Not sure this combination makes sense but trying to make a simple generative system in 42hp:
ModularGrid Rack

I'd go with smaller versions of both Clouds and Plaits to squeeze out 4 HP for a FX Aid.

42HP seems fairly unworkable to me if you want generative, or anything that's not laser focused. Take a look at my proposed rack for someone with 62HP just for the CV + mixing (all their sound sources are racked separately) https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9628

Do you plan to combine this with any external gear? I can’t imagine this will be very useful as-is.

Do you plan to combine this with any external gear? I can’t imagine this will be very useful as-is.

I did not leave room for FX in the case but I have a Zoia pedal.

I'd go with smaller versions of both Clouds and Plaits to squeeze out 4 HP for a FX Aid.
-- oliodnb

I have a Zoia pedal which I could use, though onboard FX is nice.
What about Pico DSP ? I could also use a smaller out instead of the Ooots and shave some HP.

I read some posts somewhere talking about how difficult it was to work with some of the more smaller versions of Plaits so thought I would make an exception and just use regular Plaits. I'd be interested to hear others experiences with the other compact Plaits clones...

As far as Clouds go, I really wanted the Microcell (Im assuming you know it has three different Clouds firmwares which kinda makes an amazing module)

42HP seems fairly unworkable to me if you want generative, or anything that's not laser focused.
-- troux

Those are great videos, but the first has a Marbles and the second a Temps Utile and an Ornament and Crime, which all do significantly more than the Turing Machine you have in your rack. They're also only a few minutes long, so while they sound good here, will they sound good after 30 minutes? After an hour? Is there enough variation to keep things interesting and do the changes feel related to each other? Are there surprises? I'm not the expert, but without the right support modules and a vision for how they'll hang together it's a distinct possibility you'll get bored with this pretty quickly.

I’m with @troux 110%, unfortunately. This will be unusable and not much fun super quick.
I just looked through the other videos of the first artist, and he appears to have a much larger selection of synth gear to choose from. He just put together a tiny rack for a singular purpose (what Lugia calls “mission specific builds”). In this instance, the mission was a single short composition in a garden.
Without even basic functionality, I would say this is an unwise investment. Good luck, though. Let us know what you decide to do.

Consider me in with farkas and troux. REAL generative work requires a much more comprehensive system. Trying to do this in 42 hp is a grave error. Also, picking up ideas from YouTube is dicey at best. Some YT "influencers" do these tiny builds, it's true...but as farkas mentions, they're "mission specific" as a rule.

As an example, here's one of the first, designed and assembled by Bob Moog working in tandem with Joel Chadabe at SUNY Albany: https://modularsynthesis.com/moog/cems/cems.htm Now, sure...this is a 5U synth, and it was put together around 1970, but the concept of generative patching in Eurorack remains much the same in scale, although these days we have more options for elaborate timing behavior and CV generation/modification that do tend to shrink things down somewhat. Also, Moog's modular systems could be a bit of a bitch to get working in a generative configuration because they were missing things like logic, probabilistics, comparators and other related devices, etc. But the upshot is that it's not even really possible to do a FULL-BLOWN generative patch on even a 2 x 84 or 104-sized Eurorack. You simply need too many modulation sources and the modules to "read" what they do to output notes to make this work optimally in even those sizes.

What about Pico DSP ? I could also use a smaller out instead of the Ooots and shave some HP.

I own both and the algorithms on the FX Aid are waaaaay better than the ones on the Pico DSP. I think you should use the Zoia and save some HPs.
I also have an Ooots and while I really like it as an output module you could definitely use that extra space better,

I read some posts somewhere talking about how difficult it was to work with some of the more smaller versions of Plaits so thought I would make an exception and just use regular Plaits. I'd be interested to hear others experiences with the other compact Plaits clones...

I own a 8 HPs one and the ergonomics are not that bad but YMMV.

As far as Clouds go, I really wanted the Microcell (Im assuming you know it has three different Clouds firmwares which kinda makes an amazing module)

Switching firmware on Clouds is easy enough, and, again, you may definitely benefit from squeezing some more functionality in that space.

That said, I agree with everyone else in saying that you will be very limited with this setup. If you really (really) want to do this within the 42 HPs limit I'd recommend you to at least get a Marbles instead of the Turing Machine.

+1 on this is unworkable and probably horrible to play - due to ergonomics - unless you have tiny fingers!

start with a blank sheet - decide what modules you want (and which modules you need to get them to work properly - hint - if modulation sources and utilities take up less than 50% of the rack then you need more of them - and for generative music maybe even more) and then find the right case - which may be slightly more expensive in the short term, but will save you money in the long term - remember it's a journey not a race!

as people have already said almost all these instagram/youtube influencers with tiny cases are taking modules from their actual rack to demo specific things - and the resulting racks are almost always one/two trick ponies

output modules are another point of contention - you almost definitely don't need one - unless you need balanced outs - if you need it for headphones there are smaller modules that will do the job - alm hpo

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities