Thread: Change Log

That doesn't work at all on my smartphone.
Android+ fire fox.
-- klodifokan

Ah, shoot. That seems to be a bug in Firefox Android mobile I did not know about. Persists since 3 years :(
Strangely works on iOS Firefox. I will look if there is a walk around for that..

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

That works on Chrome.

Works well on iPhone/chrome (safari really, as it’s not build around actual chrome 😂)

Hello,

That doesn't work at all on my smartphone.
Android+ fire fox.

Manufacturer searchable datalist

Since we have so many manufacturers listed on MG the manufacturer select box in the module search form was not very easy to operate. Especially on touch devices where you could not enter a letter to shortcut to a manufacturer.
Now we have a datalist which is kind of a searchable select box.
It looks and behaves a little differently in the different browsers. Check it out and type something in the manufacturer field.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Thank you Wiggler55550 and CraigKirk for helping me understand electricity better and relieving stress about turning about 500hp into a smoke and lights show with a bunch of liquid mostly running out of my eyes... With the feeling like I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane with... What did I forget... Oh... The chute!!!

The power coming out of your wall outlet is 15A @ 120V, this equates to 1800W, the (whole order of magnitude) voltage difference being the thing you are missing.

The power you are pulling from the wall at THE VERY max from that case is something like 300W, and that's at absolute max (and there is no way you can come close to pulling like a quarter of that 5V margin)

You would have a very, VERY hard time maxing out a breaker circuit with a Eurorack setup.

No worries, it will run fine and will not blow any fuse. I'm actually running a similar case and a large ADDAC 901M on the same 16A circuit without problems.

So mine arrived yesterday, I slept only a few hours since, to capture a few spots I've been to. What a great fx module!

Hi everyone!!!
Have a question about any power issues. I checked the specs and it say +12V/8000ma, -12V/4800ma, +5V/16,000. I know practically ZERO about electricity so the math is not working for some reason so I figure there is something I'm not understanding. I'm getting 28,800ma total of power adding all together... Or would it be 19,200ma for just + with - subtracted? My main question is... If it's either 19,200ma or 28,000ma that should trip my wall outlet (15Amp) being 19.2 Amps ~ 28 Amps shouldn't it?
I guess what I'm asking is... Will this run perfect on your run of the mill 15Amp wall outlet or do I need something special?
Thank You for any help.

Hi everyone!!!
Have a question about any power issues. I checked the specs and it say +12V/8000ma, -12V/4800ma, +5V/16,000. I know practically ZERO about electricity so the math is not working for some reason so I figure there is something I'm not understanding. I'm getting 28,800ma total of power adding all together... Or would it be 19,200ma for just + with - subtracted? My main question is... If it's either 19,200ma or 28,000ma that should trip my wall outlet (15Amp) being 19.2 Amps ~ 28 Amps shouldn't it?
I guess what I'm asking is... Will this run perfect on your run of the mill 15Amp wall outlet or do I need something special?
Thank You for any help.

Deffo here, get a powerful brain to master the rack (even if you don't want to use it much, you always get support from it) I'm using the AKAI Mpc one 4out cv, brilliant

My experience: buy a decent drum machine/sampler and focus your modular for a specific task rather than viewing it as a jack of all trades.
-- richc90

HIYA GEEKS !

imo, I really really wanted de VE-CO because it looks so damn solid and all the reviews I saw in YouTube seems that it sounds phenomenal buuuut, I went fro the CS-L. Gosh demon aye, best best best sound source I have ever listen to, really. The quality is a bit doubtable to be fair, It looks super formal and gorgeous but the face panel is clearly plastic (also the knobs BUT doesn't feel cheap) but is indeed solid (not as solid as de ve-co)

I have to say that it's a little bit of a thing the "hands-on" process because it's small (26hp for a CO - this is the main reason why I picked it, cause my cases aren't that big) but jesus christ, it's just comes straight from the output and the path-signal is just pure cosmic sound design exploration (i'm sending cv from the pico seq and it's sooo easy)

No more experience with CO's. I have read about them all, my choose was this (as I mention the size it was pretty handy for me - you can check on my rack https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1788210.jpg ) but it does sound so clean: Cs-L guys from INSTRUO if at some point you read this, thumbs up !

This is my first post in ModularGrid, big fan
Cheers lads !

