Totally agree and prices now are way more affordable. I had the chance to recently test out a new Korg MS20 and Korg Arp Odyssey and love these synths as they sound amazing, do not cost much, and have easy to use features compared to the menu diving of my Elektron gear. I love my Korg SQ-1 such a good sequencer for the money. One day having a Buchla Skylab and Rythm Generator or Music Easel would be awesome along with a Serge system but these cost a small fortune and I can get by fine with the less expensive modular offerings. The Buchla LEM look interesting.

I think they were talented and super lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Both Subotnik and Ciani had access to Buchla early on and built their track record on it without having to spend any money rather sweat equity.

The same can be said for Alessandro Cortini who paid his dues and joined Trent Reznor on NIN stuff.

Kaitlyn was born into a super wealthy family with connections.

Anyways the future crop of modular hopefully will be more affordable whatnot with Neutron coming out for under $300 for a patch semi modular.

Good to know about Vietnam and Buchla, Lugia! Yes, I was against the Vietnam war as well. That is true, Vietnam has different mindset than the greedy evil Chinese empire. I have a few Vietnam made products that are quite good and well made like my Vox amp.

Unfortunately, I don't have 30k lying around to splurge on Buchla Skylab and Buchla Rhythm gear which is what you really need to be able to create real music like what Suzanna Ciani, Alessandro Cortini, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and Subotnik do since they have these high end Buchla modular rigs. Not sure how these people got so lucky to score the money and Buchla gear? I read their bios and they seemed to be in the right place at right time and super lucky and not born wealthy.

As an American, I do prefer to support people in my own country if possible of course.

Hopefully we can start making products again in the USA that are quality and affordable.
I plan to go back to school for an electronics degree so I can build my own custom music gear for fun.

Small scale machines now provide the way to fabricate electronics and other gear at low price point. It used to require a billion dollar fab wafer shop and machines but now for a few grand you can buy a quality CNC and PCB machine to produce own hardware.

Personally, I am against sending my hard earned cash to a communist evil government that abuses its people like Communist Red China. But that is me and too many people only look at low cost. Why not just save up for a quality piece of gear? Buchla is super expensive but nothing really sounds like it. Then again, I hate how BEMI screwed Don Buchla over big time right before he died so that gives me pause to buy a Buchla as well.

I have mixed views on this- personally I think we need to go back to American made electronic components and rare earth minerals since allowing a communist dictatorship corner the market on it is not great for the west. Second, they need to be affordable.

I would still buy a full MN CV bus system if I had the spare cash to burn as I have enjoyed my 0-coast quite a bit and NIN synth master Alessandro Cortini uses one on his music along with Buchla and Verbos and Elektrons.

Yea they are taking the same walled closed garden approach of Buchla which I don't like either. If I was gonna spend 5k for a full system from one vendor, it would be Buchla or Serge. They sound amazing and top synth masters use them.

What would be a good modular drum setup for techno/house/acid type sounds that use 808/909 patterns or should I do the analog drum synth route like an MFB Tanzbar?

Genius as always Lugia- you really need to write a book on synths and the modular world- I would want an early adopter copy and review it.

I love my Elektron Analog 4 MK2 synth- it has great capabilities for CV routing and sequencing. I use it with my Make Noise 0-coast as stepping stone into the rat hole of modular gear. What I love about it is to layer the FX such as reverb and delay on top of the modular stuff for extra flavor. In and of itself, the Analog 4 is just an awesome analog synth with great sound and one of the best sequencers on the planet. You can create entire songs alone with it.

I dig the MS-20 that thing is mean and great value. Very dirty and playful character and finally got time on one this week.

I wanted a cheap sequencer for modular besides my Analog 4 and the Korg SQ-1 delivers for value. In some ways I like it better to sequence my Make Noise 0-c0ast because it has some tricks up its sleeve missing from the Elektron like more CV control options and so forth. Plus it connects to my Korg Volca Beats easily as a master controller device.

Perhaps a modular sequencer like Eloquencer might work? I love those! Or a Hermod?

Hi folks,

Been looking hard at the Intellijel 7U case or new Make Noise 7U case to use for building my first modular rig.
I love wave shapers and LFO for crazy twisted trance, techno, and house beats. Looking at modules from Harvestman and Erica Synths and Intellijel. What would be a good setup for this kind of music? I use a Korg SQ-1 to sequence my Make Noise 0-coast and Elektron Analog 4 MK2 via CV out and sample to my Elektron Octatrack. I see guys with 20k in gear which is way out of my budget. What would be a realistic east meets buchla west coast setup for this kind of sound? I don't want to get Make Noise modules since I hate the hard to read graphics and funky setups. It is ok on my 0-coast but I want to explore different stuff.

