Cheers Jim, will have another look

I'm trying to find a way to search for Jim's posts and in particular the one about his formula for modules and rack space but I can't find a way to do it. It will take forever scrolling through all the old posts to find it that way. Must be an easy way, any advice welcome please.

Thanks Greenfly, good advice, I have seen the mylarmelodies one before but it's good to revisit as we progress, often things make more sense. I shall also check out Jim and Lugia's posts too if I can find them. I'm setting myself a challenge/task at the moment to spend some time each day just really delving into one module and seeing what it can do over and above what I have already used it for. Easy to get into a sort of comfortable rut if not careful and miss out on some great features.

Got it yeah! I contacted Emilie at Mutable and she said turn Meta off. That took some finding but for anyone else with same problem here it is, go to FMCV in the menu settings and click encoder. You can then scroll through various options. META is one of them and although it wasn't set on, the one you need to set it to is FREQ which activates the fine tune knob. Then click encoder again and scroll to SAVE and click and hold that for a second. It should then activate the fine tune whenever you switch on.
Thanks again to all who suggested things. Happy now!

Couldn't find anything on the Mutable forum on this. I checked the firmware version on my module which is V4.1 which I think is the Bees in the Trees mod. I found an article about this hacked version and this extract refers to fine tuning.

" there are no new capabilities provided except that fine tune no long shares a CV channel with FM, and thus the FTUN setting in Bees-in-the-Trees is not really needed with the new version of Braids (so just ignore it!)."

I don't really understand that statement. It's saying the FTUN setting no longer needed but I guess the fine knob should still work but presumably you don't need to adjust it's settings. These seem to be the range in which the knob works and not whether it is enabled or not. I know I did get it working a while back but have rarely used it since but now I have more VCO's in my rack I want to be able to fine tune it to match them.

thanks again Jim

thanks Jim, yes i looked in the manual and it doesn't even cover it. I bought the module used when I first got into modular and so not sure if it's original or clone. It has a black face panel but I think the guy said he changed it to match his other black ones. As I said I did get it working once so it's not a design/build issue. The module works in every other way so it's a puzzle. I might try the Mutable support, cheers for that.

Hi folks. Having trouble using the fine tune function on Braids. It doesn't have any effect. I know I had issues at first and needed to go into the fine tuning menu and set the range and it did work then (I think it was at zero which obviously wouldn't work) but I've checked and it's set to 10. Tried it on other range settings but still has no effect. Am I missing part of the procedure for enabling it or what? Any advice much appreciated.

Ronin that's a great idea thanks

+1 on Jim above...fact is, there's not really any such thing as "redundancy" in modular synthesis. If you have more than one of the same VCO, for example, you can detune one or two of them and the result is a massive, obesely fat sound.

As for the TM, it's still very useful. For one thing, it gives you (when fully implemented) multiple random sources that can be "captured" and looped when you find an interesting bit. And coupled with a few other modules (Ladik's Discriminator immediately comes to mind), you can use the TM to generate random gates depending on the CV outputs' direction of motion. Or you can fire those CVs into some comparators and create an array of random voltages to send gates elsewhere. And on and on...no, I wouldn't lose it, and it's definitely not "redundant". Lots of abuse potential in those TMs...
-- Lugia

Thanks, still pretty much a novice and haven't got into the more subtle and manipulative aspects of some of my modules yet. Not in a hurry to get rid. I've been adding a few new modules recently and the rack is almost full now. I don't intend getting a bigger rack and wondering if any of them could be moved on to make way for more useful ones. As you all know it's a never ending journey really and requirements change over time as you start to realise what your modules can or can't do.

I have a Pam's and it's nice but you can't change parameters easily without menu diving. You do have two CVs you can assign but it's still not "performable".

After starting out with a bunch of everything-and-the-kitchen-sync modules, I am slowly replacing those with singular function modules. Space in the case be damned.

The last module I added was an actual Turing Machine. :)
-- kokernutz
Thanks. I wanted the Pam's anyway for the master clock and multiple synched outputs. The Voltage block is great for adjusting parameters on the fly and can produce random sequences of different lengths similar to the Turing which is what makes me feel it might not be so useful now.

Loved it for random sequences etc but recently acquired a Pams New workout and a Malekko Voltage block. Also have Batumi 4x LFO and Disting mk 4 which between them can produce lot's of sequenced and random cv stuff. As I'm running out of space in my rack I am wondering if the Turing and the two expanders are worth keeping or pretty much redundant now. Am I missing something unique about it that the other stuff doesn't cover? Thanks for any advice.

Yes, if you click on the picture of Lugia’s rack, you should be able to select edit/duplicate rack in the top left of your screen.
-- farkas

Thanks

Is there some way I can copy Luiga's suggested rack setup to My Modular page so I can work on it please?

Thanks guys much appreciated. Lugia, thanks for spending so much time on it. Much to consider and probably a bit more than I have time or money to achieve it. Looks like a great setup and I can probably take some of that and run with it. I've been thinking about getting an extra case, something small like an Intellijel pallete but I would probably get more bang for the buck from upgrading from 6U 84HP to 104HP, reorganising it and adding some of the suggestions here.

A couple suggestions come to mind:

1) Add something like a DannySound CaliOsc + a Timbre or a Make Noise STO + an Intellijel Bifolder to get into some analog wavefolding and variation territory, I've been doing that with Random*Source Serge modules and really loving it.
2) Get a 4MS Ensemble Oscillator, tons and tons of stuff to explore in it from chaotic drones to lush synth strings.
3) Get a Tanh, don't change anything else and start exploring feedback patching.

Specific additions aside, the main thing that comes to mind for me looking at this rack is actually to set aside the Rings and to keep the Kinks. It's too easy to dial in good sounds with Rings which ends up making me lazy at least. Substituting it with something that requires more effort and skill will bring some of the excitement back into your patching, imho.
-- troux
Thankyou food for thought to check out. I really like Rings but starting to feel I am overusing it. The 4ms module sounds interesting

The Bastl Grandpa granular sampler and Spa expander are an interesting, quirky, 10hp, lo-fi combo. I've been eyeing it for a while myself. Seems like a deceptively powerful texture generator.
-- farkas
Thanks will look into those.

Hi

This is my current rack about two years old now. I'm starting to feel a bit stale with it. I think I have a good basic set-up with a bit of everything and am happy with most modules. I'm thinking of ditching the output module and MI Kinks which will give me 14hp total spare. I am looking for ideas to fill that with something to give me a bit more excitement. I am mainly into ambient and drones, industrial and very much into experimental stuff using reel to reel tapes/loops, circuit bent toys and other sound mangling devices and home made instruments. As well as what is in my rack I have a passive self built unit giving me attenuators, mults etc numerous guitar fx pedals - delay, reverb, chorus, tremolo etc and also I have a Arturia Microbrute semi modular and Beatstep, and a Yamaha reface CP piano keyboard. So what do you think would give me a step up the ladder and some new inspiration please. Much appreciated.

ModularGrid Rack