Just starting in Eurorack, my main focus is on granular textures and I'm trying to build an ambient hip hop type box. So I wanted to start with a home for Morphagene and then build on that as I get savings. My next purchase is Maths, then probably Ikarie, and some more utilities though I'm not sure what order to get them in. Everything is housed in a Mantis Case.

TL/DR: Man seeks to mangle audio from DAW and create quirky loops with DFAM. Did he do this right?

-- rckitup

Yes...and no. And the "no" part has to do with having the DFAM in your cab, filling up 60 rather spendy HP. You should take that out, put it back in ITS case and on ITS power, and leave the cab for things that have neither. As for the "yes"...it's sort of conditional on that DFAM's presence as well. Thus far, the module choices are OK, but there's quite a bit missing which also requires putting the DFAM back where it belongs. There's things that could be done better here, but if you don't have room for the modules that would need, you're sort of stuck.

-- Lugia

Okay but what would I be missing? I guess you mean the 3 Envelopes the Dfam can put out? Im interested.

i did rework the whole case tho, ill probably post a more focused question soon, theres a couple of things im getting stuck on.

Lugia, this looks a really fun system. Thanks for the write-up!

Just say no to Brains. Get a Plaits clone from Calsynth or any reputable builder and support a few smaller shops : )

It may be worth getting a Disting EX. The EX is a little more expensive than two mk4's and is less "eurorack-y" but it is far more usable than the mk4 and it is just a very flexible module. Some things I like using the EX for is as a wavetable sound source, a mono-to-stereo reverb, a compressor, a precession adder, and as a clockable AD envelope.

If you are looking for a random cv/gate generator a good one to look at is the Clank Chaos. It has 6 channels of gates and cv with the ability to go from very random to a repeating loop and it has a variety of additional useful features such as slew and quantize capabilities. If you want to make percussive sounds you should look at Rings. I find Rings very useful for as a type of accent tool, for lack of a better term. It is not uncommon for my patches to have audio be split to Rings and have the accent/reset of one of my sequencers ping Rings. If you are looking for envelopes the Behringer 140 is a solid option. It may be a bit too much HP-wise but you get two independent ADSRs with two normal outs from each ADSR and an inverted out. It also comes with a solid LFO. I have never tried this but I do believe you can use the LFO of the 140 as a basic waveform oscillator too via its frequency CV in.

If you want to have more tactile control over the gates you are using you can take a Grids and use it in the gate mode. This allows you to control the frequency of the gates and how many there are using your hands. This can go well with a swing module so that the clock that it receives leads to not completely on the grid notes. Something I would recommend, especially if you do go this rout, is to get some type of fader bank. I use MSW's but I know they aren't the only ones who make this. Having faders outside of the case that can control things can make modulation much easier, especially if you are using Grids like this.

In your situation I would probably go with the Verbos Multiple Envelope, I think the different outputs would complement the BIA very well and make it sound like more than a single voice. A lot of people associate it with the Varigate but it's not my style. Each Verbos module screams techno and later on you will find plenty of uses for the gate outs. You will also be able to feed the sequential switch with various outs. As of clock modulators, IDK, you could use the Maths to create gate delays or go with the Malekko quad delay (see Divkid video)? Maybe a burst generator would be cool, Ladik make an inexpensive one. But make sure you validate these with others, I far from excel at planning racks!

@jb61264 The Font on top right is a filter! I second the FX AID. Also how do you usually use the o_c? If you're stuck on a specific app, you could buy a module devoted to a similar utility (eg. Quadraturia --> Batumi). I'm far from being an expert but I'd say you lack some sort of clock modulator to create more interesting rhythms of of the Pamela (except if you're happy programming it but I'm not), and maybe complex envelopes (BIA is a sucker for envelopes)

-- gorilla

What would you suggest for Envelopes for BIA?
o_c is for turing machine mostly:) It's just cheaper than actual turing machine lol

@jb61264 The Font on top right is a filter! I second the FX AID. Also how do you usually use the o_c? If you're stuck on a specific app, you could buy a module devoted to a similar utility (eg. Quadraturia --> Batumi). I'm far from being an expert but I'd say you lack some sort of clock modulator to create more interesting rhythms of of the Pamela (except if you're happy programming it but I'm not), and maybe complex envelopes (BIA is a sucker for envelopes)

I would look at something like FX Aid XL which will give you lots more effects in fewer HP...or have a look at the Versio series from Noise Engineering. Nice that you can easily switch out firmware to any of the others that they have available.