Recently had a nightmare situation hooking up my non-modular gear to a club PA mixer that produced poor volume controls. Want a good mixer that can be used for both modular and non modular gear.

Agree with you guys here regarding VCV Rack, I tried to use it and it was flawed at best. Since I have NI Komplete and was trying the Reaktor blocks that is way more fun. Not rich enough to buy a full on Eurorack setup but think with Reaktor, Massive and my 0-coast that should tide me over for a while. It is sad how VCV Rack wasted its potential in reaching musicians.

Cool I am thinking of:

1) Case/power supply
2) VCO
3) VCF
4) VCA
5) 2xEGs
6) Utilities: slew, clock, mults
7) LFO

That keeps budget as close to under 2k for a starter system to learn on and grow later. I don't have 50k for a wall system right now and the nice prepackaged systems are too expensive. Doepfer A100 is the least expensive one at 2.5k though and the Endorphin.es looks neat as well.

So watching videos on learning modular systems the idea is start with a VCA, VCO, filter, clock, envelope and power/case.

ModularGrid Rack

What are your thoughts on this versus buying a fully assembled system like the Doepfer A100, Make Noise Shared System, Harvestman Polivoks package ?

My goal is to learn modular synthesis well. I already have an Elektron Analog 4 and Make Noise 0-coast and for sampler/sequencer have my Elektron Octatrack. So would not need to spend cash right away on sampler/sequencers or controllers since the Elektron can manage modular over CV connections.

The package systems I am looking at in future:

For under 2k the Polivoks looks cool for industrial!
http://store.industrialmusicelectronics.com/product/iron-curtain-electronics-full-system

Make Noise Cartesian (about 2k)
http://www.makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/system-cartesian

Verbos System (about 3.5k)
http://www.analoguehaven.com/verboselectronics/compositionsystem/

Endorphin.es Shuttle system (2.5k)
http://www.noisebug.net/site/endorphindotes/index.cfm?ID=2

While I would love a Buchla the cheapest one the Easel is 5k!
The expensive drum Buchla machine is on my list however. And if I score a big bonus I would love a Buchla Skylab.

I looked at Phenol, Ants, and Modulor but they look like they cannot be expanded or fit into a Eurorack or modular system and look to be more stand alone portable units.

Don't forget to get VCAs! Make sure to get a decent CV keyboard controller device
and sequencer/sampler as well.

I too am working on planning my first modular setup. For now, just using my 0-coast and Elektron gear.

Ok first to clarify,

Do you have MIDI on these devices? Sounds like you would benefit from both a mixer and sequencer.

Behringer makes cheap Eurorack mixer
For sequencer- you can get a Beatstep Pro and Korg SQ-1 to handle the modular and other gear. These both have CV and MIDI.

That would be the easiest and cheapest route that I am aware of.

BUT if you actually want to sequence and play each track separate you need a more powerful sequencer I think like an Elektron Octatrack, Squarp Pyramid, Social Entropy Engine, or Kilpatrick Carbon!

Nice! Well if I get a job where I can score deals on modular gear than it will help me piece together my portable setups for space and industrial music. Something that can do industrial, house, techno, deep psy-trance. Bands like Infected Mushroom and Shpongle come to mind. Unfortunately it is hard to find out what actual gear Infected Mushroom and Shpongle actual used!

So here are my thoughts:

Industrial modular rack
House/Trance/Techno/Psy-trance, ambience spacey sounds

My Elektron, Moog, and Make Noise 0-coast do a fairly decent coverage of house/techno/bass ground.

The Oberheim semi modular system looks good as does the Analogue Systems gear.

Hmm good to know I did see Nord gear as well at one live concert used by Tangerine Dream as well as Moog gear and Roland synthesizers. So probably an Oberheim SEM would be good for the spacey sounds since I already have a Moog Sub 37.

What kind of modular setup would be great for ambient, spacey trance and house sounds like that from Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk? Besides industrial this is a sound that I love.

Looks cool- all that it needs is a detonator switch and wires and wick then you have an explosive synth!

Agree in many ways extremely fortunate to have the power of what would cost MILLIONS of dollars years ago and require a large studio to use. The flip side today is that making a living off of music is nigh impossible due to the flood of cheap music gear and everyone is an instant DJ/musician online and music is free on most channels.

