I just want to share a tip I haven't seen anywhere else, I thought this would be the perfect place for that!

I clock my Eurorack modular with Ableton Live using the AC coupled outputs on my PC.
They cannot send out gates so I use single cycle waveforms instead, played by Simpler in Live.
I turn it up real loud (it clips) and then it goes directly into my modular, giving me an adaptable master clock signal (I often give it bit of swing).
It works because many modules just need a rise in voltage as a clock signal like Maths eg.
The single cycle waveform I use is a crooked sine, dunno why I've made that crooked, it was trial and error a while back.

So even if you do have DC coupled outs, I think it's a waste to spend them on clocking, this technique works solid with many modules.

Cheers!

That's not how it's supposed to work, you know. By using AC-coupled sources, you're actually going to have trig/gate signals (of a sort) that aren't exactly in time with everything else. There'll always be a little lag. And as you've noticed, not every module will respond to this method.

Why NOT get a DC-coupled interface? You don't have to get something like an ES-8...you can get on eBay or Reverb and rustle up a secondhand MOTU 828 (I use a mkii FW version for synth control, linked via Firewire 400 to my DAW machine) for, at worst, about $150. Plays nicely with CV Tools in Ableton. Plus, it gives me eight return lines, which is great if I want to use a hardware synth to generate modulation signals for something in software. And I should note, you CANNOT do that without a DC-coupled interface!

I wonder if there is a lag, modules respond to the second sample I think, I doubt it that gates are faster.
But that doesn't matter because of latency anyway, I sync my gear by ear so that is a non-issue for me.
I own my Emu 1616m interface for over ten years, I'm not going to change that just because it has AC coupled ports of course.

I am able to run a midiclock (DC) from my AS Fusebox but I never use it because I like my way better, far more versatile.

That clog? That is some sad trolling.
There's this thread on Muffwiggler; https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167462