I was wondering if there is a modern alternative to Intellijel's Shapeshifter. It's a very deep, capable and feature full module but it has quite few years already and I guess something newer has been put out already. can you suggest something similar in regards of its features and size?

Yes, with more specific terms, the results are a bit better. It still gets confused at times, if you tell it to start with sound sources, it may add Maths, which is correct because it can be used as a sound source, so it is better to specify VCOs instead of sound sources.

I also find it interesting when asking for module alternatives. So if a module has been discontinued, it can suggest some replacements for it, which can be useful and save time browsing thousands of modules looking for alternatives.

ModularGrid Rack

I asked ChatGPT to build a rack for ambient music and layout the modules in a way that makes sense for this kind of music.

It seems to get confused with the module sizes, it would say Clouds is 60hp and then say it's 10hp instead, so this layout doesn't match exactly the one ChatGPT suggested. The original rack had six rows and a lot of empty spaces, which is probably a good idea anyway. I limited it to four rows, other than that, I kept the original order.

The ChatGPT training data goes up to 2021, so it doesn't have any knowledge about newer modules. Aside from that, the rack contains many effect modules, which would make sense for ambient music, but it also has some odd choices. I would have never thought of the Atlantis for this kind of rack, and on the other hand, it seems to lack on the VCA and mixer fronts.

I also asked for some patch examples, as some Redit users are reporting having success with that, but it seems to get confused easily and tells me to send signals to the clock inputs on modules that don't have clock inputs or to send an input from one module to the output of another.

Just as it does with any other topic, it seems to make sense at first, it seems legit, but on closer inspection, it's all wrong. And yet, as crazy as it is, it may be worth asking ChaGPT when looking for new ideas, as some of the replies can lead to out-of-the-box thinking. Kind of like Eno's oblique strategies.

I haven't bothered much about panel colors so far, but what somehow bothers me more than the panel colors is the way each module looks so different from the other.

Even if you get all black modules, they still look different in style. Some have a shiny finish, while others are simply matte black; some appear "blacker" than others; some panels appear clean and minimalistic, while others appear busy and a little crazy; then you have gold on black and white on black trends too; don't even get started with knobs, as they come in all sizes and colors too.

Eurorack looks busy and intimidating, and I totally understand those who replace the original panels and knobs to make the instrument look homogenous, more clear, and more approachable. Maybe going all-in on black panels is a way to bring some order to this madness.

I'm very happy with the Zadar.
-- Arrandan

In fact, I'm replacing the Zadar with the new envelope generator. Zadar is a fantastic module, but I'm only using it for envelopes, and most of the waveforms are unused, so I'm trying to simplify things a bit. I would also prefer to have knobs for each channel, instead of just sharing a set of knobs, so I can easily see and modify the attack and decay settings.

I guess I'm not a huge fan of menu diving, and the way I'm using Zadar is to set it up and forget about it, as I find it a bit inconvenient for quickly changing things on the fly. Lately I find myself using the "Make Noise Function" much more, so I want to try and add more envelope generators in that vein.

Other than that, the Zadar is a great module with small footprint, and I think is perfect for long evolving modulations.

Without VCA's but with 6 AD EG channels, and can act like LFO's, Slew limiters and AD EG
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract-modular-selam
-- ferranadsr

Looks good, and the price is more than affordable too, I will check it out, thanks.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/klavis-quadigy
-- toodee

A powerhouse indeed. I'm not sold on menu based modules and I would rather use a simple interface with no menu diving. I'll check it out anyway and see if it fits my needs, thanks for the suggestion.

Check out the Doepfer Dual Micro ADSR. 8 hp with 4 outputs and it's well priced
-- padmasan

Doepfer's "mini" modules are quite cool, I bought an A-138n mixer some time ago and I'm more than happy with it. It doesn't take much space, is well priced and works flawlessly. I'll definitively check this ADSR out, thanks.

I'm looking for some envelope generators to pair with the Itenllijel Quad VCA I already own.

My initial idea was to get the Intelijjel Quadrax with the Qx expander for added outputs. However, it turns out that the price is much higher than the one listed in MG, and I'm now considering different options.

For the price the Quadrax would cost me, I could add a couple of Cosmotronic Delta-V function generators instead, which in turn would also provide some extra VCAs.

On the cheaper side, the Hikari Instruments Triple AD is quite interesting too, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere in Europe, and having it shipped from Japan will probably add to the price. The Nano Modules Quart is also looking good, though neither of those would provide additional outputs.

And just recently, I discovered the After Later Audio QARV, which is quite large at 20HP, but includes four function generators and VCAs plus a mixer. The price for this one looks incredibly good too, and it would probably allow me to get rid of the Quad VCA or at least use it for other duties.

Do you guys have any opinion on those modules? I already own some modules from Intellijel and Nano Modules, and I like both the build quality and user interface, but I've never used anything from Hikari or After Later. Are there any other options I'm overlooking? Maybe you can suggest some other alternatives.

It's been a while since I've shared something here, and I was a bit hesitant to share this one because even if all the sounds are from the modular, my workflow has been leaning towards the DAW. I record samples or even full jams from the modular and then just copy/paste the parts I like the most.

Being a hobbyist, when I started with the modular I didn't really have a musical style or an idea of what I wanted to create with it. I think going with the DAW helped me define the kind of music I want to make without having to deal with the limitations of my current setup. 

The next step will be to figure out how to do everything on the modular and stop using the computer. I've been thinking about getting a bitbox micro or even an octatrack. That way my workflow could still be sample based and I wouldn't need a huge modular system.

Then there are some tricks I like doing, like the break at 2:13, where I mute six tracks at once and I bring a new one in. I still haven't figured out how to do that with the modular, probably with a bunch of mutes and switches, but I still have to think about it and see what approach works best for me.

Most of the sounds are from the MI Plaits. I've also used the Crossfold Antimatter a lot here. It is a fantastic module and I've used it in all my patches since I purchased it. The final arrangement, EQ and compression was done in Ableton Live.

I love it, sounds super clean. I guess the drums are samples from the squid salmple, I love that kick, how are you sequencing it?

As for gear, use filters and EQs, so when particular bands of frequencies stars to clash you can start carving. Don't be afraid of cutting low end, nor high ends. Let pass only what is "beautiful", instead of boosting.

-- dadodetres

Thanks for the wonderful advice. In fact I was wondering about filters use in drones, most of the time the talk seems to be about oscillators and tuning, which I get is the most important part for drones, but not that much about filters. In fact, I've been trying out some of the techniques proposed so far and I'm enjoying a lot using the LR4 Crossover, I just send each output to different parts of the system and turning a knob introduces interesting changes.

Still not speaking drone, but many good ideas in this thread and lots of inspiration.

We can refer here to the music of bagpipes (wind sounds), Ravi Shankar (string sounds), and the historical works of La Monte Young (‘Trio for Strings’) who is one of Eno's references.
-- Sweelinck

I used to listen a lot of Ravi Shankar and never thought of it as drone music, but I guess you're right and it sometimes get's into drone territory, I'll check out his works again, I enjoyed them a lot at the time. Right now I'm listening to La Monte Young and it sounds superb, thanks for the reference! I've never heard of him before.

The E352 Cloud Terrarium seems to be popular for drones, I have seen it mentioned several times in that context. What is it that makes it so good for drones? I'll try out Lugia's tips, a couple of VCOs and an LFO sounds easy enough, I'll see what I can get out of it.

I use my modular mostly for techno, just drop a kick and almost everything goes. But when I try to create drones all I get is dull and absolutely boring tracks. I just don't know how to approach droning and I realised I really don't know what makes a good drone.

So, what makes a good drone? how many VCOs do you use? how do you tune or detune them, what about filters and effects? what are your patching tips and tricks? can you share some drones, made by you or other artists, that can be used as examples/inspiration?

Looking forward to improving my drone skills.

I couldn't find DeoxIT in my local store either and looking at the distribution page it doesn't seem to be available in my country. However, searching on Amazon the DeoxIT D100S-2 seems to be available and I guess it would do the work too, so probably ordering it even though is much more expensive than the wd-40.

For cleaning — DeoxIT
https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

-- cmb_

"Rejuvenator and protector". I may use that one on myself instead

It seems like my modular gets covered in dust easily, so I've two questions you guys surely can help with.

Due to the dust a couple of modules have developed scratchy knobs, usually fully moving the knobs back and forth solves the problem, but lately the scratch seems to persist in one of the knobs and I'm not sure how to fix it. It seems like I need to clean it with "air spray", do I need to fully remove the front panel of the module before blowing the air or is it ok to just remove the plastic knob? Is there any other/better way to get rid of the scratchy knobs?

And then, how do you keep dust away from your modular? some cases have a cover like a suitcase, which I guess helps a lot keeping the modular clean, but other cases don't. Do you cover your modular in some way? or how do you keep your modular dust free? So far I've been cleaning mine with a brush, but some of the dust always seems to find it's way into the knobs and sliders.

Oh yes! I loved last year's compilation, can't wait to get the 2021 one. I'll be sending my track right away!

Thanks Lugia, it's clearer now. I think I was confused by the fact that the Focusrite has also midi in and out, which I use to sync the desktop synth. The ES-8 doesn't have midi ports unless connected to some expanders, so basically with the ES-8 I would also need a module for midi. I guess I'll stick with the Focusrite for now.

I've been looking at the ES-8 as a replacement for my Focusrite, it seems more convenient to have the audio interface in the rack to save some space on the desk and move easily from one place to another, also sending CV from the computer to the modular would be a plus. However, I'm not sure how this module would work.

What I need is a way to sync and multi-track both external and modular gear with Ableton Live. Right now I'm doing that with a Focusrite audio interface, I just connect the external gear and the modular to the Focusrite inputs, connect it to the computer via USB and listen the main output with the Focusrite headphones or monitor outputs.

As I understand, the ES-8 could be connected to the computer via usb and that would allow me to sync the clock and multi-track from the 4 inputs. What I don't know is if I could use the ES-8 inputs for external gear too or if it works at modular levels only. Also, I'm not sure how I would listen to the main output, can a couple of the outputs on the ES-8 be used for that purpose? can the monitors be connected directly to that outputs? otherwise I could send the main lines to the MakeNoise XOH and use the headphones / line out from there, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Hey baltergeist,

This is fantastic, I liked both tracks a lot. Really interesting and experimental.

Keep up the good work and don't forget to share it with us :)

I've been listening some binaural recordings for the last couple of weeks and it got me interested. Browsing the internet for information on mics I landed on the Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset which seem to be discounted at 50€ at the moment.

It seems like it works with iOS devices only, but since Bietfriek mentioned the iOS apps I guess this could also be an option, and for that price I'm considering getting a pair myself. I'm not sure what are the advantages of using a recording device instead of a smartphone with this kind of mics, maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a good place to start experimenting with field recording.

Thank for listening wishbonebrewery :)

Ah yes, it seems like the club first opened in the 80s, so yeah, it might be that one :)

Thanks for listening!

It's been a while since I last recorded a track, this one was a lot of fun and I though I would share it here :)

A lot of what's going on is modulated by hand, like the wet/dry in the effects or the cut-off in both the filter and the 303. This hand modulation thing was pretty much inspired by Blawan, who seems to do everything by hand instead of using cv.

The 303 is from a Behringer td-303, if I recorded it again I would probably use less resonance though. The original recording was 8 minutes long but I removed the intro as it wasn't really interesting. To record it I multi-tracked into ableton live and arranged the parts I liked the most, I also added a bit of compression.

By the way, Star Club Kaoos was a pretty cool club in Ibiza during the '90s. It was then rebranded as Eden which is still one of the most popular clubs in the island.

Hi jorik,

I use the Minibrute 2S to sequence my eurorack VCOs all the time, and I love it. Also the velocity and pressure tracks can be used for pitch and gates too, which is a plus. I wouldn't rush to buy a sequencer until I knew all the ins and outs of the Minibrute, it's a pretty cool machine.

Hi Mog00,

This track is fantastic, it has a kind of jazzy vibe that I love. Looking forward for more.

Thanks for sharing.

Thread: Happy Easter

Cool track Jingo,

I'm also loving that kick and the resonance sweeps!

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't tried it, but if allflesh works it may be an interesting way of adding interactivity to any module you already own.

Hahaha yes, it seems like I got too excited with the crossfaders! I'll try removing some, thanks for pointing that out.