Don't see any sort of filter in your rack yet...Doepfer Wasp or TipTop Forbidden Planet are good smaller HP filters

Disting EX may also get you some good mileage/HP in a smaller case like this

JB

Hey,

I posted my Matriarch, polyphonic companion some time ago but cannot find the thread again, so here is the updated version! I'd be interested to get some critics. I hope it will also give ideas to people building something similar. My goal is to get access to a good bunch of polyphony technics and overcome some of the limitations of the Matriarch. I tried to describe different ways to use the rack but it might seem too obvious to more advanced synthesists!

ModularGrid Rack

Chord related Arps

Harmonaig multed outs to BBT. It can be transposed further by the Sequence Selector into uScale. The 2 outs from uScale can be switched or T&Held by the Select 2.

Note related Voice

One Harmonaig out into uScale while a o_c sequence sends 1V/oct to the shift input, creates 2 related voices where transposition can be sequenced independently and envelopes to shift input create note bursts.

Simple Inversion and Voicing sequencing

5V into Réseaux provides 4 VCs to be fed into signal selectors or the 1U sequential switch. They can be used to sequence Harmonaig's voicing and/or Inversion.

Polyphonic voices w/ variable amplitudes

Polyphonic envelopes + Morph 4 address the Matriarch mixer limitations as it can't be VCed. They replace my actual setup of Zadar + Quad VCA. Envelopes can be used to advance the Sequence selector and/or select active stages.

Note hocketing etc.

Done through Step 8 + Ruissellement

Notes

I don't know if the sequencing part is well addressed. What I'm sure of is that I just CAN'T program the Matriarch sequencer and see myself using it less and less. I may miss offset/attenuverters and fw rectifiers to create positive LFOs. If I can get rid of the Next Phase, I'd be happy to take input on what I could add there instead. I've been hesitant in selecting the Harmonaig instead of the Bard's quartet and ended up getting 2 quantizers. Another solution would be to use a dual quantizer from Hemisphere and replace uScale with a 6HP dual sequencer (or a sequencer with scale and a transpose input eg. the Tirana). Cheers!

Still alive. Pausing for a moment to make some noises. :-)

Ah I see.

A fun dual purpose module from Synthrotek, a wave folder and a ring modulator in one unit.
Pretty straightforward build, and good interface when you start to use it.
Fold build

I'd get Plaits over Brains. If you're set on this amount of space, the 4HP is worth the extra dosh, and you'd be supporting MI over Behringer. And it looks better, which is what really matters. :-)

So in short: A 258T, folder, noise, quadratt, input/output, along with the PNW, Maths, 1x Veil, and Beads. Midi module can wait, an it is out of stock around where I am, or even online; but I can use CV outs on a controller etc for now. Something like the following, including a Disting EX for Swiss army knife of stuff.

PNW can be used to generate quantized, looped pitch sequences as well as gates, triggers and modulation, so all that is covered - having the ability to program sequences should be secondary at the moment compared to learning how modular works, at least for a while... a disting might be a good idea as it will allow you to play with different things - however, I would learn to use the other modules first - maybe consider adding the disting in a few months

if & when you do get a disting, don't try to play with all the algos at one go - work out a few algos you want to learn about and make use of the favourites feature to concentrate on those - if you find you particularly like one algo, replace that with a dedicated module and then re-configure you favourites (and repeat!!!)

I'd also recommend downloading the 'maths illustrated supplement' and working through that a few times - try to work out the why and how of what you are doing - it's a great learning resource, if you do this instead of just blindly patching....

-- JimHowell1970

Okay, sounds like a good plan. I read similar suggestions, and think I could resist getting side tracked with the Disting is probably fool hardy. I tried to get the doc the other day, but it was through some download site I got blocked by, will try again later.

Thanks

So in short: A 258T, folder, noise, quadratt, input/output, along with the PNW, Maths, 1x Veil, and Beads. Midi module can wait, an it is out of stock around where I am, or even online; but I can use CV outs on a controller etc for now. Something like the following, including a Disting EX for Swiss army knife of stuff.

