Hello everybody,

I like taking inspiration from existing systems to decide how I should expand my own. I have an 84hp case and modify my setup regularly, taking from my box of modules (which has been growing with time) to suite my needs of the moment. But I've recently come to the thought that I would prefer to have all my modules in a bigger case to avoid all that (un)screwing and plugging of modules. The current state of my case is the one below, only the first row is "real", modules currently plugged are in the first row, and those in the box are on the second row:
ModularGrid Rack

I've been looking to many systems and the the setup that seems the most interesting to me at the moment is from the VST synth called Aalto by Madrona Labs, and so I was thinking it could be a cool idea to try to recreate it in eurorack format. The great surprise is that it does not necessitate buying many more modules than the ones I already have, only a Mimeophon, a 2hp Verb, and a 68hp case. This is what I'm considering:
ModularGrid Rack

What do you think of this setup? What would you add or change? What do you think I am missing?

looks ok - not enough utility for my liking (sub mixing, panning, matrix mixer for modulation etc)

can't comment on how close it is to aalto though - never used it

If you are going to go for a bigger case I would go for a mantis (reasonably priced with decent power) - that way you will have space left over - if you don't like gaps get some blind panels

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for your answer Jim!

I have a few modules I can use as mixers (Moddemix, Shades, 3xVCA and Quad VCA) and in other ways if necessary

Regarding the case, I really only have a small desk with limited space available, so I don't think a bigger case is a good idea for me.

Thanks for your answer Jim!

I have a few modules I can use as mixers (Moddemix, Shades, 3xVCA and Quad VCA) and in other ways if necessary

Regarding the case, I really only have a small desk with limited space available, so I don't think a bigger case is a good idea for me.

-- Martebar

you appear to have a mix of mono and stereo modules - but no panning to get from mono->stereo

re more space - there's always - the wall, the floor or a new desk!!!

and remember 1hp is only 5.08mm so an extra 36 hp is a whopping 18.3cm - or 7"

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

I use portable folding DJ desks that work well and also great for live performance and an external mixer but will get a matrix modular mixer in the future.