Hi Saramago,

You wrote: Sent a trigger from beatstep to kick, mult it to the doepfer envelope, envelope out to vca but no luck, still a lot of decay.

Hmm, are you splitting many signals from your multiple to the envelope? If yes, is that a buffered multiple? If not, then try a buffered multiple otherwise nothing comes to mind. Which envelope are you using, would that be the A-140(-1)? If yes, if you need a quick response then don't forget to put the switch on the A-140 to M (medium) or even H (high) speed, so the EG can follow your rhythm. Needless to say that the D(ecay) knob should be at 2 or less for your case. The VCA you are using, which one is that?

Good luck with the troubleshooting and kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

Thanks mate !
Will try for sure

ModularGrid Rack

Hey guys, so this is my current eurorack case and im thinking what modules should i go next.

Was thinking about the Shapeshifter but everytime i look and see other opinions everyone says that is a very hard module and very complex . Is it that hard to learn ? I have some elektron boxes , so im a little used to menus . I was thinking ShapeShifter because it is exceeds at FM and wavetable but i allready have a Monomachine so dont want to overlap stuff

Other module could be the Beatbox, 16 channels of samples but i have to get another sequencer for it (have beatstep pro) it only has 8 trigger channels and the other sequence ones i use to sequence Braids, Dixie or Rings .

Thinking also about Warps from MI so i have other kinda of fx unit to mess around with my others VCOs mainly Dixie because is the module i use less

Was thinking also in Plonk, think is gonna bring some nice sound pallete i dont have

Have a 2hp kick , really like is sound but it has allways a lot of decay, can someone please explain to me with the modules i have how to patch so i can cut a lot of decay..? (Sent a trigger from beatstep to kick, mult it to the doepfer envelope, envelope out to vca but no luck, still a lot of decay)

Have some drums in my case but maybe gonna sell them because i allready have Elektron Rytm , so dont want more drums in my rack.

Other machines i have in my studio are Elektrons ,A4, Rytm, Octatrack and Monomachine. Also have a old Korg FM Synth and a MFB Dominion X that is a great synth with a very good sound for basses, leads etc... Has 3 oscillators and accepts cv gate triggers

My kind of music is house, sometimes more Techno or Microhouse

Love my modular modules but dont want to overlap things , so looking for modules that can give me other sound that i dont have

Now because the Coronavirus im not working, so its a great time to get plans and get things working together

Also im not a super modular guy now, have my modular around 1 year so your opinion is well apreciated !

Thanks guys, take care

Hmm very nice !!

Disting don’t like the menu driving but it’s really a super useful model. I always use when I wanna try a module a don’t have .

Does exist a pdf with all the sequencers modes etc like the Disting has ?

I tried to wrap my head around O_C sequencers and the Turing machine mode but I do hate menu diving . But should try again and again

For sequence I have a Beatstep pro and Make Noise Rene .
What I’m looking for is a more generative melodies type so I can record and choose the happy incidents
-- Saramago

The two strategies that I suggested are all about happy accidents. You are influencing the melody rather than creating it. Put in the work and learn the module you already have.

-- Ronin1973

Yes , everytime we buy something we should spend time to learn the machines . Unfortunately I don’t spend as much time as I want but gonna check some more tutorials about the “O_C” Turing machine

I swapped the Rene for the Nerdseq sequencer... and heaven on earth!
Very playable... and much, much more possibilities for musicality.

No menu diving, everything 1 layer deep.
-- jjterbeek

Wow that “Nerd sequencer” looks a lot more complicated but many thanks for the reply :)

I tried to wrap my head around O_C sequencers and the Turing machine mode but I do hate menu diving . But should try again and again

For sequence I have a Beatstep pro and Make Noise Rene .
What I’m looking for is a more generative melodies type so I can record and choose the happy incidents

Thanks for helping me :)

I will do all this exemples as soon as I go to the studio .. gonna get 2 days off work

So much to learn, so little time !!

Hi guys, well buying , buying stuff and now finally have my Eurorack case complete but as i am a little rookie here i am struggling to make some melodies and need some patch advice .

I do Techno and more minimal music

Also have a Beatstep pro that i use to start a session and its ok but i also need advice to make some nice movement etc. Dont get me wrong i have lfos etc and i patch it but sometimes its not very smooth

cheers

ModularGrid Rack

Yes yes, I have to try first ... but yeah they are very tiny .

Hi Saramago,

How about Doepfer A-140 ADSR? Simple but good and inexpensive. Once you build up experience with that one you can decide for yourself what you like to have for your second, third, etc. ADSR.

There are hundreds of envelope modules so difficult to recommend you a right one, therefore I think the Doepfer A-140 is a good start or consider to check the major brands, most of them have at least one envelope.

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

That’s what I will do :)

I was checking Doepfer new Slim line but no ADSR. Maybe a 2hp will b nice and doesnt take a lot of space

The ADSR sounds like a good suggestion.

Other than that, you have a LOT of stuff to explore. I would sit down with each module for a day to a week, and mess around with it, and read the manual. See how each plays with the others in the rack. You will learn a lot, and you will figure out which modules need to be moved.

Commit to doing that with at least half of your modules (the ones you don't completely understand) before you buy any more stuff - feel free to research other modules, but don't buy them immediately.. Then your next purchases will be much better informed.
-- naught101

I see.. Any ADSR recomendation ?

Also the fact I have all VCAs the right side of rack is because they can reach the line ins to my mixer that is right side next to that eurorack case .

I forgot to mention I would like to buy a shapeshifter to that rack too. I really dig the sound it can produce but I’m getting out HP space

Many thanks for the reply :)

Well yes I read that because of the passive mults but it was a rookie error . I buyed then before I read a lot of that stuff . Grrr

Well about the stereo moduls I have a soundcraft MTK 22 mixer to rec to Ableton all in mono (maybe I should rec in stereo) from the VCAs out . (I really don’t know yet how to use them the right way.

Ok so I should get some ADSR right ? :)

Yes , ergonomics I should put this in a different way, and many thanks for your time thinking about redistribution my modules in a more efficient way

thanks again :=)

Many thanks mr.Ronin1973

Hi guys, well yet a noobie in this eurorack world .
Building my rack and now I’m at the final stage so I need some pro advice before I run out HPs .

I do mostly house/tech and minimal stuff

What do u guys think I could be missing ?

Cheers

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view