Despite @Lugia's maxim "Those are for reference only!" I figured I'd grab one from Big City Music, and it's a pretty sick little module, with a range from quad filter marimba pings to weird spacey drone movement. Hopefully I can figure out how to make it sing a bit too. Anyway, here's a chill drone I put together this evening before bed. Hope you enjoy!

https://stevehand.bandcamp.com/track/s-n-rlar

Made with:

ModularGrid Rack

Wow. Beautiful as always @troux. I think this might be my favorite track that you've done.

Thank you @farkas! I'm leaning into Rings into Clouds here a bit which is rare for me, but after putting it through the RES-4 it has a kind of distinct feel. It's likely I'll try more experiments in this direction.

Nice. That's probably the best use of Rings/Clouds I've heard. I have both and have never gotten anything remotely close to this. Haha.

Given the prominence of those two I'll take that as a compliment lol. Rings really is a great module, Clouds I kind of go up and down on, sometimes I love it but it's a persnickety little guy. The A-118-2 helps a lot in getting interesting results in particular, but I'd like to throw a Wogglebug at Clouds too.

One funny note on this rack if you look, there aren't actually any VCAs, I came today to upset all the conventions of modular!!

Yeah, I have never really connected with Clouds. I've heard other people do cool things with it, but I can't seem to get a satisfying result. I do love Rings though.

@farkas it's kind of weird but I think I enjoy Clouds most before or after another delay, to help remove the "This is a delay!" sound that I can't help but notice a lot of the time when there's just one of them. Clouds' smeariness on its own doesn't do it for me, but in layers it can turn into some pretty interesting results.

Outstanding! Really great results.

I do the same with Clouds, often placing it before Mimeophon and stripping out some of the "goo." Often, I modulate Clouds 'texture' to create spikes sent over the Mimeophon. Sometimes, I place QPAS between them to further strip out unwanted elements. I don't own rings, but the RES-4 has intrigued me for a while. I'd like to better understand @Lugia's thoughts on reference only since that's something I understand only at a surface level.

Thanks @mowse! And agreed, Clouds + Mimeophon is a nice combo. As to the "reference only" point I took it to mean "these (meaning Cwejman modules in general) are way too expensive unless you have a specific need," but the RES-4 is a really unique module, so I figured it was worth it.

BTW, how do you like the QPAS @mowse? I've been eying one for awhile and hearing great things.

This was really nice thanks for sharing.

Thanks @mog00, lots of good tunes on the board lately.

Ah, ok. If price point is the thing then I totally get that.

Let me tell you, I -love- QPAS. I know some don't dig how Make Noise does presentation layer. I do dig it. This filter is just so much fun to ping, play, and patch. I like how the filter handles resonance. Knobs and layout are very comfortable. Downside? It's big. I don't mind. To me, it just plays and sounds so good.

Yep...that statement has everything to do with the pricing on the Cwejman stuff. If I'm going to drop $800-ish on a Eurorack filter, it needs to do EVERYTHING...up to and potentially including making coffee and kissing me in the morning. These are prices that I would associate with the expensive end of the West Coast, like Buchla, original Serge, etc. Not Eurorack.

Sure, there ARE some Eurorack modules that cost piles 'n' piles, but they're usually things like the Sinfonion, which are super-complex and pretty unique. But the RES-4 is so akin to the Jurgen Haible resonator...which tends to go for a lot less when you find it...that I think that dropping that much is a mistake. It's sort of like buying a Rolls-Royce: sure, it's expensive...but just like any other car, its value drops by 1/3rd when those tires hit the street for the first time.

Hi Steve,

Wow-hooooo-ho-ho-hooooo! That's a nice lengthy stretching track :-) Beautifully done and very enjoyable to listen at plus this hyper-spaced me even further from home than you usually do ;-)

And then, when I thought, that's it, it's not that's it, you are daring to interrupt very shortly and then continue with this nice drone sound, hoh! Yes! Nice!

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

@mowse, that's just about all the endorsement I need, I like Make Noise's presentation and just their modules in general, really nice stuff.

@Lugia, I hear you, but for one reason or another (probably stemming from my love of the Serge ResEq) I just wanted an RES-4... sometimes we're not rational lol

@GarfieldModular, glad you enjoyed it, and thank for your listening as always, you'll have to tell me where you're going on these hyperspace journeys one day, sounds like quite the trip! Glad to hear you appreciated the interruptions too, they were actually accidents and kind of annoying at the time, but maybe I'll have to do that more often 🤔🤣

Hi Troux,

You are not going to believe me anyway, but okay. So on 13rd of August Mowse managed to hyper-spaced me to planet Xydrtop 4A9, for our earthly understandings a pretty weird planet, but hey, we are not alone here, are we? ;-) Then you managed to hyper-spaced me to planet Ylaolona K9E, yet another jewel of a planet. Thanks to Zopple (commonly used "google" tool in hyper-space only not known here on earth) I can provide you with those names since they are translated from whatever they speak there.

