, but I'd probably swap the Links for an Ochd, I like a lot of potential modulation sources and Ochd's ratios are really nice even if you only use a few outs, this would let you use the Maths in some more interesting ways too. If I was going to pick a different filter I'd choose a Polaris, I like the sound a lot more than the new Ripples, it's more playable, and it has a lot more features. You'd have 2hp to fill there which is a lot less than 4 but might still give you some interesting options.

On another note @JimHowell1970 I hope we see some video work from you one day, that rack looks incredible!

troux Orchd great choice!. All these recommendations have been great thank you.

Latest iteration

mog00

Looking pretty sharp @mog00!

Some thoughts from a relative noobie, but I'd probably swap the Links for an Ochd, I like a lot of potential modulation sources and Ochd's ratios are really nice even if you only use a few outs, this would let you use the Maths in some more interesting ways too. If I was going to pick a different filter I'd choose a Polaris, I like the sound a lot more than the new Ripples, it's more playable, and it has a lot more features. You'd have 2hp to fill there which is a lot less than 4 but might still give you some interesting options.

re ochd - I think 1 modulation source in a case this size is enough - kinks and links together with the matrix mixer provide enough useful utility modules to leverage Maths to suffice all the modulation requirements - ochd (or similar, maybe something with reset) would be a great early addition to the next rack, imo

I like the idea of swapping the filter for ripples or polaris!

On another note @JimHowell1970 I hope we see some video work from you one day, that rack looks incredible!
-- troux

https://www.instagram.com/jimhowell1970 - enjoy

the case is more logical than physical - it's not all in one case, chromagnon is on order and the bottom 2 rows are my wish list - as is the fortress and diver is in for repair

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I will likely get a mantis case so I have room to grow but want to limit my first rack to a single row. With that being said I could take out the mmf, lxd, and hpo as you suggested originally Jim and put the mixer back. The ochd looks really nice but if you think links is more versatile with maths I could go that route. So many options but a good exercise and I appreciate all the feedback.

More filters or mixer, links vs ochd decisions decisions

If you are going to get a Mantis (great case btw, I have 1) then it really doesn't matter as you will have space left over anyway, ochd is a fine octal lfo, but in a small case with other modulation I think links is slightly more useful

to me really it comes down to this - buy a few modules - play with them - once you know them inside out, get another and repeat, within one or two modules you will work out which modules you need anyway

That’s the goal, I want to experiment and grow the second row after I am better able to decide what is missing coming from a more informed desire to fill a gap. All the guidance has been great and much appreciated. I don’t want to fall into analysis paralysis but looking for a solid foundation that forces creative use of limited mods.

Another question, any recommended cable brands to get or stay away from. I know this is a bit of personal preference but with so many to choose from, any go to sources great value/price ratio are welcome.

Nice @jimhowell1970, just gave you a follow!

Thanks @troux and anyone else who did the same off the back of this thread!!!

@mog00 - it really depends on the individual - I like the make noise, erica synths, mutable (braided) cables and stackcables - I also have doepfer, arturia and tinrs - which I'm not so keen on (although the tinrs are really useful) - generally the important things are flexibility, reliability and the size of the plugs and cable - cables aren't expensive just buy a few different ones and try them out - try to aim for roughly 1/2 the number of jacks you have in the case - at some point you'll need less - but it's a good starting point

Let the fun begin

first modules and case arrived today

Nice @mog00, how're you liking the new modules?

have fun!!!

Mantis case was a great buy, I highly recommend this case for all beginners. I am filling my case as I go having a blast, hope to push some patches out soon. I made a few additions based on module availability.

Thanks for all you suggestions I have a new addiction, always a module short.

this user has left ModularGrid

Welcome to modular and eurorack! I am new as well and learning constantly. Folks are helpful and kind here. Mantis case looks solid- I will probably pick one up to put a decent sequencer, mixer, FX and utilities and few more voices/LFOs/ring modulators in as my 2nd 6U case is almost full.

"Thanks for all you suggestions I have a new addiction, always a module short."

