Hello!

I'm new to modular, old to synths/synthesis, ready to dive in. Not trying to go overboard, so wanted to start with a small palette case and a few core modules. I need some advice on my selection and perhaps some suggestions on where I could go from here:

ModularGrid Rack

Basically, going for a great sounding Roland-like voice (missing from my collection) with some fun generative capabilities that I wouldn't be able to produce with a standard non-modular.

• Pachinko
    A clone of marbles. Was pretty blown away by the demos of this thing. Thinking this would act as the "brain" of this build, or just a cool source of modulation if I'm using external midi.
  • Dixie II+
    Solid analog voice with decent modulation capabilities. Open to other options as well, though leaning towards something analog. Must have some stuff to modulate.
  • Jove
    This thing sounds so good! Sad that it's hard to track down the smaller version, but willing to have a larger filter for better "playability". Also I like the extra features on this one.
  • Javelin
    Was really impressed by the features on this envelope. I know that envelopes aren't must-haves in all systems, but coming from a world where I have 2-3 at my disposal, this would be nice to have. Fairly slim module as well.
  • Pique
    Peaks clone. Tons of features in a small package. Figured it would be good in a smaller system like this one.

Open to feedback on that selection. On to things that I want to expand, mostly utilities such as:
- Attenuverter/attenuator
Was looking at Lapsus Os for this, seems really cool but maybe overkill. Quadratt 1U might be the way to go since I have that extra space.
- Clock
Pachinko gives me some control over this so not sure how necessary, would like feedback on that.
- Mixer
Can't decide if this is a necessity, might be nice to have a small one.
- FX
Totally not a must-have, this is a small system and I have other gear for that. So only would want small modules for this that really add something. The Intellijel Digiverb sounds pretty good, so perhaps that if I have any space in the 1U.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! Super excited to start this journey and grateful for any wisdom you can share.

this user has left ModularGrid

Just a matter or preference:

You're probably good with Pachinko, but as a principal I only get original MI modules if available. Ergonomics of the originals can't be beat. Maybe look at Pamela's New Workout for some randomization in a smaller package than Marbles

I'd drop the envelope generator and go with a function generator. Joranalog Contour is a favorite if you want to save space.

You'll want a VCA. Quad is overkill for a small system, but check out Veils, Intellijel Quad VCA, or ALM Tangle Quartet if you're planning on expanding. You could also look at a envelope + VCA combo module like A-142-2 Dual Envelope Controlled VCA.

As cliched (and HP expensive) as it sounds, I'd want to add a Maths in a smaller system like this. Will open up a lot of possibilities and can be a standin module for a lot of functions while you learn the basics, also does envelopes very well imho. You have limited space, and it is a big module, but I keep being surprised at how much I enjoy working with it and how much I learn from it.

this user has left ModularGrid

As cliched (and HP expensive) as it sounds, I'd want to add a Maths in a smaller system like this. Will open up a lot of possibilities and can be a standin module for a lot of functions while you learn the basics, also does envelopes very well imho. You have limited space, and it is a big module, but I keep being surprised at how much I enjoy working with it and how much I learn from it.
-- troux

Yeah Maths would be good! Or take a look at Stages as a function / envelope generator, sequencer and more.

Thanks for your responses! I feel like I was focused too much on optimizing on space where I should be more worried about user experience. Ended up finding a good deal on a 150hp powered case, which will really open things up. Will take a more serious look at maths now. Joranalogue Contour also impressed me, which is similar in function I believe, though smaller so not as powerful.

Someone just put up their dixie II+ and quad VCA for a good price, so I bit. It has begun!

Again, thank you for your feedback, really helped adjust my perspective. Will update this thread as I start putting something together.

The acquiring of modules has begun. Here's where I'm at for anyone interested:

ModularGrid Rack

Trying out Ornament and Crime as a multi-functional module to see if I like it. Figured it can be a flexible stand-in for what a patch is missing, whether that be LFO's, envelopes, a quantizer, or something weirder.

Went with the Joranalogue Filter 8 for my starting filter instead of the Jove. While not as sonically pleasing, it's got an insane amount of sound sculpting options. I can always pick up a Jove down the road when I'm itching for a new filter.

Other than that, original marbles, dixie II+, quad vca, and a few utils to get me started. Will probably want an attenuverter soon.

There's a big math-shaped hole in my rack. After I get more comfortable with these modules, that's next on my list. Or something like it at least.