alt text

I’ve had the Mother 32 for months and it’s a great way to start my journey into eurorack. I’m ready to start adding more and explore more sounds and possibilities. I think I’ve settled on a second row- I like the size, 4ms makes a 60hp pod that is powered but it’s a little shallow for some modules. But I like the size and I have a good idea for putting my carpenter skills to work for a nice tabletop case.
After building the case and getting the mscale, I’ll start getting the modules but I have to budget- so ya’know, one at a time.
My question is: what module should I start with that will be the most fun to interact with my moog?

I suppose to some extent it depends what you're trying to do musically, and also what other musical gear you have hanging around. It's hard even then to recommend a single module... but I think my suggestion would be to add the Plaits first, then Maths.

Yes, it would be helpful to know what kind of music you are making, and what you would like to achieve.
I think I would want some effects, so an FX Aid XL might come in handy. Peaks is a love-hate module for me. I have the mini-clone Pique, and while it has a lot of functions, they sort of defeat the purpose of modular because you can't really control anything with CV. I would look for something with more patch points that your Mother 32 could actually interact with. Maths or Quadrax would be fun in this regard. Plaits would add a range of voices. A random or chaos module like the Wogglebug or Triple Sloths could be cool...
Let us know what other gear you already have and what you want to accomplish by adding to your Mother.
Have fun and good luck.

Thanks for the responses. Interesting to hear Plaits over Maths.
I mostly worked with daw software until I came across VCV. I’m interested in the way that the modules lead me to discovery. So, I guess a generative type of instrument. I added Ears for a tactile percussion element. But I’m mostly into the meditative vibe of it in the moment and adding layers in real time, not for recording.

this user has left ModularGrid

Definitely an fx module would add spice to your Mother 32 such as Make Noise Mimeophon or perhaps Erica Synths Black Hole DSP? I really spiced up my small setup by adding Mimeophon that really gives dozens of new tones and cool sounds.

plaits before maths I guess is because this will add a second voice that can be integrated with the mom easily and will add a lot of versatility in that regard in one go

maths second though - it's a great module for learning modular synthesis - possibly the best, due to the illustrated manual that is available online - working your way through that a few times is an excellent learning exercise

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks everyone! This is super useful. I updated with a Disting mk4. I was hesitant trying to avoid digital modules but I gave in after the recommendations of finding something with effects and more patch points. Sounds like it will go with my Mother 32 fine.

It looks to me like you're not thinking ahead here. If you're keeping the M32 in its case, then I don't see why you wouldn't go with the Moog stand + some Moog extra skiffs for the sake of convenience. Plus, if you went with a four-row Moog bracket, that would allow one or two more Moog patchables along with a compliment of Eurorack. All you'd need is power for those skiffs.

When considering modular synths, always plan to go further. Getting stuck on a certain size paradigm in modular has really screwed a lot of people over...until they realize that, in order to get any new modules, etc into their systems, they HAVE TO go bigger, then this expansion tends to go against the rest of their planning which revolved around the modular not changing...which is sort of a violation of physics! ALL modulars undergo change! And it's far better to have open space in which to work into than painting yourself into a corner with a "fixed" build paradigm.