From the description on Instruō's website: "Each independent core is free running with rates configured from fastest to slowest arranged from top to bottom. Each frequency range was tuned by ear during development to give the optimum spread of control frequencies running in parallel. Being 100% analogue, the LFO’s will phase organically with the ability to ebb and flow together with their global frequency control."

-- jletra

Hi Jletra,

Okay perhaps I explained it a bit wrong and you might be right about the above part description. My point however is that you don't have really 8 independent LFOs. Okay they might be "free running" but what is free running in this context? There is just one button for all 8 LFOs to speed them up or to slow them down. If you want to call that free running... okay... however that's not what I understand under free running or at least they are not independent from each other in such way I mean that I can't choose (just as an example), LFO 1, 2, 6 & 8 I want to increase their speed. LFO 3 & 7 should stay at their current speed and LFO 4 & 5 should go a bit slower. That's just not possible with this module, they either all 8 stay the same or all 8 go slower or all 8 go faster. That's what I meant. You might be right that they might have their own independent core but to what use is that to me if I don't want them all 8 go faster (for example)?

I hope it's clearer now. I therefore think this module is more suitable for larger setups and not so ideal for a smaller setup, but that are just my 2 cents :-) Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Maybe it's a semantics thing, but the LFOs in Øchd are indeed independent. BUT, you have only one control to influence their rate.
That's how I understand the description of the module and how I experience it in practice.
It's the same as if you would use one offset signal to modulate the frequency of different LFO modules. Are they free running and independent? Yes. Although now they share one control, that you made yourself! ;)
Of course, your point of lack of control is valid, but in my opinion that's exactly the strength of Øchd, even in a small rack. You have a range of available frequencies and when using the rate CV input with different flavours of modulation, you can really get a lot out of 4 HP. You can have trigger like behaviour, audio rate modulation, and skewed triangle waves, all happening at the same time. Then with a flick of that knob, you're in a completely different territory, or if you switch between two different CV modulation sources...
But then again, it's limited in use without attenuation, so there's that...

Kind regards to you sir!
Jorge

OCHD gives 8 random LFOS for modulation.

-- jdesole

Hi Jdesole,

I don't think that's correct. I own a Øchd and yes it does provide me 8 LFO outputs but they are somehow all related to each other. You have one knob to adjust the speed of the LFO but the outputs are kind of "divided clock outputs" from each other. Or in other words, with an Øchd you don't have 8 independent LFOs, no you have in fact one LFO with eight (8) outputs. So it's great for simple LFO functionality for a large setup but for your case & casing with a rather small setup you should rather look for 2 or 4 independent LFOs (either in one or more modules).

When you get started, start with a bigger rack than you planned (you will not regret that in the near future) and start with a few major modules only, then gain some experience, learn from that and based on that new obtained experience and knowledge you then buy the next small batch of modules and repeat the same thing; in other words don't buy everything in one go.

Good luck with the planning, do some more research and reading and once you get into it, have fun with it :-) Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

I don't think that's correct. They are related to each other in the same way that metronomes in Ligeti's Symphonic Poem are related to each other. Meaning, it you let them run for long enough, you might stumble upon a repeating configuration at some point. From the description on Instruō's website: "Each independent core is free running with rates configured from fastest to slowest arranged from top to bottom. Each frequency range was tuned by ear during development to give the optimum spread of control frequencies running in parallel. Being 100% analogue, the LFO’s will phase organically with the ability to ebb and flow together with their global frequency control."

But this has nothing to do with the OP. You clearly need to research a bit more how some modules work, specially the sequencing ones. It's a big search as there are lots of possibilities and none is perfect, although one might be perfect for YOU. Between interface, functionality, flexibility, amount of channels, etc... it gets quite difficult and you normally don't know how you get along with one until you try it... So I'd take advantage of the 2nd hand market for trying some out! ;)
Regarding that and your 12U project, I remember having read that Pressure Points does not need the Brains expander, if you're pairing it with the 2nd version of René. I might be wrng, but I think that is something that you should research, before you waste money on something you don't need.
As per utilities you do need much more, but their use only becomes apparent when you do start patching and don't have the means to achieve something you're trying to do, IMO. Otherwise its very theoretical and even I didn't get the point of having some I had from the very beginning... But sure enough, things like clock dividers, sequential switches, rectifiers and, in fact, mixing of all sorts, do open all your modules up, as I'm slowly finding out!! :D You need much less big 'guns', if you have the right 'ammunition', I suppose. And those are the utilities.
But they are also, somehow, connected with a kind of patching that lots of people have no interest in apparently, so yeah...
Your build is still very much full of inputs (on the big modules) and almost nothing to send them (as in modulation, event creators/modulators, etc) and even less ways to control how much and how often they are going to be sent (as in, enough VCAs and attenuators/verters). So my advice is to reduce, research and redraw.