You called it lol, glad you're having fun.

this user has left ModularGrid

Indeed eurorack and modular are some of the most addicting fun hobbies ever and the cutting edge of creative music world! I have been able to create the weirdest sounds that before were not as easy to do. Coming from a guitar and piano background, modular opens up millions of experimental options. Just watch that budget as it can be super expensive. I am trying to limit myself to my two 6U racks one of which is half full already the other completely full before spending another penny on gear.

Now for cables- I really like the longer Hosa eurorack patch cables they are solid so far but I did accidentally bend the end of one so always buy more than you think you need as you will run out after more complex patching! I like having a few stackable Tip Top audio cables so useful to use like passive mults which are key in a modular setup.

For brands, so far IME/Harvestman and Noise Engineering make the craziest wacked voice modules for many sound shaping options best suited for techno and industrial type stuff which I love. I like my core Doepfer modules they mix well with other brands and are solid built and sound decent as well. Intellijel makes good utility modules as does Mutable Instruments- love the Kinks and Links in my setup that Jim recommended to me a while back. While I do like the Richter Anti-Oscillator and Dual Borgh Filter a lot, the Malekko Quad Envelope and Varigate 4+ are trickier to figure out to do what I want in a sequencer and envelope generator. Plus Malekko support is sorely lacking! They don't even have manuals or solid documentation for a lot of their stuff!
Seriously, Malekko get your collective stuff together or I am never buying anymore of your gear!

On the other hand, folks at Intellijel, IME/Harvestman and Noise Engineering as well as Doepfer have been wonderful in answering my questions and technical issues right away when I had problems with their modules.

Current rack,

First two rows is what I have (the LxD and Lubadh are on order). The third row is what I am planning to add. Seems like I am always looking for an attenuverter/mixer and the 3xMIA is a lot in a small package. I wanted more envelopes to free up more of maths.

Let me know what you think about the third row, the FH-2 is mandatory but the rest is just based on what I find myself looking for to balance the voices and effects (I couldn't resist the uBurst as I like clouds, but didn't need a full-size or even the monsoon, mine is silver/white panel just no option to select that from the modules).

I do find links and kinks in every patch so that was extremely helpful.

mog00

Looks like I will be needing a second mantis very soon, love that case the value/HP curve is the best in the market imho, while I would love a custom finished wood cab, it's hard to justify that over more modules ;)

Looking good so far. Re:envelopes, I haven't really liked the Quadrax much and would take a second Maths over it for sure. As always depends on a lot on what you're trying to get out of it but the feel and range weren't working for me.

I have been debating between the Quadrax and the Zadar. The menu diving of the Zadar has me somewhat turned off. I have a squarp pyramid and some other outboard gear for that fun. My emu proteus is gathering dust because programming it is a bear (at least for me). I have also given thought to a second Maths but I think I will hold off on that until I start on my second 6U.

Other options for quad envelopes, doesn't have to be in a single module but don't want to consume more than a quadrax or zadar?

I can't speak to other quad envelope generators, but I also have a Zadar and tbh it's pretty easy to use. I'd rate it higher than the Quadrax but lower than Maths.

Its the HP that is a killer. It seems like 1 Maths/6U is a good ratio. I am going to chew on this for awhile perhaps after some more patching I will feel differently. Math's is great but would like a dedicated envelope generator. I guess would you replace both your quadrax and zadar for a second Maths?

So I'm actually gonna sell my Quadrax, my Zadar is in my ambient rack (Maths is in my acid rack) and it fits great there because it can create like weird crazy 60 minute cycles or drive melodies or be just a regular old envelope generator. In my acid rack I also have a Serge DUSG, and TBH I could see myself trading that for another Maths and maybe a Javelin, but we'll see.

One module along these lines to not neglect: 4ms's PEG. Similar to the Maths, this can give cycles of up to 30 minutes.

Nice one @lugia.

I have a love hate relationship with modules over 14hp. I love the fact that the controls aren't squeezed in and hate that I need more cases to use them. What have I got myself into.

Playability's a big deal, but I find that I like a good mix, half bigger modules and then squeeze a bunch of smaller support or focused modules in to support them. For example: ModularGrid Rack

If that approach makes sense to you the question becomes: how important are envelopes in your overall rack?