PNW can be used to generate quantized, looped pitch sequences as well as gates, triggers and modulation, so all that is covered - having the ability to program sequences should be secondary at the moment compared to learning how modular works, at least for a while... a disting might be a good idea as it will allow you to play with different things - however, I would learn to use the other modules first - maybe consider adding the disting in a few months

if & when you do get a disting, don't try to play with all the algos at one go - work out a few algos you want to learn about and make use of the favourites feature to concentrate on those - if you find you particularly like one algo, replace that with a dedicated module and then re-configure you favourites (and repeat!!!)

I'd also recommend downloading the 'maths illustrated supplement' and working through that a few times - try to work out the why and how of what you are doing - it's a great learning resource, if you do this instead of just blindly patching....

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hey guys,
I ve almost finished my Skiff rack: ModularGrid Rack

Would like to ask you your opinion / advices on how could i improve modules order / which modules could be useful / good to complete the rack.

My needs:

• I m mostly doing techno (James Ruskin, Blawan kind of style) so I m looking into creating percussive, rhytmic basses & synths.

• Eurorack gonna be used mostly for synthwork (basses, leads, textures etc)

• Drums are made separately on Syntakt

• Then I process & mix everything in Ableton.

It’s a problem when you have multiple racks. See above.

--- 1U Row---
The 1U - makes sense to me, and without QoP drum module, the midi controls in there should be more then enough to start. Saves 3U space.

personally I think 1u makes little, to no, sense whatsoever... the cost of the 1u row is the same as for a 3u row, or in some cases more, I'd much rather buy 2 tiptop mantis cases than 1 of the intellijel 7u cases... and you can get much much more functionality in a 3u row than in a 1u row...

Yeah total get that, and if was do it again, it would probably do differently. But with the fact that I have the case now, and no real way to return it, I think the modules suggested makes sense.

---Audio Row---
Also about tuning the oscillators, I guess I would need to tune with an external module or scope?

a free phone app or a guitar tuner pedal (plus appropriate cable) or your DAW (if you have one) will work for tuning!!!

Doh, yeah :P

--- Good starting build---
In the context of:
1) What I was willing to spend originally with endorpin.es setup
2) Assuming I minimally start with 1x single 258T, 1x Folder, and the 1U utilities
3) And I currently have PNW, Maths, 1x Veils, and Beads already

What other modules would you suggest to start with right away, and maybe a couple additional modules after? Also not to many modules, to get overwhelmed :0

none - just grab the vco and folder (& the utilities) and see where you are - learn these modules inside and out and then start working out what you are reaching for - and then slowly add modules that add those functions
-- JimHowell1970

ModularGrid Rack

Cool, thanks for the help!

--- 1U Row---
The 1U - makes sense to me, and without QoP drum module, the midi controls in there should be more then enough to start. Saves 3U space.

personally I think 1u makes little, to no, sense whatsoever... the cost of the 1u row is the same as for a 3u row, or in some cases more, I'd much rather buy 2 tiptop mantis cases than 1 of the intellijel 7u cases... and you can get much much more functionality in a 3u row than in a 1u row...

---Audio Row---
Also about tuning the oscillators, I guess I would need to tune with an external module or scope?

a free phone app or a guitar tuner pedal (plus appropriate cable) or your DAW (if you have one) will work for tuning!!!

In the context of:
2) Assuming I minimally start with 1x single 258T, 1x Folder, and the 1U utilities

What other modules would you suggest to start with right away, and maybe a couple additional modules after? Also not to many modules, to get overwhelmed :0

none - just grab the vco and folder (& the utilities) and see where you are - learn these modules inside and out and then start working out what you are reaching for - and then slowly add modules that add those functions

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Selecting an alternate panel always works for me and it keeps showing in my rack.
What problem do you encounter when attempting this?

@Lugia TYVM for putting this together, helps a lot. I started researching the forums more and worked on some variations this weekend. The Mod/Utility row looks "similar" to what I put together. In the context of starting with 1x 281T and a few other items first, see below, can you comment on the following?

--- 1U Row---

---Audio Row---
For the Audio Row, totally see what you are getting at with the HP/cost etc. I do have the Furthrrr now, but I can return pretty easily (15min walk to the shop with 14 day return). I put it in a pico case and on my scope to check it out last night. I see the similarities with the Sin/Square, Sin/Sawtooth, and the wave folding. It looks like the Furthrrr has the choice of Sin/Sawtooth/Square on both oscillators, I guess I could use 2x 258t to do dual square setup if I wanted, correct?

