I need help figuring out what else I need.

Welcome. What kind of music are you hoping to make?
Before we go any further, you have way too many beautiful sound-makers and almost zero sound-sculptors in this rack. There are lots of options, but I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. Do you have any other gear? Have you read through the other "First rack" posts in this forum? Let us know a little more about what you are trying to achieve.

this user has left ModularGrid

You need support modules like attenuators, VCAs, and modulation sources like LFO and envelope generators!

Hi Redtapenfr,

How about a bigger rack? I think that's what you need most of all. Start slowly (i.e. start simple) with a few modules, build up experience then add a few more, build up experience again, etcetera, but sooner or later you are going to need more space for your modules...

Have fun and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

What you need is LESS. And less attempts to put too many functions into a small case would be a good start. Less sizable modules would also be good. And then, less of the "sexy" modules and more of the boring stuff that actually makes the other expensive stuff WORK.

One thing you DO have less of is modulation sources...and in this case, you need MORE. And as for VCAs, ANY would be a good move at this point, because there's not any now.

Get those drums out of there, for starters. Frankly, unless you've got massive space in your cab, trying to build up a "drum machine section" never works out nicely. The modules wind up being space-hungry, and also require a good trigger sequencer in addition to whatever else sequential you've got. Don't do this...get a proper syncable drum machine instead and lock it and the Hermod up to the same DAW clock. And why have Rings AND Elements when the latter has the former in it? Seriously, get some proper FILTERING...having a good, punchy LPF is key to making bass that wrecks subs, NOT a physical resonator.

There's a lot you might get out of https://vcvrack.com/ before trying this again. You need to understand what attenuverters, VCAs, logic and clock modifiers (ESPECIALLY if you plan on a lot of sequencer work), and so on actually do and how/why other modules NEED what they do. Also, the "go bigger THEN reduce rule applies here", like Garfield mentions; start with a rack that you KNOW is too big...because, in the end, you're going to find out that what you knew about that build size was 100% wrong. If you begin with too much space, you have room to scale back FROM once you have a module complement that you know will work. But right now, that last part is a real stumbling-block. Do some work to actually see for yourself how this should function, then come back to trying to do a hardware build. Your credit card will thank you later.

Welcome. What kind of music are you hoping to make?
Before we go any further, you have way too many beautiful sound-makers and almost zero sound-sculptors in this rack. There are lots of options, but I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. Do you have any other gear? Have you read through the other "First rack" posts in this forum? Let us know a little more about what you are trying to achieve.

-- farkas

Really hoping to do some more ethereal soundscape or soundtrack type stuff, that I can then compliment live with some “lead” type sounds for the melodies (plucks, etc...) I like Hans Zimmer, Ann Annie... I’m not so sure! Thanks for your response though :)

You need support modules like attenuators, VCAs, and modulation sources like LFO and envelope generators!
-- sacguy71

Thank you!! This is what I’m looking for :) I’ve got more rack space, so I need to do some research on what non-soundmakers, but instead support modules would best compliment this build.

I appreciate your feedback!!

Hi Redtapenfr,

How about a bigger rack? I think that's what you need most of all. Start slowly (i.e. start simple) with a few modules, build up experience then add a few more, build up experience again, etcetera, but sooner or later you are going to need more space for your modules...

Have fun and kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

Yeah... I have the 3U rack brute from Arturia that’s complimenting this, and by the sounds of everyone’s suggestions I have some support modules/sound sculptors to begin to research... as well as some other stuff.

I just went all into acquiring that I wasn’t paying attention to what I was acquiring. Lesson learned, and now I have all this awesome stuff to figure out :)

What you need is LESS. And less attempts to put too many functions into a small case would be a good start. Less sizable modules would also be good. And then, less of the "sexy" modules and more of the boring stuff that actually makes the other expensive stuff WORK.

One thing you DO have less of is modulation sources...and in this case, you need MORE. And as for VCAs, ANY would be a good move at this point, because there's not any now.

Get those drums out of there, for starters. Frankly, unless you've got massive space in your cab, trying to build up a "drum machine section" never works out nicely. The modules wind up being space-hungry, and also require a good trigger sequencer in addition to whatever else sequential you've got. Don't do this...get a proper syncable drum machine instead and lock it and the Hermod up to the same DAW clock. And why have Rings AND Elements when the latter has the former in it? Seriously, get some proper FILTERING...having a good, punchy LPF is key to making bass that wrecks subs, NOT a physical resonator.

There's a lot you might get out of https://vcvrack.com/ before trying this again. You need to understand what attenuverters, VCAs, logic and clock modifiers (ESPECIALLY if you plan on a lot of sequencer work), and so on actually do and how/why other modules NEED what they do. Also, the "go bigger THEN reduce rule applies here", like Garfield mentions; start with a rack that you KNOW is too big...because, in the end, you're going to find out that what you knew about that build size was 100% wrong. If you begin with too much space, you have room to scale back FROM once you have a module complement that you know will work. But right now, that last part is a real stumbling-block. Do some work to actually see for yourself how this should function, then come back to trying to do a hardware build. Your credit card will thank you later.
-- Lugia

this user has left ModularGrid

My small 6u case has 2 voice modules, the rest are modulation, fx, VCAs and support modules like attenuators/attenuerverters, logic and cv mixers. It is what I learned as a beginner. Maybe start with a prebuilt system like Doepfer A100 or Make Noise system or maybe the ALM Busy Circuits Coupe system that comes with these things?