I've been having fun this week listening to a monthly podcast I've discovered called Source of Uncertainty, which is all about Buchla synthesisers. It led me to rearrange my rack slightly to fall in line with a Buchla paradigm. I then created a patch that sort of uses the Maths as a sequencer...

In episode 5 of the podcast, they discuss two modules, the 281 Quad Function Generator and the 292 Quad Dynamic Manager. According to the podcasters, these two modules are a cornerstone of the Buchla synthesiser designs. What I was really surprised about was how much they have in common with the Make Noise Maths and Optomix Eurorack modules. This is probably not news to most modular enthusiasts, but it was news to me. And it got me thinking... I've got a Maths and an LxD (a half-sized Optomix) so I've basically got half a Buchla already! Not...

I've had a bit of an issue with my Cre8 Audio Nifty Case, and had to take all my modules out. I took the opportunity to place my Maths and LxD next to each other, just as the Buchla 281 and 292 modules are often placed together. I then came up with a weird little patch that, in my head at least, is sort of using the Maths as a sequencer and I liked it enough to record a short performance.

Thanks for sharing! I love to see people making the most of modular. I’m inspired to try some new ideas now.

Fantastic, I enjoy these videos very much. But it also makes me want to get a Maths, over and over again 😬 I also dig the tune, not to shabby for only three modules (and sq1) used!

Thanks for sharing! I love to see people making the most of modular. I’m inspired to try some new ideas now.
-- farkas

Hey there. You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to watch it! V. glad you feel inspired.

Fantastic, I enjoy these videos very much. But it also makes me want to get a Maths, over and over again 😬 I also dig the tune, not to shabby for only three modules (and sq1) used!
-- zuggamasta

Maths is super cool. It's a bit big, especially for my tiny rack, but I can't imagine trying to make a patch without it. I suppose other modules do similar things but I always seem to find a use for it. Glad you liked the tune, it was an odd little ditty. I still don't really know where the cuckoo came from... :)

Dammit...this is making me want to add that "Maths skiff" to the sandbox...pair of Maths + a MISO to feed ALL of the patchables here.

Hi ModLifeCrises,

Wow, what a sound you got there! Weird and beautiful at the same time, well done! :-)

Thank you very much for this demo and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Dammit...this is making me want to add that "Maths skiff" to the sandbox...pair of Maths + a MISO to feed ALL of the patchables here.
-- Lugia

Yep, I think two Maths would be great - although that would be nearly half my rack! :)

Hi ModLifeCrises,

Wow, what a sound you got there! Weird and beautiful at the same time, well done! :-)

Thank you very much for this demo and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Thanks. I surprised myself with the sound, especially the 'cuckoo' which just sort of emerged from nowhere. I think the cuckoo was Maths end of cycle into FM input of Maths, creating a cuck-ooo two note phrase. Crazy! :)