You know, that's the amazing thing once you hyper-spaced away from earth, connect with your Zopple device and it doesn't matter what language you speak or with "whom" you talk, Zopple makes sure "everything" and everyone understands each other, really genius.

By all your previous music and from other members, I have been so much around that I forgot most other planet names but since you are asking, today it was Ylaolona K9E :-) Oh by the way in hyper-space (as we know it), light years as well as parsec are literally unknown beyond earth. In hyper space distance doesn't count so much since most of things are done by mind. So you can't compare it really but what you can imagine with your mind that's in hyper space a so called "doable distance" (aka reasonable distance). Imagine you want to go from planet Xydrtop 4A9 to Ylaolona K9E, right? Then you Zopple that and once you confirmed, my goodness you are already at Ylaolona K9E, it's really that simple!

The problem really is to get away from Earth into hyper space once arrived in hyper space, you actually can do really everything. Price? There is no really such thing as a "price" in hyper space, rather "service". You make use of Zopple, in return you provide a service and that can be anything, things/materials from Earth for example (but they are rather useless in hyper space i.e. low "service" value) or information exchange (rather high "service value").

What you need is music like yours to get away here from Earth and then things become rather easy. It's advisable to take a towel with you on hyper space travels though (please refer to The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy from Douglas Adams).

I hope that helps your interest in hyper space, get away from earth, use Zopple, and you should be fine :-)

Kind regards, hyper-spaced Garfield.

Edit: Removed typo.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

@GarfieldModular I think you might have a future in science fiction along with modular, quite complimentary fields if you ask me! Maybe one day I too can go to Ylaolona K9E, if I do, I'll report back on the sights and sounds lol

Garfield...whatever you're on, let me know where to get it and how much it is! ;-D

@GarfieldModular, that is easily the best comment I've ever read in any comments section of any forum ever. Thank you.

@troux -- this is really nice.

Hi Troux, Lugia and Farkas,

Troux: Ha, ha, thanks :-) Well if you like to try to get out there in hyper-space don't forget to take your towel with you, the best hint I ever heard and used myself too! Not sure if it works with your own music, but hey, there is enough other good spacey music from other members, so use a strong one, once you managed to "escape earth" then the next difficult thing is that Zopple. It took me more than a year of this spacey music here on this forum available to figure out: A) That it existed and B) how to use it (I mean Zopple). Once you cope with that, hyper-space is yours!

Lugia: Ha, ha, LOL! Okay what I am going to tell you now you most likely even less believe than my previous (first) explanation to Troux. But all right: Let's start with the costs, it's about twenty bucks a year, cheap right?! The good news is, you can get that "what I am on" here on earth, no hyper-space travel needed. I guess you now want to know where to get it, right? ;-)

It's this forum, Unicorn account at Euro 20/year (but even without Unicorn it works pretty good) and that's all you really need and you guys as patience listeners ;-)

Farkas: Thank you! :-)

All: Sometimes I am in a kind of "funny mood" (usually caused by good music, hence the stuff I was listening at here, this time this funny mood was triggered by the good music from Troux) and this here was one of those moods and times ;-)

You all have a lovely Sunday and kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: Removed typo.

@the-erc, thank you for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed it.

And @ everyone here, thank you all for making this one of my favorite threads on MG, with a special shoutout to @GarfieldModular 🤣🤣

Lugia: Ha, ha, LOL! Okay what I am going to tell you now you most likely even less believe than my previous (first) explanation to Troux. But all right: Let's start with the costs, it's about twenty bucks a year, cheap right?! The good news is, you can get that "what I am on" here on earth, no hyper-space travel needed. I guess you now want to know where to get it, right? ;-)

Oh, THAT! That's easy enough here...and LEGAL, too! ;-)

It's this forum, Unicorn account at Euro 20/year (but even without Unicorn it works pretty good) and that's all you really need and you guys as patience listeners ;-)

Oh, THAT...and not THAT! OK...yep, MG does work great w/o the Unicorn, but the rack limits are a bit of a hassle if you're doing a lot of builds, doing bigger builds, etc. However, for those exploring, the basic freebie account is BEYOND an excellent asset! MG, even without the ongoing perpetual "clinic" that the forum offers, has likely saved synthesists many thousands of $$$ by letting them entertain ideas without resorting to hardware.

Ha, ha, yes, just right THAT ;-)