I wasn't totally sold out on the Varigate 4+ and that link certainly helps. I'll give it another thought, but maybe it would be a good idea going with an external sequencer instead.

Regarding the voices, would I be ok with four VCOs or do you think it would work better if I replaced two of them for a complex oscillator? something like the DPO maybe?

Thanks for your feedback, I definitively need to work a bit more on this rack.

Oh yes, it would help making the rack public, of course

There you go, the rack:

ModularGrid Rack

As you see I was planning to use the Varigate 4+ as a sequencer.

The idea of this rack is to have a small modular system which I can use for bassline + one or two melodies. I may also use it for drones and textures and it would be paired with an external drum machine.

I've been thinking of a system with two complex voices or up to four simpler voices, which I would use to produce slow techno / dub techno and to allow the exploration of more ambient / drone territories.

I also tried to use as many of the modules I already own, that's why I'm using a 6U rack instead of a larger case too. From the modules I own there are a couple I wouldn't mind replacing as I'll probably sell them at some point anyway, the plaits and the zadar.

Plaits is a fantastic module and can produce a wide range of sounds, but working with it sometimes feels like going through presets instead of creating something new from scratch, I find much more enjoyable using analog VCOs. Something similar with the zadar, great module with tons of functionality built in, but I've learnt that menu-diving doesn't suit my workflow.

So this is my current rack, which is currently paired with a minibrute 2s.

ModularGrid Rack

And this is what I've been thinking to do, this one would be standalone and not using the minibrute, just a desktop drum machine:

ModularGrid Rack

Is there enough modulation? do I need more VCAs? Would this work for my goal? can it be improved?

Yes, learning the basics is in my roadmap, I'll check it out. Thanks!

I have one of the intelligel's µVCF and I'm more than happy with it. It's 6hp and comes at a reasonable price, though it's a 2-pole filter and may not have the character of some of the filters already suggested, it can show some attitude too with FM and self-patching.

Yes, this is superb!

Thanks a lot, I'll check them out.

I'm struggling a lot with the mixing and mastering part of the process and I think hiring a professional mixing / mastering engineer will help me get a better sound for my tracks and learn something on the way.

Can you guys recommend someone? and how much should I expect to pay for the mixing and mastering?

Thanks troux!

Thread: Latest Work

Beautiful and strange, well done!

Hey GarfieldModular,

Yeah, for me mixing the drums is one of the most difficult parts of making a track like this one too, sometimes it doesn't quite cut through the mix or lacks energy. With the drumbrute impact it seems like the kick goes deep into the lower frequencies, so I had to eq it a bit and add a some side-chaining, that seems to help.

Thanks for your kind words.

I didn't have much time to practice the modular this month but I wanted to put something together before the month was off.

The bass is from the minibrute 2s and drums from the drumbrute impact. The melodic elements are from plaits. I was short on VCOs so I used one channel of the Zadar for that one duty, I guess you can listen to it better kind of droning around minute 3:40.

Everything was multi-tracked to ableton live for the final arrangement.

This is fantastic, you have a very unique style @mowse! I love the arppegios and filter sweeps, that bass hit is killer too. Well done!

It amazes me the wide range of sounds the DFMA is capable of. Well done, this is a great set, it is fun, groovy and danceable!

I'm five minutes in and already loving it, very trippy. Thanks for sharing!

Thread: Chainsaw jam

Really nice track troux! I'm enjoying it a lot, thanks for sharing!

This is a great track mowse, I've tried many times to do something like that and it seems like something impossible, I'm not sure how are you doing it but it's fantastic, and I love that dog too!!

Thanks for sharing brunomolteni!
I'm considering getting the Instruo Ts-l, it sounds really nice and its waveshaper seems very versatile.
Also, that stages with the black panel is rad, cool setup!

This one was recorded live in one take, the original one lasted something around 20 minutes so I removed the boring parts with less variations and left almost 10 minutes.

The bassline is from the minibrite 2s, drums are drumbrute impact and the rest is from plaits.

That's a fantastic track Jingo with some great ambient / trance sounds indeed, well done!

That's a groovy one, well done!

The Metron seems like a beast for live performances, a really interesting module for drum sequences.

Thank you @troux, this is pretty cool! Great job everyone!

What a beautiful track @jingo, well done!

Thanks for sharing.