Hi guys,
I am starting to build my first modular setup. I have got a case (Arturia Rackbrute 6U), sketched a couple of ideas for my first modules and ordered MI Rings as my first module :) One thing that worries me a lot is cables, and I need your advice on that.
What patch cables are good ones? (I ordered a couple of stackable ones by TipTip audio and a couple of regular ones by Doepfer to test)
What is the number of cables that is optimal for an average bedroom modular setup?
Are there any good ways to organize cable storage on the desktop so that the cables are easily accessible and there is no cable salad on the table? I did not find any suitable solution. The modular-specific Youtube bloggers usually keep their cables behind the camera so I have no idea how to place an optimal number of cables in a small bedroom space. For now, I am thinking of using IKEA SAMLA storage box.
Do you have any good suggestions?

Cheers,
Pavel

I picked up two of these from Amazon, though I'm sure you could find something similar elsewhere. I use one to hang all of my cables from the edge of my table-style desk and the other to hang headphones. They rotate so you can tuck them under the desk when not in use. Also, I've been using fairly inexpensive Excel Valley patch cables. I color code them by length so I know quickly what to reach for.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVK2FQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few ideas:

-- I got 2x tackle boxes to store / organize my cables in. In practice these are okay not great for modular cords, because the inner box divisions are somewhat small and can't be changed. I might try getting some bigger tackle boxes (or at least ones with bigger compartments) and repurpose the ones I have. The ones I have which work okay are: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R5SLQCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-- if I wanted a more permanent cable setup (e.g. one I don't mind staying out in view) I would probably get one of these, which goes on top of a mic stand: https://patchwerks.com/collections/cable-hangers/products/eurodesk-z-hex-01-eurorack-1-8-inch-cable-hanger. Also there is a wall / deskmount option: https://www.eurodesk-z.com/products/klauz1e-wall-mountable-1-8-inch-eurorack-cable-hanger

-- for cables, I like the Ad Infinitum cables, which you can get direct or via retailers (may as well go direct, IMO): http://adinfinitummusic.com/. I like those because i) they seem to have a good reputation for build quality and my experience is good with them on quality ii) they have enough colors and sizes for me (I want all black in a number of sizes). Regarding # of cables I would say i) consider the longest cable length you would need given your setup ii) get a few lengths from smallest usable to medium to longest usable iii) get at least 5x of each length. For me, I got 15x cables in 6,12,18,24 &36 and that's about all I need for now. IMO for $50-70 you should be able to get a good set of cables which will cover a wide range of your immediate patching needs.

Good luck!

Hi Pavel,

If you want good patch cables, have a look at the Cordial CPI series, here is just one example:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/cordial_cpi_06_zz.htm?sid=841d56e66cd0fc9ee7568c2d778651b8&ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZGUiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

The do exist in different lengths.

In my opinion they are a bit (too) expensive, so I started to make cables myself but if you look for (real) good cables you might want to consider those. Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

mine either go in a cardboard box or on the floor in a heap by the modular (note my modular is also on the floor not a desk - due to position of TV - for video synthesis)

as for the optimum number of cables - to start with count the number of sockets in your modules and divide by 2... get a selection of lengths - up to a bit bigger than you think you need so there's some slack when patching

as you get more modules the ratio of cables to sockets will reduce - you probably won't patch every socket of every module every time you patch

I tend to buy cables in batches - 15 to 20 at a time - when I notice I am getting low at the end of a big patch (especially if I am planning on getting more modules soon) and possibly a couple of stackcables when I buy a module - especially if i need to add a few € to get free shipping

currently I'm really liking PolarNoise for 90-150cm braided cables and befaco for some very long cables (3m) - I also like the Black Market Modular cables

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

mine either go in a ... in a heap by the modular...

-- JimHowell1970

Same here. It doesn't look pretty, it may not be smart but it works for me.

I have for sale modular addict stack and thin patch cables. Thin ones are perfect for dense modules where you want to be able to somehow put fingers between your cables to plug them in/out. Stackables are great as they save you form using passive mults.

I have stackables. But I don't know about buying more of them. The issue I have with them is that stacking them creates longer and longer levers inserted into your modules. It becomes easier and easier to accidentally bump those stacks with your hands. Depending on the module you could do some damage to the jack or circuit board below. I would use Y cables for anything that's directly inserted into a module or using an outboard passive splitter like those made by Intellijel.

I have stackables. But I don't know about buying more of them. ... stacking them creates longer and longer levers...>

-- Ronin1973

Yes my concern too.
Other than that the sockets start to fail after some use.

this user has left ModularGrid

Well... there are patch cables and there are patch cables ;-) But too avoid a (very) long discussion... I will just share some experience I made with patch cables here.

I have just recently made some very bad experience with Endorphin.es patch cables, far too thin, not nice to use and the slipped out of my patch cable holders from Voltcraft ML-1 SW 14 "Messleitungshalter" (German for lab cable holder, freely translated). Not only the cable were very thin but also the plugs. I don't understand why Endorphin.es (who has in my opinion to keep up a good name in the market) wants to offer such a poor type of patch cables...