Then again, music to me is a hobby and way to explore and eventually create the soundtracks to my short stories, screenplays and novels that I one day hope to complete and spin into small films or animated features. It would cost me a fortune to pay a band like KMFDM or Metallica to use their music. BUT I can create my own takes with the gear widely available to me.

In fact I was producing some tracks the other day with my Elektron and Make Noise 0-coast that sounds very industrial KMFDM and Skinny Puppy/NIN in many ways. That brought smiles to me. Now I just a mike to record harsh lyrics and write some songs the record to Ableton or Cubase and remix/remaster.

Yeah old SP was fun- hard to listen too as they were quite experimental for the time but very insightful use of synthesizers. I also like the old New Order stuff back when they were Joy Division. KMFDM had the best lyrics and overall package and made use of samples quite a bit on their old stuff. BUT my favorite is Wumpscut that one man show Rudy had some harsh industrial grade cuts. Sad that he gave it up after admit he could not make a living out of music.

That would be fun to have all the different tools for exploring all fields of synthesis: subtractive, west coast, FM, wave table, and granular. Hope I land gig and can score discounts to fund these ventures as it is not cheap! But will see if contenders like Behringer over time can lower entry costs as the Neutron looks promising for a 3 oscillator modular desktop with patching options. That and the Plankton Ants are quite affordable steps. I am blown away at how much I can get by on just with my tiny Make Noise 0-coast device. It sounds like a mini Buchla in many ways.

True and back then before modular became popular, bands like KMFDM, Skinny Puppy, Funker Voght and Front Line Assembly were using hardware synths like Roland SH-01, Korg MS-20, Nord and Access Virus.

Thank you Lugia for the great explanation! I think getting an Akamie's Castle module for FM
and Waldorf Wave table oscillator with VCA and VCF works for wave table synthesis.

Regarding granular synthesis, is this even possible on modular gear or is it too complex and expensive?
Normally computers do this but I'd be curious if modular can do granular synthesis and how to do that as well.

Yeah the Waldorf and Akamie's Castle would fit the bill for wave table and FM synthesis in a Eurorack! Do I need lots of VCAs and filters for those two modules? I think having FM, wave table and the few industrial niche modules plus utilities, power/case and some Erica Synth pico modules would make for a fun portable setup. I don't have 50k plus like our wealthy friend on here. Something like this might work?

ModularGrid Rack

Of course I would take out the Sputnik touchpad and have it separate to free up rack space for other modules.

Hi all,

I want to build a rack that has modules to use for exploring FM and wave table synthesis! Besides the industrial sound from modules like Subconscious Communications, Trogrotronic, and Metasonix, what would you recommend for such a rack and why?

I figure that I can have my one row of industrial special modules and one row for FM and one for wave table!

Wise man Lugia, same here. I used Elektron before and needed a hardware sampler/sequencer/synth that was light and portable and can handle modular gear and MIDI. The 0-coast is my baby step into the world of modular on a budget and so far a lot of fun.

I prefer west coast synthesis , FM and wave table synthesis to traditional east coast subtractive synthesis (eg: Moog) because of the unique approach of creating from a fresh scratch pad and building up a soundscape versus using filters to take away until the final product is developed. Also the industrial aggro music uses mostly FM and west coast synthesis eg) NIN and Ministry for crafting their sound.

Wowzer Lugia.

That was brilliant. I like different packages for the reason that they can be used together or stand alone in portable setting like if I had just the Buchla Skylab that can be my workstation at a club DJ type event. But yeah the wall of power as you discuss would be impressive indeed! I have a buddy with a wall similar to that but not quite as big. I was in awe when he showed me his setup.

BUT my budget is much smaller and realistic so I am happy to play in the small end of the fish pond before diving deep into Eurorack. Even if I won the 100 million dollar lotto tomorrow, I would probably never spend 50k at a pop on new gear. Probably get one system and master it then see about options. My experience being new to all this taught me to squeeze out drops from one module- the 0-coast which is amazing for that itself. I can only image what 10 modules would do for me!

Agree with you here Lugia, and I have Cubase and Ableton to do that software stuff. For me, it is fun to experiment and sketch out ideas on hardware whether it be modular or hardware synths and then import the samples into a computer for mixing and remastering into a final product. That is my goal to produce a soundtrack for a novel/screenplay and short film project. If you look at what the pros do like Hans Zimmer- he uses synths and modular gear and then samples into his custom computer workstation or his assistants do that work and he just plays around on the synths and modular.

