Fourth

Hi Gabor,

Wow, that's a nice and cool track, very interesting to listen at! This video view over your rack is beautifully done too! One can really see almost everything, seeing what you are doing, enjoying the view.

An overall very nice video serving beautiful sounds, this catapults me in the weekend, thanks a lot for sharing this! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Senor-Bling,

I need more time to get that all sorted ;-) So many nice things to check, so less time...

Thanks a lot for the hint and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: Techno Jam

Hi Sacguy71,

Great jam! If you and other members continue like this I will be soon a Techno fan ;-)

Plaits is a nice module, I am very happy with it and it can do from semi-normal sounds to the more less common but interesting sounds, up to the user "where the sound should go". Do you have already a Marbles (Mutable Instruments) module? Perhaps that would be a nice addition to your setup? For me Marbles is on my wish list.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Great stuff and thanks a lot for this demo, I wasn't so much aware of the Doepfer - A-171-2 module. You make me a good appetite for that module with your video :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Ha, ha, yes, looks like you had a lot of fun and enjoyed it :-) Nice stuff hey, that modular synth stuff? :-) Sounded to me that near the end you opened all the "registers" (Dutch saying, meaning opening all full) and went full for it, sounded like even more fun!

So how is your (large) case choice decision going, already made a choice or are you still considering and checking all the options?

Enjoy modular, thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Baltergeist,

Oh that's beautifully done! Odd or not, modular or not, this is nice and so subtle... yes, wow, I am impressed!

And wooowwwwwww that sound almost at the end that burns in half deep there, great :-D

Thanks a lot for sharing this (I didn't feel it was odd at all) and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

He, he, either you got a clocking issue or you "stretched" your jam from 2 into 3 minutes ;-)

Just teasing you, great jam, it's always nice to see you at work, particularly for me because you have quite a few modules of which I only can dream of :-)

Nice and thanks a lot for sharing this, kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Lugia,

Oh that's great news this miRack idea. I always was considering a iPadPro... sitting on the sofa playing around with your virtual rack comes now through

Thanks a lot for pointing this out and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi JimHowell1970,

I am curious about your experiences with the Tesseract Modular Fader Step once you received it.

Ha, ha, yes, I have the same feeling/experience with Metropolis, I tested it at my local dealer, liked it but indeed so far haven't bought it. It's the steep price I guess and not sure for that price if one gets enough (i.e. doubting the price/performance).

Please keep us updated once you receive the Fader Step. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Oh wow! That's beautifully done, keeping the tension there, very subtle here and there an extra sound but keeping it nice and slowly, perfectly under control by not letting it getting out of hand.

This could just run away for me from a good A or excellent B class movie, nice work here! Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mowse,

Now let us be honest here! Who needs Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Klaus Schulze and the whole lot if we got you?! :-D

I just can't wait for the virus to disappear and that open air concerts are allowed again. Break that record of J.M. Jarre with the most visitors at a live concert, you can do that! :-D

Great stuff again, I start recognising not only that typical Moog sound you are using here but your own style as well, the combination of these two is very likeable. Keep the good stuff coming!

Thank you very much for sharing this and I look forward in seeing your first concert! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mikeleebirds,

Thanks a lot for the extensive provided information!

Looks to me like Vector (already mentioned by Jingo) is a (very) good sequencer, if an arpeggiator will be added then that's even better.

Is it a good combination to use the Vector more for the "melody" line and let the Hermod more focussing on the percussion and drum?

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Ivolvanov,

Yeah, another exciting track from you, great! :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: experiment3

Hi Mog00,

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation! How are you getting along with the Squarp - Pyramid? Now with just releasing the Pyramid Mk 3, would you say that's worth the investment and better than Hermod?

Thank you very much and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mikeleebirds,

Wow, nice setup! I recognise a few things I consider or have already: the ALC - Sinfonion, nice one :-) (the only one I got so far). The Five12, which I reconsider again and the Hermod. Where do you mainly use the Hermod for, if I may ask?

By the way, what's that aluminium... "control board" with those 16*8 buttons or pads? Looks kind of interesting, self-made sequencer or a DAW controller?

Hi EroGumby,

Looks (or more accurate: it heard) like you had a great jam day today ;-) You got a lot of funny and interesting sounds in your both jams; I like that, gives me that kind of happy and feel good feeling. The topper for me is the first jam!

