Hey guys,

I have created a playlist of only two videos that have inspired me that I will link here:

I am a noobie but I would like the case to be portable and compact for live shows and be able to connect a korg minilogue synthesizer for a sound source or midi controller for setting VCOs.

Modules that interest me:
- XAOC Devices SEWASTOPOL II
- XAOC Devices - Batumi
- Make Noise Morphagene
- Qu-Bit Electronix Chord v2
- 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator
- 4ms Ensemble Oscillator
- Pamela's Workout
- Mannequins MANGROVE
- Mannequins Three Sisters
- Instruō's Lúbadh
- Instruō's Arbhar
- Pachinko
- Vector Space Spatial Voltage Processor
- TRIPLE SLOTH
- Hermod
- Rample

Obviously, not all these modules will fit in a case, but I wanted to provide some ideas.

Lmk if you have any questions and thank you for the help :)

put the modules in a public rack and post the url in this thread! then we can see them!!!

all those modules will fit in a case - but you'll probably need 9-12u - these are still portable, if not so compact - I'm pro finding the modules you want, adding the modules you need to support them and then finding the right case - not buying a tiny case because it looks good (and you can fit it in your handbag) and then trying to cram (miniaturized) modules into it - but I do believe a lot of people are into that these days

However I would start smaller - 6u/104hp is a good starter size, not too big, not too small - Mantis is a good example - decent power and reasonably priced - difficult to find right now, but I believe re-stock is imminent

pick one sound source, one sound modifier, one modulation source, a way to play and a way to listen and go for it - add 1 or 2 more modules once you know these modules inside and out - maybe a month or 2 - and then repeat

The list of modules though is made up completely of what I would call feature modules - shiny expensive things - and no support modules (utilities) - these are usually overlooked by newbies - so don't worry you are not alone

utilities are the dull inexpensive polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine and prevents them from tarnishing!

in my experience you can do a lot more with fewer sound sources and modifiers and more modulation and utilities, than you can with a load of sound sources and sound modifiers and less modulation and utilities

I think about 50% of a modular case should be devoted to modulation and utilities - mostly utilities!

a good starter set of utilities is for example - mutable links, kinks, shades and veils - or other modules that cover all or most of the functionality of these modules (wmd/ssf toolbox goes a long way for example)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

So this is the starting place for the rack:

ModularGrid Rack

Thoughts so far?

put the modules in a public rack and post the url in this thread! then we can see them!!!

all those modules will fit in a case - but you'll probably need 9-12u - these are still portable, if not so compact - I'm pro finding the modules you want, adding the modules you need to support them and then finding the right case - not buying a tiny case because it looks good (and you can fit it in your handbag) and then trying to cram (miniaturized) modules into it - but I do believe a lot of people are into that these days

However I would start smaller - 6u/104hp is a good starter size, not too big, not too small - Mantis is a good example - decent power and reasonably priced - difficult to find right now, but I believe re-stock is imminent

pick one sound source, one sound modifier, one modulation source, a way to play and a way to listen and go for it - add 1 or 2 more modules once you know these modules inside and out - maybe a month or 2 - and then repeat

The list of modules though is made up completely of what I would call feature modules - shiny expensive things - and no support modules (utilities) - these are usually overlooked by newbies - so don't worry you are not alone

utilities are the dull inexpensive polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine and prevents them from tarnishing!

in my experience you can do a lot more with fewer sound sources and modifiers and more modulation and utilities, than you can with a load of sound sources and sound modifiers and less modulation and utilities

I think about 50% of a modular case should be devoted to modulation and utilities - mostly utilities!

a good starter set of utilities is for example - mutable links, kinks, shades and veils - or other modules that cover all or most of the functionality of these modules (wmd/ssf toolbox goes a long way for example)

-- JimHowell1970

Public modular is above :)

ok my thoughts on this so far:

too many sound sources and sound modifiers (feature modules) for such a small case - looks more like VSTs in a DAW than a balanced modular synth!

almost no support modules (utilities) that open up the possibilities of modulation

for me a balanced case would be at least 50% modulation and utilities (mostly utilities)

utilities are the inexpensive dull polish that make the expensive shiny modules actually shine and stops them tarnishing so quickly

work out which modules you really want - get some advice on what utility modules would work best to complement them and get the most out of them for what you want to achieve - and then find the right case - expect plans to change over time as you learn more about modular and how you patch it and what works for you!

don't rush out and buy all the modules at once - as I said above - start with a few modules and grow slowly

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Yeaaaaaaaaahhhh...no.

Please don't take the example you've posted as gospel for how a build should work. You're missing far too much in your example to even call that a proper synthesizer, and the original user you've gotten the idea from ALSO has made some fairly critical errors (VCAs? where are they?). This is one of the prime reasons I say that beginning modular users should NEVER get their info from YouTube...it's just too shot-full of bad info, and finding rational/knowledgeable modular users on there can be a real needle-in-the-haystack search. Might be a great video...but there's a lousy build in it.

You shouldn't buy a Pulplogic Zissou as a starter cab. They're awesome for specific builds...but trying to cram everything necessary for a PROPER modular in one is a very tall order, even for experienced synthesists. Go with a Mantis (as Jim's mentioned) or something similar...it'll still be portable (Tiptop even makes a dedicated gigbag for the Mantis) and you'll have ample room to do a proper build. Chuck this "beauty case" idea in the circular file, then spend some time looking at builds on here by experienced synthesists, especially ones that make use of some of the utility-hungry modules you've listed above. And keep this quote from Jim in mind:

"utilities are the inexpensive dull polish that make the expensive shiny modules actually shine and stops them tarnishing so quickly"

Damn right. You can build up a caseful of THOUSANDS of $$$ in sexy, shiny modules...but if you omit the utility modules and certain "boring" workhorses like attenuverters and VCAs, you'll just have an expensive noisemaker, not a synthesizer. Also, no one ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER gets a first modular build right. Or the second. Or...well, you get the idea. This is a process, and one that takes TIME to properly complete. Don't try and "speedrun" ModularGrid, as you'll only wind up wasting money and time in the end. Back up, take several deep breaths, then delete the above and start doing the real studying necessary to build a real modular. Also, picking up a copy of VCV Rack (costs $0) is something I'd strongly recommend so that you can see/hear firsthand what those "boring" modules are really there for.