Recently got a Mother 32 as an entry into modular synthesis and I'm 100% hooked. The Mother 32 is quite amazing on its own, but I've been slowly trying to plan a 2 row eurorack to build upon it.

It would be 2 rows of 104hp with the Mother 32 racked inside of it.

My main question is, what is the easiest, most minimal way to send Eurorack signal to an audio interface for recording inside of a DAW?

It would essentially be - Eurorack --> 1x Stereo DAW Track --> Plugins for reverb/delay/compression.

I have a Steinberg UR44 as an audio interface. Do I need some small module to attenuate the signal? Appears that the Steinbergs Line Ins only go down to -10db.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks.

@fathomsmoire I use an ES-9 which can send info two ways, but not sure it's really the best idea and it takes up a good amount of space (in fact I got a 4MS Pod just for it). So, I'm curious myself what other people suggest.

I'll guess the most simple solution is...
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-out-v3

Though I have an external Mixer before I head to the computer.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

this user has left ModularGrid

I use a doepfer A-190-4 USB/MIDI to CV module to connect to my PC and record directly into Ableton DAW. Another option is to get a small tabletop MIDI to CV device like the CV.OCD that is small and portable without having to use precious rack space. I plan to get one to use with my Elektron Octatrack now that I have two 6U modular systems and I don't want to have to always use the one in my first system. I also have an external mixer that sometimes I use.

maybe you should just wait and see...

it may be that you don't need anything, if you find that signal too hot - buy a 2hp trim module and try that, if you don't like the results then get an output module

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

@Jim

Agree, no rush. New gear will keep me busy for quite a while especially learn the new IME Kermit and Bionic Lester modules as well as Kinks, Links and Quadrax! BTW- Mutable Instruments gets mad props for coolest modular company. They sent me cool swag case candy with each module - hand crafted wood toys! But I am less impressed with IME they did not even send bloody screws! WTF?

The simplest solution that springs to mind is to use a 3.5mm to 6.3mm (1/4") adaptor into your audio interface. The UR44's mic inputs have gain pots that can act as attenuators to save you some pennies and rack space.

I ended up soldering a wire to replace the adaptor as a nice to have, but it's totally nonessential. Verbos even sell them nowadays.

yeah definitely pick up a few 1/8"->1/4" cables - much better than adapters imo

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Yep, 1/8 to 1/4, straight from your VCAs to the inputs on your interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 gen 2 in my case). I don't use MIDI.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

I don't use midi either - I use a kick sample (available from Make Noise) as a clock to stay in sync

Yeah, the Mother 32 on it's own seems to work just fine going from the 1/4" Line Out straight into the interface. Of course, the volume on the Mother has to be almost all the way down or else it's super loud when monitoring.

Will get some cables or adapters for when I expand.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!