Indeed and Elektron gear holds a special place in my heart even though some Eurorack snobs scoff at using it as being digital and not full of knobs and dials and wires. I have been having the time of my life mixing the modular world with the digital world of Elektron and Make Noise- they really do pair quite well together for those with tight small studios!

I can now sketch out ideas quickly in an organic way with hardware versus a computer DAW. Then upload and remix/remaster in the DAW like Cubase for consumption and send to my Elektron Octatrack for live performances.

Off topic but related to sequencers/samplers-

Why the heck is the Cirklon sequencer so darn expensive and in demand? It is sold out now and twice as much as Elektron gear. Same for the Social Entropy modular sequencer!

Just make sure to have a few good sequencers and samplers! You can get Eurorack modular samplers/sequencers- I like the ones made by Make Noise. Also look at the Kilpatrick Audio Carbon sequencer and Squarp Pyramid. Lot of folks overlook this area in passion of fancy VCO and LFO modules and synthesizers!

I would get a Buchla Skylab, Elby Serge, Make Noise Shared Black and Gold System, Doepfer A100 system
and Moog Model 15 modular for that wall of Eurorack sound and have plenty of cash left over for custom add on modules.

For example:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/System35LTD--moog-system-35-limited-edition-reissue-modular-synthesizer

https://buchla.com/product/200e-system-4-skylab/

See what Buchla can do:

See what Serge can do

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/shared-system

ANY modular can do arpegiators that is basic thing anything can do that has a sequencer. You also want a good sampler.

Oh and don't forget to get a keyboard controller while you are at it. I like the Korg MS 20.

The Serge, Buchla, Make Noise, and Moog modular will have all that you need. I think it would be wise to find a modular store to visit and try gear out before spending cash. Join a local music group and make friends with modular gear. That helped me a lot and I am still treading cautiously since I don't have tons to blow on the wrong gear.

Also are you planning to play live at all? You probably also want a lunchbox portable setup as well.

Here is what you can do JUST with the MS-20 and Make Noise Shared System:

It can make some killer drums without a drum module too.

Sure thing Exigen! I am sure that our resident expert Lugia will chime in as well with his thoughts. Have you considered getting the Microbrute 2s package that has the Arturia Microbrute plus case/power supply? That would be great way to go and you can add a few modules slowly and see what works for you. Modular drums are EXPENSIVE!

The Phenol and other kits are nice and affordable before launch into a full 50k setup. My buddy has such a wall but it set him back a small fortune! Plus he has tons of other gear that he bought that he never uses now.

I played with an MS-20 and SH-101 yesterday and loved the MS-20 but the SH-101 was too small for my fat fingers.

Wanted to see if anyone has looked at the Arturia Microbrute 2S package vs the Korg MS20 package for moving into modular builds. I like that for 1k you get a rack/power supply, kick ass synth/sequencer in the Microbrute 2s and patch options to connect to Eurorack modules. But the MS 20 is recommended a lot here as well.

Thoughts? I figure can add some exotic VCA/VCO/VCF, clock, slew utilities and couple exotic LFO or synths to the rack.

Ok so I had a chance to finally get my hands on an MS-20 and love it! I had a blast patching it recently. Not crazy about the Microbrute and since I have a Korg SQ-1 for sequencing my Make Noise 0-coast, the MS-20 is on my radar as an affordable patcheable synth to use.

I did find that you need to have the English Tear Module to use for CV between the MS-20 and Eurorack.

Also look at the MFB Tanzbar line- these to me sound amazing for EDM and house/techno drums. I have a Volca Beats and using a friends Elektron MD but rather than buy expensive modular drums have been looking at a Tanzbar unit down the road.

I would rather have something like the MFB Tanzbar or MFB Tanzbar lite than the Roland TR machines but that is just my preference.

Have you considered a packaged modular system like the Phenol or Modulor 114 before dropping 50k into a full blown Eurorack to see if you like patching wires and can get it to work for your workflow?

I too lust after gear but started small with just a Make Noise 0-coast to see if patching is for me before blowing 10-50k in modular gear. You already have tons of gear so maybe a few small modules may work or small modular system like the Make Noise Black and Gold Shared System?

Agree no rush as I am super busy getting up to speed with the Elektron and Nocoast gear. I will keep eyes out for a used deal on MS-20+SQ1

He does have tons of gear in his studio and many computers! I'd love to have a synth cave like this guy.

I just watched the cool video with Alessandro Cortini the synth master from NIN and he has a very expensive impressive cave of gear!

He has tons of Buchla and vintage synths. What would be a good setup for me to get to learn and not go broke to get those sounds? Right now I have an Elektron Octatrack, Elektron Analog 4 and Make Noise 0-coast that do sampling/sequencing and some basic patches. Looking to expand this on a budget that won't cost me a fortune.