I just got this yesterday and I'm floored.... It's so amazing deep, possibilities are endless!
I pulled all sorts of modulation out of this thing, but also made different flavours of kicks, I droned fro two hours, got sequences going....
I don't understand how no one's taking notice of this one, but go bonkers for another flavour of Clouds...

Hi all,

I just got this module, it's the only one until now that I knew I wanted before it was even released.
It's amazingly deep, the interface is stellar as well as the visual feedback on the panel with the different LEDs, the sounds I could pull out of this thing, the sequences, the modulation cycles with variable depth.... Oh man, I could see this one as the center of many patches or even a system!!!
How come no one is taking notice?? (although, Auza Audio have been completely silent in all their online outlets... :( )
Cheers y'all!!

@JimHowell1970
Thanks for chiming in! I’m using the Quadratt and Duatt as modulation mixers, offset and polarizers.
The current case is 7U on the first link, meaning the bottom 3U row is the coming skiff.
They would of course stay in one of the 1U rows in the big system! ;)

I have a switch incoming (and I’m really looking forward to it), when one of the ceis gets to the shop, as they were bought at the same time...

The matrix mixer is something I’m really considering, as it’s such a good way to open up modulation possibilities, as you said! Do you have any preference?

Hey all!! It's been half a year since I started my Eurorack journey and I'm having a blast!!

This is my current rack: ModularGrid Rack

I pair it with some pedals and reverb on my laptop.
I had to take Maths out cause of space unfortunately (:/), but am getting a skiff this week, so it might get a second chance in!!! :)

I've made this other rack 'fantasy', trying to have an imagination of where I want to go in the future and have a possible final iteration! Maths won't be there.... :D Would rather go with Falistri as an alternative. Rings won't be there either.
I want to incorporate lots of field recording, my double bass as acoustic instrument and texture source, some guitar also. The music I want to create ambient, drone, with lots of lo-fi elements, tape degradation sounds, etc.

ModularGrid Rack

The whole system would be in two 7U (104hp) cases, so I also have an idea for the second 1U row with some mosaic modules and I'm sure I'd like to integrate some Ritual Electronics and possibly the Noise Tools and Stereo In and Out from IJ.

So I'd like some pointers on how to go further, please. As in, what should I add to my skiff (104 hp) keeping in mind I'd like mostly to expand on the modulation further. I know I need a sequencer and would like a second filter that should be stereo, apart from the needed modulation and a real mixer.

Thanks in advance y'all!!! :D

Thanks @Lugia for chiming in!

Yeah, since I ever started planning my case, the mixer conundrum stays one of the main PIA... Many options there, but none that really checks all boxes. I'd like to have CV control over panning, stereo Send/Return (2x if possible), a nice interface, not too big... maybe I have build my own!! :D (if I only knew how.)

I know of the Frap Tools new instalment, but adding to the price tag they take quite some space and are still a bit cryptic for me. Knob.farm seems like a good option for the Sends (and would free some space on the 1U row), and with support from another module for some of the functions, could get me nearer the goal. I've checked Vortices and sort of even get it, but that interface is a bit all over the place for me.
Do you have any other combos you know about to help me on that front?

Regarding the 1U row, thanks for taking the time to put that together. I seem to remember reading that the original I/O was bigger and they wanted to give people the choice of having both interfaces or not. Plus you can separate them spacially, that might make sense in some setups!
I thought of adding a Duatt+Vca in there with possibly an LPG also, that would give me some more control over modulation, and to buff it even more, since I ditched the Black Sequencer (for now), I'm considering the Plum Audio 1u version of O&C. It takes quite some space, but I'm hoping I can then combine that with some interesting, crazy, modulation on the 3u space. Would you car to chime in?

