this user has left ModularGrid

Hi all,

I am working on a new build and want suggestions on where to place modules in my new Doepfer 6U case.

ModularGrid Rack

With the placement of the power supply on bottom right of second row, no sound sources can go there. Wanted to get thoughts on where to place my oscillators, filters, LFO, utilities and so forth. Open to comments and feedback as to what else my setup could benefit from.

Aim for this: sound up, control down. Try and get your entire audio chain into ONE tier, preferably the top one due to the P/S issue. By putting your modulation, control, etc in the LOWER row, you avoid the P/S noise issue, since induced noise on those modules doesn't really have any consequences to speak of. Also, try and keep your flow left to right up top, and co-locate the modulation sources in the bottom row. For example, if you know you'll be using a certain EG with your VCF quite a bit of the time, then have the EG in close proximity below the filter.

Yeah, it's an effin' puzzle, I know. But it IS the right way to make things work. Go look at an ARP 2600 and you'll see what I mean.

Many thanks Lugia! Appreciate the help as my new case arrives this week and I want to build it right. Put the two VCOs and filters up top row and bottom row the mixer, quad VCA and quad envelope (Intellijel Quadrax) and leave space in left for more sound sources. Do VCAs count as sound sources or control sources?

Many thanks Lugia! Appreciate the help as my new case arrives this week and I want to build it right. Put the two VCOs and filters up top row and bottom row the mixer, quad VCA and quad envelope (Intellijel Quadrax) and leave space in left for more sound sources.

one or 2 maybe - remember they need supporting modules too!!

Do VCAs count as sound sources or control sources?
-- sacguy71

VCAs are neither sound sources or control sources they are sound and control processors/modifiers

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi Jim,

I did order a MI Kinks and MI Links support modules as well for utilities processing ya know :-)

Besides these what do you recommend for support modules and why? I have plenty of free space to add these. Thank you for clarify the purpose of VCAs. Being new to modular, I am still wrapping my head around how a lot of these things work.

I think I'd just wait and see - keep patching and when you find yourself reaching for something that isn't there... or think of a patch and you are missing something - a sequential switch for example - then look for that - or just spend some time on modulargrid looking through different functions - maybe set the manufacturer to doepfer and read the descriptions and imagine how you would use this module - if you can see it fitting in with the modules you already have then - if something interests you look for similar modules by other manufacturers - watch videos - work out if the potentially more expensive one is that much better than the doepfer - maybe with doepfer you need 2 modules to do what the other module does, but that makes it much more versatile

I'd also spend some time working through manufacturers (this is what I did) - order the modules by price and read the description if anything looks good... then hit you tube

Nowadays I generally just know what I need - vaguely look at new modules as they are released and go - meh...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

@JimHowell1970, right, that is my approach. Just getting ideas how to place modules in new case. Sound sources top row and left bottom and non-sound bottom right like sequencers and envelopes.

there are lots of theories on how to organise modules

clumps of functionality, clumped voices, voices left to right etc etc - you have to work it out for yourself - try a few different strategies and find the one that works best for you

but generally hands on control at the front tends to work best - joysticks, touchpads etc, sequencers - it really depends on the sequencer - and where the jack sockets are!

@JimHowell1970

Thanks, well the main issue is ease of use and good workflow and mitigate issue around hum from the Doepfer power supply location.

Thinking of having VCOs and filters on top row and bottom left and sequencer/controller/mixer of bottom right part. Ideally a 3-4 row case that folds out so bottom layer with controllers and sequencers at fingertips. Saving up for case #3 the massive 400-600HP travel case! But no rush.

On a positive note, today I made solid progress after work in learning how to use my Malekko Varigate 4+ sequencer and Malekko Quad Envelope modules. It is quite tricky sequencer but fun once you get hang of it. Changing scales and patterns quickly and save presets is pretty slick for a small module. Same with the Malekko Quad Envelope- can use various EG patterns including forward, reverse and random. It is definitely an EG on steroids! That said, long term I need a powerhouse sequencer that can do xox tracker style sequencing and ratcheting like the Vector, Nerdseq, and Winter Eloquencer sequencers. I am used to the Elektron sequencer workflow and find most modular sequencers a pain to deal with for complex song chaining and patterns. They are ok for quick and dirty stuff but not composing entire modular tracks.