Anyway, I also less recently but after I posted here above my recommendation about Cordial CPI series, made some very good experience with Vermona patch cables. I think they are even a notch or two better than Cordial CPI series and roughly about in the same price category. The prices of these top-notch cables is quite an issue hence why I buy small patch cables from Make Noise. For that kind of money great patch cables (not top-notch though) and wouldn't cost you an arm or a leg and for the longer patch cables I still make them myself.

Regarding stackables, I actually never owned them myself, however seen and used them at my local dealer and from the above comments here I straight away knew that's not the road to go. External splitter might be an idea however why not just get a bunch of buffered multiples and all problems are solved? ;-) At my signature you will find my website where you can download for free PDF formatted review reports. All the multiples I have, I have reviewed them and published a review report of those. I am in the middle of all testing them in the same way so a more fair way of comparing them to each other will be established. By March/April I hope to have updated all the multiple review reports (those with Appendix A v1.26 or later are the updated ones and the ACL one is one of the new style measured multiples too). In Appendix A (separately downloadable at the "Other documents" tab) you can find in subparagraph 2.5.2.4 The multiple functionality in details how I have tested it.

Happy patching to everyone and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I've found that there are LOADS of possible cheap ways to manage patchcable piles. A trip to a home improvement store like Lowe's or Menards offers TONS of potential hooks, implements, and other hanger gibberish that works like a charm. Right now, I've got about 100+ 1/4" cables on these snazzy, rustic iron closethooks from Menards, and in a previous setup of the studio, I had my 3.5mms all on those cheap swinging kitchen towel-holders. And since both of these mount easily onto the MDF racks I use, I can stick 'em wherever they work best.

At least, this worked fine until I started building the AE system, which uses pinwires (along with some Bastl devices and a Folktek Mescaline). So, since I was setting up a section of commercial gridwall with shelves for the stompbox "library", I put one of those angled clotheshangers with the little balls on them onto the backside of the gridwall, under the table that holds the "sandbox", which puts the pinwires right where I need 'em!

I have stackables. But I don't know about buying more of them. ... stacking them creates longer and longer levers...>

-- Ronin1973

Yes my concern too.
Other than that the sockets start to fail after some use.

-- wiggler55550

You never need to plug more than 2 cables into one socket, you can just daisy chain them. But yes sockets usually fail after 2-3 years of frequent patching

Well... there are patch cables and there are patch cables ;-) But too avoid a (very) long discussion... I will just share some experience I made with patch cables here.

I have just recently made some very bad experience with Endorphin.es patch cables, far too thin, not nice to use and the slipped out of my patch cable holders from Voltcraft ML-1 SW 14 "Messleitungshalter" (German for lab cable holder, freely translated). Not only the cable were very thin but also the plugs. I don't understand why Endorphin.es (who has in my opinion to keep up a good name in the market) wants to offer such a poor type of patch cables...

Anyway, I also less recently but after I posted here above my recommendation about Cordial CPI series, made some very good experience with Vermona patch cables. I think they are even a notch or two better than Cordial CPI series and roughly about in the same price category. The prices of these top-notch cables is quite an issue hence why I buy small patch cables from Make Noise. For that kind of money great patch cables (not top-notch though) and wouldn't cost you an arm or a leg and for the longer patch cables I still make them myself.

Regarding stackables, I actually never owned them myself, however seen and used them at my local dealer and from the above comments here I straight away knew that's not the road to go. External splitter might be an idea however why not just get a bunch of buffered multiples and all problems are solved? ;-) At my signature you will find my website where you can download for free PDF formatted review reports. All the multiples I have, I have reviewed them and published a review report of those. I am in the middle of all testing them in the same way so a more fair way of comparing them to each other will be established. By March/April I hope to have updated all the multiple review reports (those with Appendix A v1.26 or later are the updated ones and the ACL one is one of the new style measured multiples too). In Appendix A (separately downloadable at the "Other documents" tab) you can find in subparagraph 2.5.2.4 The multiple functionality in details how I have tested it.

Happy patching to everyone and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Many cheap buffered multiples introduce slight offset into signal. Not very important but if switched with some kind of sequential switch may make pitch jump half a not up or down. But yeah if you need more than on or two copies of signal passive splitters are better than stackables.

I used to have a long narrow wooden planter box - that you’d find in a garden store, so you can lay out the longer cables nicely. But now that I’ve moved house and have a tighter space, I use a metal square plate thing with loads of grooves on each side, from the Ctrl-mod.com - it fits on top of a mic stand.

For cables I do very bright colors by length. Love the tiptop stacksbles but also dig the really short ones too (so satisfying when your module layout plan comes together, but only sometimes).

Big bull clips to hold a bunch of similar length cables. Can usually get about ten in each clip. I throw all the clips in a drawer, but you could hang them from a hook or a nail.

These are handy for getting a few cables out the way: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08FQW4JDJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

this user has left ModularGrid

I use cardboard boxes for cable storage yeah its cheesy but dead cheap or mike stands. Otherwise I have to drill holes in my walls to hang cable trays.

I have an extra long monitor arm that’s great for draping right angle cables. As seen on IG

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZp0wynv9mq