The Buffered Mult is there mainly to divide Harmonaigs root (exclusively :D) to other oscillators once the Saïch is there, as that one would take all of them. I'm a classic double bass player in my working hours, so harmony still plays a big part on the sounds I go for. But if you don't think I'd need it and could do with stackables or even those starfish thingies, I would free also that space for something more interesting. Gladly!

Thanks again! I look forward for more input from you and the Jims, Farkas, Garfields, Kels, and some I'm sure forgetting right now! You make this community a lot less poor in their banks and richer in their noodling lives!

Cheers!
Jorge

Hey all! I’m expecting a bash from the knowledgeable people here!! It’ll be most welcome! ;)
(Image sure not reflect current state, I don’t know why)
This is my system right now! It’s great fun and does a lot of what I was hoping, meaning it generates its own tunes to a certain extent, drones for a while and even creates some nice ambience in this dark times!
I want to expand my voices with the Saïch and athru also from Instruō. I’m quite set on those ad next very sexy modules!
I had the Erica Black Sequencer and while it was great fun and incredibly versatile with all that modulation, I decided to let it go and get it when I incorporate a second case and bigger system. I think I’d much prefer something smaller and more ‘performance’ oriented, although I do realize that might be that module... it’s me the one who had to learn it! ;)

Now, I’m searching for some advice on how to expand the pallet of this rack. Specifically, I think I need more modulation!! For effects, I’m using a Zoia and a bunch of other pedals outside the rack, but I’d like to bring them in, specially some creative reverb..
I’m curious what you make of this and very looking forward for the help and feedback I might get!

In the meantime, stay safe!
Cheers

Jorge

Thanks for you answer! I feel confident it's a good step! :)

I unfortunately have no iPad... Is there any equivalent as an app for macOS?

Would you think I should definitely get VCAs in the beginning?
And could give me your thoughts on the Output module? I've also checked Rosie and the Xpan as alternatives, for example. also the Intellijel options...

@Kel_
Thanks for your feedback!
My plan is in line with what you said, sorry if it's not clear!! I would eventually get to the case pictured, not in one go!! HeHe!! :)
Step 1 is, therefore, to get the Cs-L going with Maths, Wogglebug, and the 1U Interfaces Pedal I/O, the I/O in and headphones and Quadratt for extra mix+ attenuverter duties.
The 4ms Mixer+Output should come along also, cause... yeah, output and mixer! Or do you mean another kind of mixer?!

The Arbhar would be there precisely to get some ambient sound mangling, noise, different drone notes, percussion sounds, etc.. So I could create different tapestries above or under which the Cs-L can develop, change and do its magic. Does that make sense?

I'm glad I found a direction, and I'm also glad I asked you guys!! Going slowly and getting to know a couple of modules, before diving right in and be overwhelmed! Difficult, but I'm getting stronger! ;)

@Kel_
@t0b1

Thank you again for your help and sorry it took me a while to get back in here! I've been researching a lot the last couple of weeks, trying to take up as much information as I can and make sense of all the great advice I got from you guys. I also wrote Jason and got around the tutorials for lots of modules that I was (and am) eyeing! :D

With that in mind, I have now what I think will be the beginning of an auspicious project.
I'd start with a couple of elements, namely the main voice. I think the Arbhar would have to be there also, though, it's so deep..!!!
What do you guys think of this version?
Anything that pops out as a major deficit/problem?? Or suggestions that would make more sense??

I've been very often quite lost in the most basic of things, like I/O, Mixing, stereo elements!! The options are immense and so different.
One addition is the Pedal Interface, which I think will be rad since I got some very nice pedals that I use with my e-bass (including an MF 101, Meris Ottobit, and the Swiss army knife of pedals, the ZOIA!)) :)

ModularGrid Rack

I cannot thank you enough!!! What great feedback and advice I'm getting here!!!

Maybe I have to get a bit more concrete on the purpose of this project!... :D
I don't plan on using my Double Bass at all with this case (if that changes in the future, we'll see and then I'll check those nice EF suggestions Kel_!! ;)). One of the things I want to get away from is precisely the constant engagement, attention and activity that my work in the orchestra and practice require!!
I want to build a System where the patch sort of unfolds and let's me slowly tweak and react to what itself wants to be... I hope that makes sense! A sort of lazy music/sound/noise making machine... Mainly atmospherical, ambient, drone...

I always think about the Shared System precisely because of what t0b1 said. It seems like the "perfect" enclosed ecosystem. I see now that that's where Instruo's modules kinda "fall short", since they are not made thinking about that kind of small system, but as pieces of a much bigger (with more MOD sources, etc.) rig.
What if I based my system on the SS but exchanged only small pieces, like the DPO for the CS-l and the Morphagene for the Arbhar? Does that make sense?
And instead of René and Pressure points, I think I would go for another kind of sequencer, like Erica Synths Black Seq coming out soon. Seems like a well thought out multi sided solution to lot's of sequencing and modulation sources.
Also, I thought about waiting for the Euroburo (I have a Zoia Pedal that I use in my electric bass pedalboard) since it seems like one it could really solve lot's of problems, specially in context of a small System like the one I'm planning.
The 1U row on MN Case seems really practical as a in/out, multiple, etc. solution in one single "Module". So that's what inspired my initial post, case I don't want to get MN case, but DIY one, maybe with even more functionality, if possible. But still in that 3Ux3Ux1U format.
I'm very glad I posted this question, so many things are coming out to take into consideration!!! What a great community!! :)

Thanks again all of you!

I cannot thank you enough!!! What great feedback and advice I'm getting here!!!

Maybe I have to get a bit more concrete on the purpose of this project!... :D
I don't plan on using my Double Bass at all with this case (if that changes in the future, we'll see and then I'll check those nice EF suggestions Kel_!! ;)). One of the things I want to get away from is precisely the constant engagement, attention and activity that my work in the orchestra and practice require!!
I want to build a System where the patch sort of unfolds and let's me slowly tweak and react to what itself wants to be... I hope that makes sense! A sort of lazy music/sound/noise making machine... Mainly atmospherical, ambient, drone...

I always think about the Shared System precisely because of what t0b1 said. It seems like the "perfect" enclosed ecosystem. I see now that that's where Instruo's modules kinda "fall short", since they are not made thinking about that kind of small system, but as pieces of a much bigger (with more MOD sources, etc.) rig.
What if I based my system on the SS but exchanged only small pieces, like the DPO for the CS-l and the Morphagene for the Arbhar? Does that make sense?
And instead of René and Pressure points, I think I would go for another kind of sequencer, like Erica Synths Black Seq coming out soon. Seems like a well thought out multi sided solution to lot's of sequencing and modulation sources.
Also, I thought about waiting for the Euroburo (I have a Zoia Pedal that I use in my electric bass pedalboard) since it seems like one it could really solve lot's of problems, specially in context of a small System like the one I'm planning.
The 1U row on MN Case seems really practical as a in/out, multiple, etc. solution in one single "Module". So that's what inspired my initial post, case I don't want to get MN case, but DIY one, maybe with even more functionality, if possible. But still in that 3Ux3Ux1U format.
I'm very glad I posted this question, so many things are coming out to take into consideration!!! What a great community!! :)

Thanks again all of you!

Thanks Lugia for taking the time to answer and your insight!! Much appreciated!! :)

I see what you're saying and although aesthetic is a part of it, it's not the only one!! ;) My project is a "Shared System" but with, as much as possible, Instruo's modules. So, 2x3U rows would be the main space and I though the 1U would be useful for the same reason as the CV Bus in Make Noise's case is.
But I guess Instruo doesn't pack as much functionality in their Modules as MN, so that's where the other options have to come to the rescue. But I see my plan was misdirected!!

If you're so kind, would you point me in the right one for this project?
Thanks in advance, mate!

Hi gals and guys!!
My name is Jorge and I'm a professional bass player, about to take the plunge into Eurorack. You are all culpable also!! :D

I'm planning my first case and started with the idea of getting the Make Noise CV Bus Case, and actually the Shared System as an inspiration, but I want to base it off, as much as I can, Instruo's modules.
But after talking with a friend and listening to his advice, I think I'm more leaning to have a case with 2U rows and the central 1U row to setup like a "HUB" for typical useful stuff, as a Mult, Mixer, Output, etc. for example, instead of the actually MN one.
What would you consider in that central strip, if you were thinking about such solution? I'm searching for inspiration!!
This is my "in progress" case: ModularGrid Rack

Thanks for all your input!!

Jorge