Are there any sequencers in eurorack format that allow for recording gates of arbitrary length? Longer than 16 step sequences?

Not that I know of offhand...but there IS a way to do what you're describing, and it uses a CV channel on the sequencer and this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-s-187-voltage-controlled-clock-trig-gate-modifier This has a pulse delay and a pulse length modifier, both of which can operate in a range from 0 to 300 seconds.

Whats the WMD Metron like? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-metron Should be OK for Gate length. You can also slow-clock a sequencer for an extended gate time, a really simple module for this would be the Noise Engineering Bin Seq if you want fairly fixed or manually tweaked gate times. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-bin-seq

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Metropolis can have arbitrary gate lengths but it limited to 8 steps, but with repeats and gate length adjustments I think you can get close to "64" steps or easily fall off the traditional 16 step/bar notion.

Thanks for all the responses!

I should mention that I'm specifically looking to be able to record in longer gate lengths via midi-cv conversion (or from within the eurorack sequencer itself like CV Key Rec Mode in the Eloquencer) for the use longer sustained envelopes where I'd like the gate length to be the amount of time that I've held a key or touch interface of some kind.

My problem currently with my Eloquencer, although I will be keeping it as it lends itself to results that I otherwise would not come up with is that I'd still like to be able to express a pattern that is in my head and the limit to gate lengths and number of steps is preventing me from doing so at the moment.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation? What did you end up doing, are there any sequencers in general, eurorack or other that will allow me to interact with my systems gates/envelopes etc in such a way?

From the top of my head, I would say the squid salmpler can do this. Maybe you should take a look at that thing. Or the Quad CV Recorder from Flame. Both aren't sequencers though.

doesn't disting have a cv recorder in it these days

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

-- JimHowell1970
Good point. They sure do.

Thanks for all the responses!

I should mention that I'm specifically looking to be able to record in longer gate lengths via midi-cv conversion (or from within the eurorack sequencer itself like CV Key Rec Mode in the Eloquencer) for the use longer sustained envelopes where I'd like the gate length to be the amount of time that I've held a key or touch interface of some kind.

My problem currently with my Eloquencer, although I will be keeping it as it lends itself to results that I otherwise would not come up with is that I'd still like to be able to express a pattern that is in my head and the limit to gate lengths and number of steps is preventing me from doing so at the moment.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation? What did you end up doing, are there any sequencers in general, eurorack or other that will allow me to interact with my systems gates/envelopes etc in such a way?

-- AudioResearch

On the eloquencer, if you activate a tie on a step, gate will remain open until next (non tied) gate. You should test this with chain patterns.

From the top of my head, I would say the squid salmpler can do this. Maybe you should take a look at that thing. Or the Quad CV Recorder from Flame. Both aren't sequencers though.
-- MillionJT

I'll check these out, thank you!

-- JimHowell1970

What are your thoughts on FH-2 by Expert sleepers for this purpose?

On the eloquencer, if you activate a tie on a step, gate will remain open until next (non tied) gate. You should test this with chain patterns.

-- defragmenteur

I've got the chain patterns down, are you saying it's possible to have longer gates recorded as ties? That would be very cool, maybe if that's not possible at the moment it could be implemented as a software update? I'll ask Winter Modular about this, they have great support and I'd love to do everything from within the Eloquencer without having to add another module for this purpose!

-- defragmenteur

I've got the chain patterns down, are you saying it's possible to have longer gates recorded as ties? That would be very cool, maybe if that's not possible at the moment it could be implemented as a software update? I'll ask Winter Modular about this, they have great support and I'd love to do everything from within the Eloquencer without having to add another module for this purpose!
-- AudioResearch

Just tried it and it work. You can have a gate tie chain on more than one pattern.

this user has left ModularGrid

I have both an Eloquencer and a Metron sequencer, and I believe that you can set gate length on both sequencers.

WMD Metron gate patterns with burst and gate modes:

On the eloquencer you can set gate length for entire track or per gate step even.