Yea the BSP and Keystep and SQ-1 are standby essentials for modular gear no doubt bang for the buck. Ideally I'd want a sequencer and sampler as part of the modular system as I hear they are lot of fun in modular gear!

I would love to try out a Carbon sequencer. For now been busy learning my Octatrack and 0-coast as they pair up well. I can sequencer/sample and mangle both for lot of possible options in a small footprint.

Yeah I want a decent analog portable mixer as space is limited where I live currently.

For sampler/sequencer with modular gear, what models do you like? I have an Elektron Octatrack which is fine since it sampler/sequence 8 tracks over MIDI but no modular connections so I have to use MIDI or convert from CV to audio adapter which is a pain.

what brand of mixer would you shop for on ebay? I like Allen and Heath if used value can be found for a 16 channel mixer.

Yea the mS-20 is solid especially the pure synth version:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/ms_20mkit/

Pair that with my Elektron Analog 4 and Octatrack and the other modular gear and have wacky industrial dirt techno insanity!
I already have a Volca Beats that as you suggested can feed in percussion to the MS-20. I don't want the keyboard version but having trouble finding this pure synth kit. Maybe it is a new product release from Korg?

Anyways been learning my new Elektron gear the A4 and Octatrack as well as 0-coast and they integrate nicely together.

I ran an experiment this weekend: control the 0-coast with the A4, layer FX on top of that from the A4, sample that into the Octatrack and then add slices and resample with dirt from the Octatrack like dark reverb for some madness.

Since the Octatrack has room for 4 devices to connect, that would let me hook up the MS-20 and sample/mangle that.

Ideally I would need an additional sampler/mixer to add for the modular gear.

Cool thanks Lugia yeah I am digging Make Noise so far and amazed what I can get out of just one single tiny box in the 0-coast with a few simple patches and tweaks and very Buchla sounding on a budget so the package would be tons of fun. I think that my next step is to try out these different systems at place like Noise Bug or Perfect Circuit Audio in the near future. I spent most of the weekend trying to figure out how to use Elektron Octatrack to sample and record tracks from my 0-coast, Analog 4, and Volca Beats. It took me a long time to figure this out and I still have a lot to learn but it is powerful box to mangle and record samples for playback and editing without a computer. Here is what I got done:

Since it will take me a good few months at the very least to get the foundations on these three boxes that gives me time to hopefully save up for a full blown modular setup as well as to try some out! I do like the sounds I hear from the Elby Serge type systems as well as Buchla of course. The point about having a Plankton Ants and Koma Field kit to use as supplement voice/texture and mixer is great as well. I think these would be quite an awesome starter setup to modular world and keep me busy for many years and then can always add a few custom racks with a special modules afterwards.

Great idea, Lugia! Ok so another idea- what are your thoughts on the Make Noise Black and Gold System? It has the good modules from Make Noise that can be used later on as well. Also what are your thoughts on the wacky looking cartoonish yellow Endorphins.es package- a good system for industrial techno or no?

Thanks Lugia! Yeah the package at Perfect Circuit Audio has the format changer box I think for the Phenol:

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/kilpatrick-audio-phenol-patchable-analog-synthesizer.html

I am thinking this combined with either the Sound Machines Modulor 114 and Koma Field Kit would be tons of fun to get started with along with the Endorphin.es system. I priced out the cheapest Buchla and cheapest Serge system and the Serge was over 3k and the cheapest Buchla was 5k! So for what just one of the Buchla or Serge cost, I can have 3 portable modular systems and change left over! Then I can think about building a rack from scratch.

Wowzer Lugia you are fountain of Eurorack knowledge! Thanks man for the lesson. Ok, so I finally got my brand spanking new Make Noise 0coast yesterday in the post and went to town learning and trying new patches, it is fun! Now I definitely want to get into modular when new funds permit of course. I actually much prefer the west coast synth over east coast. Of the modules, would you get for a newbie to patching and modular:

Kilpatrick Audio Phenol
Endorphin.es shuttle
Sound Machines Modulor 114
Elby Designs EuroSerge Performance System
Buchla Snoopy LEM

and why? Bear in mind my goal is to crank out dark, dirty, nasty industrial aggro-type German techno like Funker Vogt, Wumpscut, Ministry, Front 242 and NIN. I know that Trent Reznor used Moog but he also used Buchla later on with Alessandro Cortini.

BTW here is me patching the 0coast: