Thread: Finishing up

GarfieldModular - Thanks for the reply. Here's the image as a link (i hope).

ModularGrid Rack

I already have the modules shown. I make my own cases so the cost is limited to hardware and PSU. My next case will definitely have a 1U row.

I agree 100% with your ADSR comment. I actually forgot that was one of the next modules I intended to buy. Do you think something like the MI Stages could serve as an envelope generator while taking over some sequencing if I omit the Metropolis? The Metropolis is huge but I felt it would increase the "playability" of the rack. There's plenty of smaller sequencers, though.

I thought a third filter would be too much for two rows. Glad to be wrong. The Jove System 80 filter sounds great...or maybe a ladder filter.

Any recommendations on "must have" envelope generators (besides Maths) or filters I could check out?

Thread: Finishing up

alt text

I plan on finishing this system with a Metropolis, Malekko SND/RTN (to compensate for lack of effect modules), two Mixups (cheap mixers that can mute), and a Tiptop Audio One. That leaves 4 HP.

I'd really appreciate any comments on things I may have overlooked or modules that would be more useful than the ones proposed above. I'll be adding more rows in the future, but until then, I'd like to know I have an effective "core system." Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into some of these suggestions.

It isn't a constant hum unless you mean that it's constantly making noise. The sound changes accordingly when I select low, mid, high or when I turn the frequency range knob. All while the module isn't patched. Would a power conditioner like the Ebtech Hum X relieve the problem at all?

I can hear the four LFOs cycling through my amp when the module isn't patched. Unfortunately, it's pretty loud. This seems to be a common problem with LFOs in general when the rack is plugged into older, ungrounded electrical systems like mine. The signal noise disappears when I unplug the LFO from the PSU.

I assume the noise would go away if the outlet were grounded; and, eventually, I may ground that specific outlet. Until then, are there any practical ways I could at least dampen that unwanted signal? Thanks.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_853360.jpg

My rack currently looks like the images above. Instead of the Mixology, I think I'm going to add the Mixup to save space (maybe 2).

A few more questions...

I need an additional sound source. Given my current setup, would I get more use out of something like the A-110-6, or something less traditional like the BIA? I definitely like the drum sounds you can get out of the BIA.

I'd also like to get an additional, small sequencer. The Tirana seems to be well reviewed. What are people's thoughts on this module in terms of what it delivers for its size?

The rest of the space will probably get filled with another envelope generator, clock source, external input (for pedals) and maybe a Disting. Are there any misc. modules that are particularly useful just to fill out the case? Maybe a 2hp Arp? Thanks folks.

The 7U looks useful, but I've already built a 6U 104 HP case. It wouldn't be difficult to modify if I really felt the need to do so, though. I'm definitely going to sink an unhealthy amount of money into effects at some point. Right now I have to get operational. I can raid my pedalboard in the meantime. Here is my updated layout:

alt text

The Metropolis has been temporarily ejected due to cost constraints. I can use outboard sequencers. The Mixology is in there as a placeholder. I'm still researching options. Any recommendations on a simple, cost effective waveshaper? I know I still need a ring mod, too. Thanks.

Great feedback. I see what you mean re: primary function vs. secondary/complementary function. The MG function search might have been adding to my confusion a bit, too. I'll check out some videos of the Mixology. Thanks.

I thought a lot of the functions you note under #4 were being taken care of by the Maths, Disting, Plaits, etc. Are you suggesting I need more than one module to address these functions in the same way that a system needs multiple VCOs; or, are you suggesting that I need modules that are more focused on providing that specific function? For example, the Plaits provides a noise source; so, do I need maybe an A-118 in addition to Plaits?

Can a buffered multi be used as a passive multi?

Any recommendations on a pannable stereo mixer module that would work well with the Pittsburgh?

Thanks.

I'd like to get some input please. I've already purchased the top row of modules. The second row is what I'm looking at to expand my system so I can start learning general synthesis techniques.

alt text

Most of these choices are based on the comments made on previous threads. But I can see where that would be dangerous given the high variability of functions between modules. Obviously, I'd like to avoid unnecessary duplication and modules that are too niche for a beginner setup. So, the bottom row is sort of a usual suspects lineup. The empty space is reserved for more specialized modules I can purchase after I start to figure out how this thing works. What would you guys add or subtract? Thanks.