Hi everyone! I decide for a while to build my first modular synth, I have read many posts and articles about first racks and how you can do it but I still have a lot of doubts (and error on the draft setup).
The idea of the setup is quite simple. For the rhytm part I use the Rytm mk1 while I would like to sequence the modular synth with the Digitone (which I will replace with octatrack mk1 or 2 when I can) and also use it for Fx (reverb, delay chorus).
Here it is the draft about eurorack ( https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1424957.jpg ), I think its a good idea to start with a very simple system. If the kind of music can help you I'm focussing on raw and loopy techno.

I put the Doepfer A-138pV cause I like the idea to live control (also with On/off switch) the various layers but maybe 4 channels is too much.
Also I don't know if the midi to cv from Doepfer can fit with this setup or if there are better solutions, same for the output module.
In this way, however, I would have only two layers where I can mix and master for the track, one from digitone (with digitone and modular sounds) and the rytm session. Could it work?

I know there is a bit of confusion but I tried to explain the situation as well as possible, any advice / suggestion / teaching is welcome.
This is my first approach to the world of modular synthesis and I would like to detach myself from the PC as much as possible (using it only for some sequencer or only for mix and master the final track would be an excellent result).

Thanks everyone for your time!

p.s. as case if think that this one could be a great solution, Doepfer A-100LC6v Low Cost Case VE (thomann)

Hey, doesn't look to bad to me. But I might not be the biggest pro around here. Just three remarks:
A. You can post the link to your rack here, not just the jpg. With that link other users can make copies of your rack with some additional tips. Just drop in the link without any other things, and it will show the graphic inline. Like this: ModularGrid Rack
(got the link from your profile)
B. You'll probably have a hard time finding the old befaco output, the recent one can be found as befaco output v3 and is a great output module with an additional queue switch to pre-listen to another signal via the headphone out.
C The multiple is nice, but it could also be done with stacked cables or these floating multiples. Not as pretty when pached, but you win rack space. https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/befaco-multiple/

Okay after looking into the rack there is more: Also you need some input module to make sure the signal from outside is on modular level, line signal will be to quiet and you could fry your outside gear just plugging it into the modular without any safety inbetween.

Next one is your performance mixer. You only added the 138p(Vintage) which will also need the 138o(Vintage or not) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-138ov to output something. And the 138o will not replace the befaco output but would be additionally required. Plus point the 128o has an aux in so one signal can be added to your rack from the outside.

On the mixer, there a few comments :
1. The Doepfer A-138p is only half a mixer; you also need the A-138o for outputs.
2. Four channels is certainly not too much, maybe not enough as your system grows.
3. If you are using other instruments as well as the modular, you are probably better off doing the mixing on a "normal" mixer, outside of the rack. Eurorack signals are much higher than line level and it's easier to turn down the modular to line level, than to boost the other instruments to euro level. Eurorack mixers are also very expensive compared to normal mixers.

Sequencing from the Electron machines will surely work well. I don't know the Doepfer MIDI-CV interface but it does not have very many outputs, so you will quickly reach its limits. And by quickly I mean immediately: you could control one voice with this. You might look at some options with more outputs; Expert Sleepers make some very popular options.

More generally, this is small case, so you would do well to consider the size of the modules you are putting in there. There are small alternatives for many. Mostly obviously, the multiples have no controls, so why not choose a 2hp sized version? Many manufacturers make these. Same question about the ADSR and the attenuators.

As it stands, this set up is a one-oscillator monosynth. For this purpose you need two envelopes : one for the filter and one for the VCA, but you only have one. If you want to combine envelopes with your LFO you also need a CV mixer. The Happy Nerding 3xMIA or Befaco A*B+C are good options but there are many others.

On the other hand, can this do anything your Analogue Rytm can't? That's a genuine question -- I don't now the capabilities of that machine. Did you consider any semi-modulars? Moog Mother-32 or Behringer Neuron are much more capable than the rack you present above, and also cost less. I would consider a bit more what you want to add to your existing music, and start your rack from that.

Check out: Maths, Plaits, Pamela's New Workout, Disting

You can do a basic mix and output with 4ms Listen instead of the array of modules needed in the current configuration

This is an interesting point, before deciding to start building a modular synth I wanted to integrate the Neutron into the setup but I thought that starting from the basics it could help me learn a lot more (also if costs much more).
I might also consider integrating the neutron directly into the eurorack and adding a few more modules to further customize the sound, even to get started with the modular system. In this case though, what other modules could I add to create something interesting?

About the spaces I knew I had made many mistakes but this is the first draft, not knowing the brands and models well I trusted a few reviews and guides (for the wasp filter and for adsr for example).

As for the question what I would like to add to my sound, I cannot answer because so far I have experimented a lot only on ableton and with the digitone (I will add the Analog Rytm for the drums), in short, the goal would be to start producing everything out of daw, or almost.

Other questions:
- Can I use the A-138o also as an attenuator before the befaco output?
- Why I need also an attenuator for input? In this system I have only midi as input signal, I'm probably wrong but I want to understand.
- On the Digitone or Octatrack you can sequence multiple tracks so what can I use to split my midis into cv?

Hi Marchettijes,

Welcome to modular synths! :-) The A-138o has a Main Level knob only but with the A-138p module you can per channel use the Gain and the Level knobs to adjust your signal and that's good enough. I use the A-138p & A-138o combination and I am pretty happy with it. Only one little side remark the A-138p does bleed a little bit, but only a little bit and it would only disturb people like me who are very sensitive to any kind of side noises otherwise you would barely hear it and if you aren't as over-sensitively as I am, you don't need to be worried about that little bleeding issue (it's barely audible, but for me it is).

