Thanks Mark!

Really useful info. Indeed the maths and O-coast have come up in various threads I've read and I do like the look of them for sure.

As a core first noise maker, I'm sort of between the O-Coast and the Dreadbox Erebus V3.

I come from an drone/ambient and noise background and either of these seem like plenty to get me started for sure. Anyone have any experience with the Erebus??

Hi Lugia!

Thanks for your input! Have decided I'll probably go with the Mother 32 to get my head around basic signal flows and what each module does/ works with other modules and in time begin forming a rack of my own.

Want to thank everyone for their help, I've been a student of music and sound for half my life but only started my journey into modules so appreciate hearing from those more learned than myself :)

Hi there! Thanks so much for the swift reply!

That's really useful insight, thanks so much!

The book, is already on it's way :)

Hi everyone!

First of all, I just want to say I'm really excited about getting started on my journey with module synthesis. I've had plenty of experience with softwar synthase and midi of the years and am reading everything I can to understand the science going in.

However, where I'm falling a little uncertain is where to start with a physical unit. Should I buy a semi-modular (Mother 32 etc) or just dive straight in and buy some modules (cheaper side to start out) ?

My gut says go semi-modular until I find out WHAT I want my synth to do etc and then start building but I'd appreciate advice from the seasoned synth-meisters! :)

Cheers and looking forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Oli