The goal with this recording was to start dabbling in and begin to understand how I might use samples. I see a ton of videos using the Morphagene and you can definitely get some cool sounds out of that thing. A shout-out to aphew_goodman and his "meint ihr nicht / wir könnten / aber" track - that was also an inspiration here.

A few days ago I made a simple patch with the Piston Honda and Bionic Lester that quickly went to a dark ambient sounding thing. Loved it. Then I happened across a great bit of dialog in a Star Trek Voyager episode, "The Thaw", and I thought it might be perfect to try as an experiment.

I don't have a Morphagene, but I do have Pigments, and since the new v3 just dropped I had it running and gave it a go. I immediately loved what you can do in Pigments with samples. Spent a few hours tweaking, then I set up an arpeggio and let it run the samples. I dialed up the modular for the low end and some weirdness (thanks to the Bionic Lester's comb filter), added a self generating patch from the Hydrasynth for low-mids, a simple arp on the Pro3 for some hi-mids, and finally a snappy little wood-blocky kinda arpeggio thing on the Sub37.

This is essentially a live, mostly-improvised performance recording. It took about a two hours to get all the synths making acceptable noises, then I turned down all the volumes, hit record and brought in different bits in stages. There was some tweaking knobs on the synths and a lot of manipulating settings in Pigments as it played out. I did add a handful of additional sample triggers to fill in what I thought were gaps with the dialog parts.

The dialog is:
"Fear is the most primitive, the most primordial of biological responses"
"All we have to do now is decide how to negotiate with... an emotion... with a manifestation"
"When fear holds you hostage... how do you make it let go?"

Modules used:
Piston Honda, Bionic Lester, Mimeophon, Ochd, Pamela's NW, Quadrax, Quad VCA

Cheers!

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Lots of fun indeed in this track! :-) It's nice to read the details how you came to this, very interesting.

Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Wow! Thanks!

I rarely listen to tracks people post... but massive star trek fan - I'm called Jim after Kirk - because I negotiated watching (I think) the first set of re-runs of TOS on the BBC in 1973 when I was 3 years old - they were on at 11pm and my bed time was 7 or something!

I'm guessing the biological responses sample is Tuvok, but it really sounds like Leonard Nimoy's Spock...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I rarely listen to tracks people post... but massive star trek fan - I'm called Jim after Kirk - because I negotiated watching (I think) the first set of re-runs of TOS on the BBC in 1973 when I was 3 years old - they were on at 11pm and my bed time was 7 or something!

I'm guessing the biological responses sample is Tuvok, but it really sounds like Leonard Nimoy's Spock...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for checking it out! I find Star Trek absolutely fascinating, but I only got hooked when TNG was running. Yes, that’s Tuvok and Janeway. I’ve done three more “Trek Jams” since this one that you might also find amusing. They’re all on my SoundCloud in a playlist. “You Seem Apprehensive” is my favorite, but for some reason I think I listen to these more than any of my other recordings. I haven’t watch TOS in ages but there’s got to be a ton of sample worthy, inspiring dialog to build tracks around. Cheers!

There's plenty of "sampleable" phrases from all the series and movies imo... nearly every episode has something profound in it...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities