Hi there,

i need some space in my small Rack to buy the Xaoc Batumi and my idea is to replace my Make Noise Maths with other Modules. Some of my current Modules have the same Features than Maths:

Envelope Generator:
Intellijel Dual ADSR

Attenuator:
Intellijel Quadratt 1U

LFOs:
Malekko Quad LFO

Mixer:
Intellijel Quadratt 1U & Intellijel Quad VCA

The only things that's missing is a Slew Limiter right? Does someone have an idea which Modules are needed to completely replace Maths in my Rack without a loss of Features?

Thanks in Advance

ModularGrid Rack

Maths Without Maths

I always suggest people work their way through the Maths Illustrated manual if they are considering getting rid of Maths - it shows that the sum of the parts is far greater than the value of the parts - if you are only using it for basic utility functions it is a waste, but you should ensure that you are aware of everything else it can do before removing it

this stands even if they have already gone through the illustrated manual once or twice...

in your case not only would I work through the illustrated manual a couple of times with Maths, I would also suggest that you work through it with the modules that you would be left with too...

personally I would get rid of the dual adsr and replace it with a smaller module - there are plenty of dual adsrs in 10hp or less - this would with the 4hp that is free allow enough space to add batumi

the other option would be to just get another case... which would probably be my solution

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Maths Without Maths
-- defragmenteur

Thx, this Video was very informative (and funny). A Make Noise Function or SSF Mini Slew could be a good choice for a Slew Limiter.

personally I would get rid of the dual adsr and replace it with a smaller module - there are plenty of dual adsrs in 10hp or less - this would with the 4hp that is free allow enough space to add batumi> -- JimHowell1970

That's funny because I got my Intellijel Dual ADSR today :)
I like Maths for Inversion, Slew Limiting, as an Enevelope Follower, etc. but I wanted a full and classic Envelope Generator like in my normal Synthesizer (Novation Peak for example).

the other option would be to just get another case... which would probably be my solution
-- JimHowell1970

This would be the beginning of a very expensive Journey and I was successful to avoid that yet ;)

haha - that's why I always try to plan at least a few modules ahead

This would be the beginning of a very expensive Journey and I was successful to avoid that yet ;)

you already started the journey - and remember it's not like going down the pub

I think getting a decent sized case to start with, though, is a big help in the not getting a second case (and once there is a second...) I have wondered what would have happened if I'd started with a bigger case...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

One module I suggest on occasion as a "Maths substitute" is Doepfer's A-171-2, provided you install a pair of them. This doesn't work in many skiff cabs, though, as the 171-2 is 60mm deep. However, it does save a whopping 4 hp. Or a not whopping 4 hp...depends on how you look at it.

On the other hand, we could just all accept that Tony nailed the design of this thing with the current revision and plan for a 20 hp hole that has to be there for it. It's 100% one of those things where the designer makes something so ideal that it would be difficult to totally replace it, like Moog's transistor ladder VCF design.

Agreed. Maths is probably the last module I'd ever sell, because it would be the first I'd buy again.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Will just chime in to agree with Jim, Lugia, and baltergeist, Maths has gone from a "Why did I even buy this?" to one of my favorite modules pretty quickly.

I'm using Function, it's only one complex channel from maths, and you haven't got logic operations, but anyway I find so handy, and you have EOR, EOC, positive and negative outs: 2 gates out, 2 cv out in 8hp. The hang input (doesn't present on maths) has interesants utilities.
So in short, you could do the same thing with one complex channel of maths, and little more.

I'm using Function, it's only one complex channel from maths, and you haven't got logic operations, but anyway I find so handy, and you have EOR, EOC, positive and negative outs: 2 gates out, 2 cv out in 8hp. The hang input (doesn't present on maths) has interesants utilities.
So in short, you could do the same thing with one complex channel of maths, and little more.
-- nokulture

Make Noise Function is more attractive to me than the SSF Mini Slew. I think my future Rack will look like this:

ModularGrid Rack

But I won't sell my Maths. Maybe I'll buy a second Intellijel Stealth Case with Joiner Plates when "Corona" is over and I can get back to a normal 40hour week. Maths is unique and will return later, but now it's time for some Rackspace :)

Make Noise Function is more attractive to me than the SSF Mini Slew.

-- Sammy3000

I guess if you know well how it works maths, and you need more or less the same in less hp... function is a natural choice.
I'm still learning Function, I don't know all its possibilities, but I discover a few of them, and it's amazing. Maybe in future I'll switch to maths, but in this moment function seems ok to me (in less hp).

What about this one? https://cosmotronic.nl/delta-v.html

this user has left ModularGrid

What about this one? https://cosmotronic.nl/delta-v.html
-- 8cloud8

Delta-V looks amazing!

Another idea would be getting two ALM Pip Slope and one ALM O/A/x2

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy-circuits-alm028-pip-slope-mk-ii

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy-circuits-alm010-o-a-x2