In practice, this synth module does not draw more current than 600 mA! That's way less than 1000mA. So if you're planning your eurorack setup, keep this in mind. You don't need that much power, 1000mA is way overkill!

...unless that 1A figure is the inrush current, in which case you'd better pay attention!

First up, I don't advocate putting synths (which this is...it's NOT a module!) into Eurorack cabs when they already have a case and power. This is costly, and wastes space that should be used for actual modules that have NO housing and NO power. And it makes the thing you've DEcased and DEpowered for this more expensive; case in point, let's look at a Mantis...

These cabs are pretty ubiquitous and not all that expensive. But when you put a Model D, etc into one, you're actually making that synth cost MORE than you paid for it. Each hp in that case comes out to a cost of $1.61. 70 hp = $112.70. So that Boog actually winds up costing you $411.69...instead of the $298.99 street you'd paid for it. Sure, it's convenient...but can you afford that sort of convenience? Sounds a bit extravagant to me...and ultimately, impractical.

Next, let's explain inrush currents...when you turn on ANY circuit, there's a period of a few milliseconds where it draws more current than when it's in normal operation. This is just basic E.E.-type physics at work. But that tiny interval of time is long enough that you can POP the P/S if the inrush current exceeds the P/S's current capacity. And also, trying to run a P/S at right near its maximum rated current damages the supply slowly over time, mainly due to heating effects on the components. The last thing you want to deal with with a modular is a power supply issue, especially one that could ALSO fire an overvoltage down one of your power busses. And, of course, heat in general in a modular synth is a cause for concern, as excessive internal heat can throw all sorts of things out of calibration.

This is yet another reason why I tell users to NOT put these in their Eurorack cabs. Also, keep in mind that while synth module makers are very fastidious about current specs (because of this exact reason, in fact), other companies often don't know or CARE how much of a load they're putting on your P/S. Case in point: Roland's AIRA modules...each of which draws 450 mA on the +12 rail. Users quickly found that trying to put the entire AIRA module range into their rigs was a huge no-go, since that would draw a grand total of 1.8 Amps just among those four modules alone. And these were released back when we didn't have some of the beefier power options that exist today...which explains a lot about why those things got discontinued.

The fix that I always tell people to do is to OVERSPEC their power needs. If your power needs on the +12V rail comes out to 1500 mA, then have at least 2000 mA on the rail...and preferably more...to avoid inrush issues. B.'s spec here actually comes close to my 1/3rd-more rule-of-thumb if, in fact, the 1A figure is the inrush and 600 mA is the "stable" draw. But this is why you have users who figure that 1500 mA would be the right amount in this example...and explains also why a sizable number of Eurorack users wreck their P/Ss. ALWAYS overspec! Always!