Thanks for the feedback Jim - really handy. Can you recommend any utility modules you've enjoyed using? Currently toying with the idea of adding in Miso or Triplatt, but perhaps they're a bit overkill with the CVP already in there?

I'm totally open to suggestions on the oscillator front. Pam's is a great shout. I think Permutation stays in as I can't seem to find a Turing function in Pam's unless I'm missing something?

I'm happy to replace the case with a larger one later down the line to be honest and it will most likely happen before long, but that being said the nudge led to good discoveries on the EG front with Quadigy so thanks for that. Lower hp SOU alternates that spring to mind are Random Sampling (admittedly still on the large side), Wogglebug and Sloths unless you have any other ideas? Can't deny RS looks pretty cool with the ASR feature.

Updated rack below

ModularGrid Rack

Hi all,

Title says it all. What do you think? Would you chop and change? Just a hypothetical rack at present

As it stands, the Furthrrrr Generator and MA35 are the absolute must keep modules, the rest I'm flexible and open to swaps etc. One of the priorities however is Ergonomics; I can appreciate that Ochd is touching on the compact side of things, but generally speaking space to wiggle knobs without interference is ideal.

The aim of the case is to explore sound on the experimental tip. Sequencing currently to be done with an SQ1 or Turing type module. Potentially thinking about expanding into the future for multiple voices, but for now multitracking is all good.

Artist reference points: Sciama, Fresnel Lens, Synth Sense.

Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

The simplest solution that springs to mind is to use a 3.5mm to 6.3mm (1/4") adaptor into your audio interface. The UR44's mic inputs have gain pots that can act as attenuators to save you some pennies and rack space.

I ended up soldering a wire to replace the adaptor as a nice to have, but it's totally nonessential. Verbos even sell them nowadays.

Absolutely brilliant ideas. Thanks MNLO.

I really like the look of Verbos. They've seriously nailed function and form. I'm a fan of the Harmonic Oscillator (and their whole system!), so perhaps the case will take a stroll down that street next.

I'm easy in terms of direction. I suppose one path I'd like to explore is implementing the classic techniques (subtractive/fm/additive etc.) with gritty digital sounds reminiscent of the 80s/90s era of bit-depth/sample-rate restricted technology. Any thoughts?

In all honesty though, I don't want to steer the thread too much in order to hear ideas that simply wouldn't have crossed my mind before. The only real criteria being what have people found to be particularly great sounding and fun to use.

Hi folks,

I'm reaching out to ask for ideas to build on my current set up.

The original plan was to build a powerful 3 oscillator monosynth (done) then proceed to get weird. Sequencing and effects are catered for outside of the case.

If it helps to list inspirations, Synth Sense and DAAT have been in rotation for a hot minute. Long story short, I like it when synths sound like synths, and I'm open to all types of synthesis.

There's a whopping 88hp left in the case. What would you do to fill the space?

alt text

Edit: For some reason the third oscillator isn't showing.

It's a pleasure. I think the key thing to take away from it all is that ACL know what they're doing and the quality is top notch.

A quick chime about the ACL Discrete Core Ladder and Stefan's support in general:

The module is a lovely sounding filter - my favourite in fact! It's very well thought out with a 3 channel mixer, 2 frequency cv inputs, resonance cv, outputs for 6, 12, 18 and 24 db/oct slopes, bass boost and a two feedback circuits to get either the classic ladder taper as the frequency drops or another that allows you to get the resonance pretty low. The filter takes to overdriving and fm very well. Slamming the inputs at high resonance settings sounds absolutely killer. I picked up the AJH at the same time and ended up sending it back as the ACL ladder could do everything the AJH could and then some.

Speaking with Stefan has been a pleasure too; he's a super cool guy to talk with.

Attention to detail and sonic quality is the name of the game for them and it really shines through playing with the filter. On the whole my experience with ACL has been very positive and I can't recommend trying their modules out enough.