Well, nice stuff already in this thread, so I would like to contribute something...

I started a recording project about plants playing my modular, called it Plant Music and started to post the results here:

See you again in 2022 anyone!
M.

1) Upgrade the Function to a Maths
I'm not sure with this, function it's enough complex for me to keep it a while, upgrade to maths make me a bit scare. Sure maybe in a future when I feel more comfortable. For now, I try to learn and discover.
-- nokulture

I had the same feeling about Maths, but this tutorial completely changed my mind:

Thread: 42hp Lubadh

Wow guys, that was much more feedback than I expected. But for me this is extremely fruitful, as small cases focus on just a few modules, and you learn a lot about the essential favorites of the others with talks like this. I did not know some of the modules you mentioned, and I will definitely consider exchanging the Audio IO module for two more versatile modules.
Envelope following would really be nice, but my dream would be a 3-5hp module with an XLR mic input, phantom power, preamp and envelope follower. Did I say that this must be skiff-compatible? LOL. In my bigger cases I use the AP-1, which is IMHO the best and versatile input module available, but it needs so much space.

Thread: 42hp Lubadh

How do you like this combination? My on the go tape-looper for external sound sources - with feedback and filtering options...

Thank you to @tFunk ! Good service and fast transaction - module in perfect shape.

Hey guys, as promised here is the first example that maybe shows a hint of what I had in mind. My current setup is a Steinway Grand built 1907, a condenser mic and then a modular setup mainly built around a 4ms DLD, an Erbe Verb and Clouds. Comments are more than welcome...

Hi you modular pros,

I have an idea in my mind, but I'm not sure how to build it into reality. But maybe you could help me. I drafted my current setup (only the relevant modules) in the picture below.

I want to play an audio signal into my modular system, this should be recorded at channel 1 of the DLD for let's say 16 bars, then I want the DLD to play these 16 bars (modulated through the Clouds) and at the same time record the incoming audio signal into channel 2. After another 16 bars the channels should be switched, so that channel 1 is recording again and channel 2 is on playback (modulated through the Erbe-Verb).

What do I need to do/change/add to make this using the current setup?
Any hint is appreciated!

Best,
TheMM

Just send me an OCS-2 for testing to Germany and I will do some sound files for you. Seriously...
M.

Hey Cyrille,
interesting thingy that you built! Are there any sound examples online where you use an external audio input (maybe some piano playing) and modulated it through the OCS-2 signal path? This would be very interesting to hear.
Best,
Marc

Sounds promising! How about some piezos on the piano to get some signals besides audio? Like vibrations from the body and stuff like that... maybe an envelope follower...

Piezo is a nice idea! Envelope follower could work, too - I'll check that out. Thanks!

you can buy an audio interface for the iphone or (what i did) solder yourself a "breakout"-cable with a TRRS jack. Guess you can buy such a cable somewhere...

Just found an iPhone compatible audio interface in my closet. This will work I hope... ;-)

Okay guys, here is a video snippet of my very early tests of my setup. Of course endless options to explore, but you can see the basic concept. Enjoy!

PS: Can someone let me know how to record video and external audio on an iPhone at the same time?

Just ordered the ADDAC301 Floor Control to control some things with my feel while playing the piano with my hands. The other way around might also possible, although I lack a little expression when playing the piano with my feet... :-)

1. processing of piano sound, 2. deriving cv from your playing the piano to control modules.

Yes, these are the two current options I have in mind.

One feature I would definitely want in there is a pitch to voltage converter.

Looks promising. Are there other pitch to voltage converters that are not so exotic? The RS-35 seems not to be easily available...

Plus more more ways to get cv out your piano. Maybe from the pedal?

Good idea, anyway I need to be portable to other instruments, as I do not want to bring my own grand to the gig. ;-)

Curious what you come up with in the way of processed piano!

I'll post sound snippets maybe this weekend. Promised...

Hey you Moduleheads,

I am mainly a pianist with a strong addiction to experimental music.
In my head there is this strange idea of playing a piano concert, where I modulate the original sound of the piano into some electronic devices that will respond and interact with my playing. Further I wanted the option to add some drone sounds or sequenced patterns, and finally some drums, can be triggered with my piano playing or a predefined beats.
So this is the basic setup I almost finished, so I am just a day or so before testing this beast.

The piano sound will go into the Ears and then splitted clean into the mixer and into the Clouds. The Mother will provide the clock for the trigger module that can play the drum sounds, trigger the Peaks or the Clouds. The Mother Sequencer and VCO can provide a basic drone sound or basslines. Or it can be used to control the Clouds.
There are the basic scenarios I tried to cover.

I am open for comments. What can I do better? Am I missing something? Are there options I am currently not thinking about? Is the answer always 42?

Best,
TheMM

Hi all!

I am quite new to the world of modular madness, but I want to dive in deeply with a project I have in mind for a few months now. I want to do concerts with piano improvisations, playing against or with drones and rhythm patterns from a modular system.

My requirements are:
- not too sophisticated options, because I need to control the drones at the same time as my piano playing
- very good audio quality, for recording along with an acoustic grand piano
- the complete system should fit in a 2x84 case
- no need of an additional laptop
- MIDI clock out for an optional drummer, who needs to get a MIDI click from the system

For example I like the sound of the Erica Fusion series. The video of their Drone Rack is quite cool. Also the new Octasource looks promising, although I think it would not meet my request for an easy to control system.

I have the rack and a Moog Mother 32 as basis. And I am completely about what you modular-pros would recommend.
Hope this is going to be a nice conversation.

Thanks,
TheMM

The Base Setup