I am not sure how to match up the Furthrrr bus switch for balanced, amplitude, frequency, and "furthrrr" settings, with your suggested build. Looks like the 1U noise tools provides the the features of the noise in the Furthrrr, and more features. Also about tuning the oscillators, I guess I would need to tune with an external module or scope?

Still wrapping my head around the mixing, other aspects at the end.

--- Mods/Utils ---
For the Mod/Utils I worked up something similar with the PNW, Disting Ex, Batumi / Zadar with breakouts, and Maths; though mine was missing the MISO, and Doepher ADSRs.

In the context of:

TYVM for your time

Different, hm? OK, here's what's in there and why...

Amusingly, that Buchla + Joranalogue combo costs $360...which is why I put TWO of 'em in there, and you STILL beat the Endorphin.es complex oscillator price! FYI, those Joranalogue waveshapers can take inputs from BOTH of the 258's two oscillators to "mash" the signals together as a waveshaped single signal with a bunch of FM or whatever else suits the occasion. Should be a fun rig!
-- Lugia

I want to achieve the sound of drifting pitch on the dfam.. say.. how a cs80 has a sound of vintage and nostalgia as the oscillator seem a little unstable.

-- Dfisound

Huh? That's not the key to the CS-80 sound, unless you want it to sound utterly hammered and miscalibrated. Mine sure doesn't sound like that...unless I'd kicked it down the studio stairs (and risking broken bones from that kick...remember: this mofo weighs 225 pounds!).

You're probably confusing that with what you can do with modulation via the control "tabs". That can get really elaborate, too; Yamaha didn't screw around when they cooked this thing up. But the "CS-80 sound" really has more to do with the architecture of the voice path, the ability to get at piles of functions rapidly with those tabs, and those FILTERS. And I'm not even going in depth on the ring-mod circuit, the ribbon controller, and so on...plus, the "preset" hatch makes a good place to keep a sammich handy for snacking while playing (DON'T ACTUALLY DO THAT! Seriously!).

Another possibility to go along with Jonau's suggestion above would be to check some of Nonlinearcircuits' slow chaos modulators. Since these can do random voltage movement at EXTREMELY slow rates (like, days at max), you can simulate VCO drift with these very easily.

Anyway, aside of the business above...I banged out a filled-out version of the OP's build. Here we go...
ModularGrid Rack
Different, hm? OK, here's what's in there and why...

TILES: I stuck with Intellijel here, as they have some really well thought out 1U stuff, such as the Noise Source (it's in here) which functions as a very effective "one-stop" utility. So what we have is a Stereo In (connects to a pair of 1/4" jacks on the cab), MIDI interface (connects to the USB MIDI jack), Noise Tools (clock, noise, s&h, slewing), QuadrATT (utility attenuverters, internal mixing), Dual VCA and the Stereo Output Mixer (connects to the other 1/4" pair). Now, that last pair allows you to parallel the Beads instead of relying on the wet/dry control, plus you can use the VCAs to control the level of either the Beads or the main mix in linked stereo. All you'd need to do is to mult the outputs from the mixer...we'll get to that in a minute...

ROW 1: This is all audio...and instead of one complex VCO, there's TWO. And not only that, each Buchla 258 is paired with a Joranalogue FLD6 waveshaper for even more timbral possibilities. Next is a Veils for straight VCAs, but you also have the option of using the Buchla 292's quad LPGs or a very twisted filter combo; if you were wondering about that 3 hp delay next to the Doepfer VCF, well...have a look at that Doepfer VCF. It's not merely Dieter's take on the MS-20 Sallen-Key pair, but it has an INSERT that lets you drop something else (like, say...a delay) into the resonance feedback path. And yes, delay + filter resonance sounds utterly insane and wild. Anyway, one last Veils on this row to control levels going into the Alyseum Q-Mix, which gives you four pannable inputs, a master level, and stereo outs. This is the point where you'd want to split out the Beads, btw...then you can balance your "dry" (direct mixer out) and "wet" (Beads), and also have some VCA control over one or the other, as needed. And the little white sliver at the left end is a Konstant Labs PWRchekr so that you can keep tabs on your DC rail health. Almost forgot that one...

