Hello, I am a complete beginner when it comes to modular synthesis. I am looking to hopefully build an ambient drone rack.
I want to be able to patch self-generating sounds on my rack. I'll be honest to say that I am very overwhelmed with the selection of modules available to choose.
I currently own a Mother32 from Moog and looking for modules to complement and help me create ambient awesomeness with it.
I had my mind for the Behringer Eurorack Go due to the built-in power supply.
I link to my rack on here it isn't much and I need help to make the right choices.

ModularGrid Rack
Thank you.

well that ain't gonna get you to generative music - it may be a small step along the way, though - is this what you have now or what you are - I'd suggest that you want a mixer, or better yet a quad cascading vca

I'd probably look at something more 'generative': turing machines, marbles, bloom etc

can't say I'm a fan of the b company or their products, really - I'd go Mantis if possible (for one thing the power supply is more 'right sized' for the case)

If you are confused about the sheer number of modules then I would ignore actual modules for now and think about functionality more - spend some time reading up/watching videos about basic synthesis techniques - both from an east coast and a west coast perspective and then work out what modules you need to achieve that goal

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Jim is correct,

I recommend the Intellijel Quad VCA as it has lots of useful features like attenuators, CV control, boost control in small modular and works great. I also recommend logic modules and sequential switch and good clock source with clock divider/multiplier as these help with generative patches. You have Maths which is a great modulation source for functions and envelopes but a mixer/quad VCA would really help out your setup quite a bit.

Even as cheap as the B. 2 x 140 hp is, you're still paying extra to house and power the M32 in this setup. Not cost-efficient. Leave the Eurorack cab for the things that NEED it, and keep the Mother-32 where it normally belongs.

Also, take Jim's advice here and try and find a better power solution. Just remember that you'll want power that exceeds the draw of the collected modules by about 1/4th-1/3rd of the total to avoid inrush issues at power up and to keep the P/S running cooler. It's the biggest source of heat in ANY modular build, and since heat can also equal instability for various circuits, cooler is what you want.

Being unfamiliar with modular synthesis and building a rig at the same time is generally not going to work out well. Instead of going further with this, I strongly suggest downloading a copy of VCV Rack. This is billed as a "Virtual Eurorack", which isn't wholly accurate inasmuch as some VCV modules really are quite computer-dependent. But the operating, programming, and build principles are 100% the same as Eurorack as long as you don't overtax your computer's resources. By working with this for a while, THEN coming back to a build attempt, you'll find that making sense of the plethora of modules on MG becomes WAY easier.