this user has left ModularGrid

Hi folks,
My Doepfer sequential switch arrived today and after installing it, I tried some patches. I need some tips on how to patch it. I notice that after I patch and LFO to the trigger input and two VCO to the 0/1 and 1/0 outputs it plays part of the pattern. Any ideas how this thing works?

Sequential switches are underrated modules, I would say they are perhaps the most modular of all..! Exactly because of that, there are quite a few different uses.

To wrap your head around the module I would advise you to plug several sound sources (VCO, filtered noise, more filtered noise, percussion) into the I/O 4 jacks. Send the O/I output to your systems master out and plug a clock signal into the trig in. You can understand the module as a 4-step spectral sequencer! Verbos has some wild examples here:

One step further: do the same, but send the output of the seq switch through an enveloped VCA into the the FM input of another oscillator!

You can do the same thing with rhythms. Plug 5 different trigger patterns or clock divisions into the 4 I/O jacks, and a slower clock source into the trig in. Send the O/I output to a drum module/pinged filter/LPG/envelope.

You can also use the seq switch the other way around. For example: Patch multiple sound sources into VCAs without envelopes. Send an envelope into the O/I jack of the seq switch and patch the 4 I/O jacks into these VCAs. Maybe send a funky rhythm into the Trig in. Now the envelope will open another VCA every time the seq switch switches.

Some ideas for melody:

And don’t forget you don’t need to use all I/O jacks. Leaving an empty space can yield the most interesting results!

I just saw there’s a Divkid video on a sequential switch! It might not be the same module, but Ben has a special talent for showing the creative potential of a module - and it shouldn’t be too hard to translate!

thanks! I will try these out. I almost wish that I had spent more on the ALM Busy Circuits Boss Bow Two sequential switch as it has many extra features missing from the Doepfer sequential switch as well as better integration with Pamela's New Workout. Well any case, I may do that later on and use the Doepfer sequential switch in another setup as it will be useful in any case.

Switches are fun! I have the WMD SSM but this caught my eye recently:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac214-black

Super cool!

I think with modules like these quantity matters. I’d rather have to Doepfers than one Boss, and let them do phase shifting patterns - 3 over 4 and such. But that’s just me, I enjoy the simple things 😉

Boss’ voltage controlled scanning is really cool though, and opens up another set of possibilities!

I think I agree LYFoulidis, the one thing that annoys me about the SSM is that I nearly always want more IO hehe

BTW, the SSM also has CV addressable scanning too - you can use a sequencer to sequence the sequential switch :D

My AE is quite infested with sequential switches...with the big purpose being to automate the generation of sequential structures that have more or less infinite iterations, or at least, damn close to infinite. And yes, there's several sequencers that make that go, but without the AE 3VCSWITCH, this sort of thing would be undoable.

Totally agree and for routing paths the sequential switch is quite powerful when paired up with a clock and sequencer. I made a fun random noise generator pattern today with Pamela New Workout, two VCOs and the Doepfer Sequential Switch. My second rack is now pretty much full except for 3HP but next rack will be much larger and feature more sequential switches, logic modules and support tools as I plan to get a few complex oscillators and more percussion sound sources that all require these things.