Keep in mind that you need at least one A-138p module and just one A-138o module, then you have a four-channel (performance) mixer. In the future if you need more channels you just add one more A-138p module and you got yourself then an eight-channel mixer :-) You can extend more A-138p modules to get even more channels.

Regarding the Doepfer A-190-x modules, those MIDI to CV modules, I had the Doepfer A-190-5 module in the past and I didn't like it, somehow not logical in use, difficult to set the MIDI parameters, just not easy to use. I exchanged that module against the Vermona - qMI2 module and that one is great, 4 channels (like the A-190-5) and it's so easy and so logical to use, no problems with that module.

I am usually very positive about Doepfer modules however the A-190-x modules are the exception, those A-190-x modules, I can not recommend them.

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

In this case though, what other modules could I add to create something interesting?

It depends what you are interested in! If you click through the modules here you will find many video clips showing what they do. Alternatively maybe try VCV Rack and experiment with some things to find out what you like?

• Can I use the A-138o also as an attenuator before the befaco output?

Yes, but there is not much point, since the Befaco module has an output attenuator.

• Why I need also an attenuator for input? In this system I have only midi as input signal, I'm probably wrong but I want to understand.

For an audio input to the modular you will need an amplifier of some kind, not an attenuator, otherwise the audio will be much too quiet compared to the modular gear. For MIDI input this is not relevant, you just need a MIDI-CV converter.

• On the Digitone or Octatrack you can sequence multiple tracks so what can I use to split my midis into cv?

It depends on the converter, but different MIDI channels or cc messages could be different CV signals.

This is an interesting point, before deciding to start building a modular synth I wanted to integrate the Neutron into the setup but I thought that starting from the basics it could help me learn a lot more (also if costs much more).
I might also consider integrating the neutron directly into the eurorack...

DON'T do this. The Neutron already has power and housing, and the modules that should go in here do NOT. Besides, unless you're down for losing very close to an entire 84 hp row, it simply takes too much out of the (expensive!) rack to be justifiable.

• Can I use the A-138o also as an attenuator before the befaco output?

No. The A-138o must be tandemmed with the A-138p, for one thing, and this negates standalone operation. Also, this is intended as a stereo summer from the 138p which also contains the AUX send/return routings; as such, what you suggest doing amounts to turning down the level to send it to another thing that...turns down the level. The Department of Redundancy Department might approve, but it's very technically unsound otherwise.

• Why I need also an attenuator for input? In this system I have only midi as input signal, I'm probably wrong but I want to understand.

You don't need an attenuator for an audio input. What's needed there is a preamp to bring the levels UP to synth levels. And, preferably, an envelope follower as well so that you can extract dynamic CV from the sound's envelope.

• On the Digitone or Octatrack you can sequence multiple tracks so what can I use to split my midis into cv?

There's quite a few MIDI-CV interfaces out there that offer lots of assignability to their patch points...the A-190-4 isn't one of them, though. As for what'll work here, well...do you really want to send MIDI to the modular, or would you prefer being able to send CV/gate/trig/clock directly out of the DAW as those signals? Two different approaches, requiring two rather different equipment and software considerations.

Looking at the thread thus far, I think you might benefit greatly from NOT trying to jump to modular hardware just yet. Instead, you need to really comprehend what these instruments are about before proceeding further. While I realize you want to "...detach myself from the PC as much as possible...", what I'm going to suggest results in the exact opposite...and that's VCV Rack. However, since VCV looks and ACTS much like a Eurorack system (it even has 1:1 module replications from makers such as Instruo), and since you seem to need a better grasp on what's going on with modular synthesis in general, I'd suggest starting THERE and getting some experience under your belt before heading back into hardware. Otherwise, this is the sort of situation that gets expensive and frustrating very quickly. But with VCV...well, it's free, and it allows you to make TONS of mistakes without destructive or expensive consequences. And yes, you can lock it up to the DAW very easily...it comes with VST bridge plugs. https://vcvrack.com/

this user has left ModularGrid

My recommendation in addition to what has been provided is to get a copy of the excellent book Patch and Tweak by Chris Meyer. It really is such a great book and will save you a lot of time, money and frustration learning modular concepts and how to put a system together. Chris also has a website of tutorials called LearningModular that I recommend. I use VCV Rack still to try out routings and modules that I don't have to buy until I try them first. It is free and very useful way to learn the basics of modular for FREE.

Now regarding Elektron connectivity and sequencer, I use the CV.OCD box that works great for sequencer to modular and using the effects from Elektron Octatrack to modular system. I have the Doepfer A190 but that thing was a royal pain to use. The CV.OCD is small easy to use and works with any MIDI controller/sequencer so it is great way to use external MIDI gear with modular. That or you could get an Expert Sleeper ES-9 module.

Thank you for all advices, definitely Im not ready yet to get into the modular world, Ill download VCV and Ill try to get some experience here.
I already saw a few days ago the book Patch and Tweak and I think that it could help me a lot.

this user has left ModularGrid

Glad to assist. Another option you may want to consider after trying out VCV Rack and so forth could be to get a prebuilt modular system like the ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe, Make Noise Shared System, Doepfer A100 Basic System or Endorphin.es Shuttle System that comes with the required ingredients like case, power, support modules and so forth. I started with a Doepfer A100 Basic system (under 2k) and built from there over time. Plus you can always use modules with other gear or sell them over time.