Hi everyone,

Been filling my diy 6u 62hp for 5 months now but i can't go on much longer ; i definitely need a bigger case asap

I've been assembling a new rack for a few weeks, here's a sketch of it

ModularGrid Rack

I wish i could go a little bigger but i really want to keep it portable and quite light. All the drums are external (TR-8 for now but Octatrack in a month), so the focus is to have a fun 2 voice live playing techno instrument that will be routed to Octatrack for effects and sampling for some tunes maybe, once i get the hang of the Octatrack.

As i said i'm relatively new to this world, coming from Volcas some years ago, to Elektron Digitakt, Minilogue XD, those types of kinda immediate instrument, so i still have this kind of dream of building a more personal and immediate """groovebox""" feel in Eurorack.

So for people playing live on a small rig like this, techno players would be even more helpful, is this making sense to you ?

I was/am doing the techno groove box thing, so here are some notes/concerns...

You have lots of modulation but some of them appear kinda redundant when you take a closer look.
For sequenced modulation, you have three modules(kinda a lot for this size) and two of them are quantized and then a quantizer. I think its important to stay in key, but this is also techno so I think you could remove at least one stepped modulator and the quantizer, or if you really want it, find something that is smaller. Also, consider a small precision adder.

Look also for CV mixers, rectifiers, inverters, etc.... These will really allow you to capitalize on what you have and essential make all new modulations sources. Matrix mixer is also a good shout. Can combine gates, audio, and modulation really useful.

Steppy is fine, but I would check out the Shakamat Four Rooks for perfomablility.
Quad VCA -----> 2020 Veils.

I would also suggest looking into noise sources, Low pass gates, simple oscillators that can be fm'd. Can make for some really unique clamorous percussion.

Thanks a lot for the reply, lots of type of modules i would've never get my head into before hearing it now.

I feel like i need to try things out with the modulation modules, so i can fully commit to some type of sequencing within a rack, i had a BSP Pro until now, but you're right, their all do basically the same thing in the end, i'll cut some of them and find my way without this much redundacy in modulations.

Precision Adder seems interesting, you have some you recommend for playability/live use ?

Will definitely look into matrix mixers too, always saw them as a "big case" mixer somehow..

Veils is gonna be on my list too once i figured out what to ditch Voltage Block or Mimetic/scales

Doepfer A-185, Vmpe T43, NE Quantas Pax all can do the job. With only 2 voices smaller is probably better, but Odessa w/ expander could be very useful. Switches are inherently more performable but if you can CV transpositions that can also do the trick.

Martix mixers: Tesseract 8x8 could be nice. The WMD matrix is also super cool especially since you can sequence the stages. Other mixers get a little big for this size. I got a cheap passive on in a trade and that honestly does the job too. With a little muscle memory you'll be able to basically turn on and off modulation to set destinations or combinations of destinations.