Lugia: absolutely. As I've said above for any of the more basic utility style modules (essentially all the 2hp ones) I'll just pick up whatever I can find for cheap (Lardik & Bastl are great options in this regard). As to where I'll get the space (beyond the 10hp free as is) I'll likely re-sell my least liked favourite few modules. As I don't know what those will be yet I find it more useful to slightly over-spec, but that's just a personal preference. As a minor note I've found cost per utility to be a much more useful metric then $ per hp, as a 4xVCA in 6hp for $300 is more economical then a 2xVCA in 6hp for $200.

Ronin: I've got quite a few issues with your arguments, but thanks for the feedback anyways!
1) The A-100p9 is 10cm deep. There isn't a single module here that cracks 5. This means it's totally fine to have a rats nest of a few flying bus boards and a second smaller power supply, so your issues with depth, enough headers, and power aren't really problems for me.
2) I might be misinterpreting this but "planing for what I want" and disregarding more generally versatile modules is a great way to end up with an $7000 toy, incapable of anything more then some ambient tingles and maybe thoughtless techno. I'm looking, first and foremost, to make a fairly compact and complete tool I can use to produce music, without loosing the instant access to exploration and strange sonic territory modular brings.

Thank you both for your feedback!

Thanks for the advice! I'm not actually planning on getting most of those specific 2hp modules pictured, they more just represent fairly brand-agnostic utility type bits. In the end I'll likely get whatever's small enough to fit that I can find for cheap (eg tiptop drums or somthing), so I don't imagine the knob size will be too much of a problem. As to where I'll get the hp to back this plan (beyond just the 10ish I have here) I'll most likely drop the least used ~15% of modules, only I can't plan for what those will be yet, so, for now 2hp it is. (I also have fairly small fingers so that's all a touch less of an issue for me even if I do go for the full 2hp line I've shown above).

On a broader scale what do ya think of the rack as a whole? I'm looking for something sequencer heavy I can use to record songs in a multitracked fashion, but not entirely useless when untethered either. Does this about cover that in your mind?

Pros: very powerful, many possibilities in terms of cv type stuff

Cons: Not very immediately accessible, hard to get a new sound just by hitting a switch or something, although cv possibility space is massive but soniclly not so much, doesn't seem fun

Case: POCKET CASE 12U 51HP X 2 ROWS

Thread: synth plan

Neutron is standalone