ROW 2: Modulation and utility (and Beads)...Pam's, Disting EX, and then a Xaoc Batumi (with its expander) gives you four LFOs. Then Maths (of course!), and after that is another Xaoc piece, their Zadar quad envelope gen (again, with expander), and I added a pair of "quick access" Doepfer ADSRs. But in between the Zadar and the Maths, that's your "modulation modifier" zone...a MISO has the initial CV mangle, and then there's another Veils to provide VCAs over amplitudes coming from your mod sources. And then Beads...which is on the bottom row so that it could be closely located with the Q-Mix and Stereo output mixer above it.

Amusingly, that Buchla + Joranalogue combo costs $360...which is why I put TWO of 'em in there, and you STILL beat the Endorphin.es complex oscillator price! FYI, those Joranalogue waveshapers can take inputs from BOTH of the 258's two oscillators to "mash" the signals together as a waveshaped single signal with a bunch of FM or whatever else suits the occasion. Should be a fun rig!

as for falistri over maths - urgh - again personal preference, but I think the frap tools aesthetic is awful, cramped and all over the place!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Not only that, the panel graphics are nearly-useless. Yeah, I can figure out what's going on myself, but for anyone starting in modular, Frap's gear isn't going to be all that helpful. The sole module of theirs that I recommend on any repeating basis is the 321...because it's relatively easy to suss out AND it's about the only thing I can think of in 6 hp that rivals modules such as Tiptop's MISO for modulation alterations. Maybe if they tried to make the panels make sense, instead of like controls out of an UFO...as it is now, the Buchla-esque part they're 100% on is an obtuse UI. And this is coming from someone who's used Buchlas!

TL/DR: Man seeks to mangle audio from DAW and create quirky loops with DFAM. Did he do this right?

-- rckitup

Yes...and no. And the "no" part has to do with having the DFAM in your cab, filling up 60 rather spendy HP. You should take that out, put it back in ITS case and on ITS power, and leave the cab for things that have neither. As for the "yes"...it's sort of conditional on that DFAM's presence as well. Thus far, the module choices are OK, but there's quite a bit missing which also requires putting the DFAM back where it belongs. There's things that could be done better here, but if you don't have room for the modules that would need, you're sort of stuck.

Here is a quick summary of what is patched so far. I have the clock from the FH-2 going to the mult going to the grids (via the swing module), Chaos, turing machine, and stopler. Stopler and Grids are my drum rhythm sources that are going into the switch. The Stopler has two percs which are going to muted at the Cosmic mixer instead of the switch. The drums will be played from the Salmple. Then they will go into the Cosmic mixer with the aux going to a mono-to-stereo reverb in the EX and then coming back through channels 7 and 8. Then they will go to the Roland 531 mixer and yeet on out of here.

Hi all.

I am considering a new studio system. It needs to be able to hand drums, bass, chords, and a melody. It needs to be able to handle midi via an MPC, keyboard, or computer; it needs to be able to work without any connections to external equipment (not counting the Michigan Synth Works 16ch faders); and it needs to have some practical use as an effects processor for other gear. Basically, I kind of want this system to be able to handle everything. It needs to work as my drum machine. It needs to be able to be played as a keyboard instrument. It needs to be able to handle a more "traditional" eurorack use case.

I have some of these modules and some I will have to buy. I will also have the MSW 16ch. faders. I did not patch this in on MG but there will be some always patched connections going from the faders (to the 3 fills on micro grids; to the x and y on the micro grids). I have also already patched what I am thinking will be a set of permanently patched cables.

I was wondering if anyone would have any creative ideas for how to patch the rest of this system? I already have a good idea for how to handle the basics but I was hoping that there would be people here who can show me some more interesting patches that I can't, or wouldn't be able to, think of. While I want this to be a system that can handle everything at once the patch you suggest doesn't have to. I am far more interested in seeing what others can do with this and how that may work for my uses. Also, if you have any suggestions for modules that would be appreciated because, while I am fairly locked in to this system generally, I am definitely open to hearing what may be a better module for this system.

(also, this is my first time posting about a patch I sketched on here. If I am doing something and you can't see the patch or anything like that, please let me know and I will do what I can to fix it)

Hello there !

I've been posting some modular techno sessions over the past weeks. All improvisation, no pre-made sequences used
hope you'll enjoy :)

Thank you very much!

After making some prototypes for this small 1U-only case, designed to be possibly used as a companion to the 4ms pods, a couple of questions hit the surface...

So if you feel like this is something you might want to add to your setup, please check the quick survey linked below. Thanks!

https://forms.gle/TfoKTZWhrLNmvtKW9

You can just patch your attenuated LFO right into the VCO 1 CV input. The LFO will be added to the sequence, but only VCO1 will drift. So if the SEQ PITCH MOD is switched to VCO 1&2 you'll get a nice detune effect between both VCOs.
If you mult the LFO into VCO 2 CV, too, both VCOs will pitch drift together (mult with e.g. a multiple module or a stackcable).
Mind that the LFO should be attenuated VERY much. Typical LFOs swing between -5 and +5V which means 10 octaves in V/Oct terms. So the drift might be way too drastic. In my experiment I did to verify this concept the attenuator is open just a hair - literally. So you might be better off with two attenuators in a row to have more wiggle room for fine tuning ;-)
Cheers

Hi! I just wanted to share a super-cut from a show I produced along with my friends at BKVL in Brooklyn. It was a fundraiser we held for Willie Mae Rock Camp, a synthesis and electronic music school for kids. We are also doing a popup show at Better Nature Records in Sayville, Long Island this Saturday from 3pm-5pm. But I really like the way our last show turned out:

Hi all.
I have a dfam which I am using with my eurorack case.
I have lfo also.
I want to achieve the sound of drifting pitch on the dfam.. say.. how a cs80 has a sound of vintage and nostalgia as the oscillator seem a little unstable.
Could somebody help me understand how to achieve this and which modules are needed please?
Would it be maybe seq pitch into vca - attenuated lfo into vca.. mix together then back into the dfam osc pitch in?
Or could the lfo mess with the sequence?
Thank you if you can help!

@Lugia thanks for your legendary eye applied to the rack! Some great module suggestions in there - would you believe that just a few hours before you posted, I ordered several of those 2-channel micro Veils, glad we're thinking the same solution there!

I'm going to look in detail over your recommended modules that I'm not already familiar with. Definitely thinking this case would be a fun excuse to finally get a Zadar.

Agree that the Kickall and Branches just don't have much place here. I'm still interested in finding a way to work in the Mutable Ears because there's something appealing about tapping on the corner of my case, lol.

In my previous post I mention that I might take this in the direction of a MIDI-controlled polysynth with an external keyboard. Let me start working up a hybrid of your suggestions + the MIDI direction I'm exploring!

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram
For my baby daughter Luna who fought very hard to be here

I think the biggest thing I see here is that you have either 3 voices and 1 modulation module, or 4 voices and no modulation modules. Neither seems useful.

Second biggest thing: no VCAs.

Last question: how are you playing/sequencing this? That makes a difference for suggestions. If you're using midi, then not much to worry about... but if you're looking for in-rack sequencing, that would be good for us to know (though you have precious little space for it).

Assuming you want to keep this independent, I'd consider a 1u O_C, 1u VCAs, 1u noise/random, a 1u stereo mixer, and a Zadar or other quad modulation source.

-- Shakespeare

Just wanted to reply to your thoughtful comments! Completely agree that the case was pretty ridiculous with so many voices and so little plumbing and modulation. Honestly, this exercise keeps shifting as I play with it. I think I'm ending up more where Lugia is taking things below, turning this into some sort of task-specific monosynth or some sort of supplemental pallete for my other cases.

On the other hand, the past couple of days I've actually been messing with 4-channel MIDI CV in this case through a Mutable Yarns, which actually gave me a way to make use of all those voices (albeit not with much subtlety on tap, lol). Now thinking this might be a really fun way to build a portable, MIDI-keyboard controlled polysynth using part leftovers and part new gear.

Your suggestions really helped me think about where this case is going, appreciate it.

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram
For my baby daughter Luna who fought very hard to be here

Hi Klodifokan,

Good point, thanks, will check out the 4ms website and glad to hear that they mention it there. Sometimes such information is hidden somewhere in a corner of a manual, if at all.

Will edit/update the above post. Kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: Removed typo.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads