this user has left ModularGrid

I have been trying to figure out the ideal ratio of VCAs to other modules in a larger setup. Right now in my 14u MDLR case, I have 8 VCAs and two large voice modules (Trident triple oscillator, Hertz Donut complex VCO) and a Plaits plus 4 WMD percussion modules. I also have a six channel mixer (Befaco Hexmix) and an octal attenuator with Erogeneous Tones Levit8. Do I have enough VCAs?

Are you running out of VCAs? If so, it’s time to add more.
Everyone patches differently. And everyone has different modules, some with integrated VCAs, so it’s really just a matter of “if you find yourself reaching for something that isn’t there, buy that next.”

Hi Sacguy71,

I fully agree here with Farkas. One can't say, if you have (just an example here) more than 10 oscillators but only 4 VCAs then you don't have enough VCAs... it's not that straight forward. It depends completely on the patch you are currently busy with and if you feel that you are missing a few VCAs and that kind of feeling/experience repeats with other new patches then indeed it's time to get a few more VCAs :-)

But if you insist on checking on the oscillators per VCA rate... I don't feel it's "fair" (for calculation purposes) to count percussion/drum modules as an oscillator as well. So if you stick to pure oscillators versus VCAs only...

Ha, ha, very coincidentally I am exactly to a 1:1 rate, so my number of oscillators is, at my current setup, exactly (not even a difference of one) the same as my number of VCAs; interesting/funny exercise. The way I counted is for VCAs: I only count pure VCAs, no overdrives, no mixers that have VCA functionality in them, though a dual VCA I count for 2, a quad for 4, etcetera. The same for the VCOs/DCOs, no matter if they have multiple outputs, I just count them as one unless it's a dual VCO then I counted it for 2, etcetera. As mentioned as well, I didn't count other modules like drums/percussion and sample modules as being an oscillator, otherwise I would have a bit more than VCAs indeed.

Though, again I don't think you should approach it this way.

For my own setup I sometimes still feel I have too less VCAs; recently I bought a few extra VCAs because before that I definitely had too less VCAs. Now slowly I feel it's time to get a few more oscillators ;-) You should follow your guts when you are patching! If you are during patching in the urge of some more VCAs and you ran out of them... well, that seems a clear signal to me that you need more VCAs, and vice versa of course if you feel you have a lack of oscillators.

Good luck with the module planning and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Here is my MDLR setup and open to feedback suggestions on VCAs and anything that I need from a support view:

ModularGrid Rack

I have 8xVCA module and 8x attenuator/attenuverter module and mixer but thinking maybe another quad VCA or two. The percussion modules technically don't need a VCA and go directly to attenuator and mixer since they have envelopes built into each module due to WMD superb design.

Hi Sacguy71,

Or an extensive dual VCA for stereo purposes for some stereo fun might be an idea?

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I see a layout thing...shift the Plog down so that it's next to the WMD Accent module, then slide the Stilson in next to the Plog. That puts all of your timing and sequencing into one easy-to-work zone. And for a little more fun, you might want this between the Plog and Stilson: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/dovemans-shft That's a dual window comparator...it reads incoming voltage levels, and can give you gates on "below thresholds", "between thresholds" (or the "window", hence the name) and "above thresholds". Now, where this gets fun is that you can output a channel of the Stilson to this, and depending on how you set the threshold levels, you'd get TWO channels of voltage-conditional gate generation (in SIX ways!) which can then be tossed around in the build to operate even MORE things. The abuse potential within this sequencing environment would be pretty massive!

Thanks @Garfield, maybe get two Happy Nerding 3xVCA modules? That would give me an additional 6 VCAs.

@Lugia, great idea! I have flexibility in changing the layout in the MDLR since I still have plenty of room left in the case and the WMD Metron sequencer won't arrive until January 4, 2021! I sure as hades won't ever do a pre-order again. Been waiting since November for this darn thing. I will look at the Doveman SHFT module to pair with my sequencers and move the Plog to where you recommend. I also have a Winter Eloquencer sequencer and some other goodies on the way for my Doepfer monster base case. That will keep me busy for most of next year and beyond before I need to worry about another case :-)

Do you think my setup needs more VCA and if so, what options would you recommend? Also I tried to find the Doveman eurorack modules and looks like the company unfortunately may have gone out of business as their website is gone and I cannot find their modules anyplace for sale. So another vendor would have similar module?

You can also use VCA's to control modulation sources (not just audio signal level).

Thanks @defragmenteur- how would I patch that for a VCA? Would I patch and LFO or clock to the CV input of a VCA?
Care to share a patch example? Sorry, I am still a beginner to modular world.

Whatever CV to VCA Input + Envelop to VCA CV Input = Modulated CV.

If you begin to use VCA to control CV amplitude you will definitely need more VCA's.

Lot of examples in this thread :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18390

@defragmenteur,

Oh ok so on my Erogeneous Tones VC8 would you mean to patch the output from an LFO or EG to the CV input and also turn the CV level and CV offset knobs to taste?

Send a clock to your vca. Send the vca output to the timbre cv input of Plaits. Now send an envelope from radar to the vca cv input. You should obtain a clock that vary in amplitude according to the envelope shape.

Patch example

Scope view

Thanks @defragmenteur! That was fun patch to try and deepen my understanding of VCAs, clocks and envelopes!
Now working on recording some patches to Ableton. Here is the result:

Yeah

thanks yeah figuring out how to record from the modular to Ableton was more work than patching the modular!