Thread: experiment3

Hi Mog00,

I agree here with The-Erc, very nice track and it makes me curious too, in how did you made this?

Ha, ha, that "rough" sound near the end is cool, lots of distortion? :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: Friday Jam

Hi Sacguy71,

Nice jam and interesting video. I love that main sound you have in there!

Sounds like a good start of the weekend ;-) Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Jingo,

Thank you for that link on Muffwiggler. Also there, there is no real good answer to the "perfect" sequencer, though the Five12 has been recommended there too, was that you? :-)

Another sequencer, non-modular, to consider is the Deluge from Synthstrom Audible, pity though that one can't try that out at a dealer because it's direct sales from New Zealand only... Do you have perhaps experience with this one?

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Jingo,

Weird, I thought I replied you yesterday regarding this but I can't find my own reply back...

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, I did download the Metron manual (of course) and read it a few times but I don't think it mentions anything about running backwards or randomly, very weird, in my opinion every sequencer should have that. I miss that on the Elektron sequencers too, it only can go forwards...

Since it's so difficult to find the "perfect" sequencer, meaning for me a sequencer that has at least 3 channels and 8 (or more) triggers in one sequencer, I consider now to split this requirement in two sequencers, one for at least 3 channels then and one for at least 8 triggers. Makes it more expensive and it requires most likely more HP space... I don't see any other way of solving the problem. Unless Ground Control will be released of course, I give it till end of October.

So for the 3 channels I might consider the Five12 - Vector then again, since that one can go up to 6 channels if I am not mistaken.

For the triggers I am not sure yet, hesitating between a few modules, some of those I consider are: Squarp - Hermod, Winter Modular - Eloquencer, and perhaps one or two more.

Edit: Oh my goodness, only now I realised this post reached page 2, that's why I didn't found back my reply... :-(

Thread: experiment2

Hi Mog00,

Ha, ha, this was funny (for me to experience I mean). I was listening at the album "Tank" of Kreidler when I stopped listening at this Tank album and wanted to listen at your music, while doing so, for some weird reason I totally forgot I was listening at your music and in my mind I was just listening at Tank music from Kreidler, but it was your music! Very weird, your track here can fit just very well into that Tank album of Kreidler.

So in other words, fantastic track! Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Here check this website from Doepfer:

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

That shows you all the available cases, of course the monster cases are less suitable for your weekly weekend to the beach or something like that but they offer a good affordable space. Well "affordable"... more affordable than other brands, let's put it like that ;-)

If you are going to buy an MDLR case then please let us know your experience with it, once you got one.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: This above link doesn't go there where I want it to go ;-) So once clicked on that link then on top on "Products" and then on "Housings overview".

Hi Sacguy71,

Well the concept of Doepfer cases is a bit different, that's why you can't lay them down. You can lay it down but you might not like the power plug make it "wobbly" ;-)

The idea instead is to use A-100LMB base case first (that gives you a half-laying/half-standing case) and on top of that you add a standing monster case.

I don't have an MDLR case, I was considering one however the power supply specifications aren't as good as those of Doepfer and the MDLR cases are more expensive on a per HP base than the Doepfer monster cases. I am actually (very) happy with the Doepfer (monster) cases, they provide some nice affordable space and are deep enough for most of the modules in the market.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Miroslav,

I had the bigger brother Doepfer - A-190-5 and had enormously problems with understanding that module, so perhaps you have a similar issue with the A-190-4. I love to work with Doepfer's modules except these A-190-x series...

I also had connectivity problems, one of my problems was the MIDI channel setting with this A-190-4/5 module, so check if your MIDI channel settings are correct otherwise dig the manual again and read through it again. I had done that many times and barely could fix the problems. I exchanged the Doepfer module with a Vermona - qMI 2, so much better and logical than the Doepfer one.

Good luck with the troubleshooting and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Broken-Form,

Wow that's a fast decision :-) Please let us know how your experience is with the Hermod. It's one of the candidates that I consider too.

Good luck, have fun with it and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mog00,

Oh wow! That's beautiful and magical at the same time. Those sounds that keeps coming have all those gone through that I-047 filter from Instruo? Sounds indeed like a lovely filter!

Nice modulation experiment! Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hey Jingo,

Good to hear that you are happy with your Drum Sequencer from Erica Synths and pity Erica Synths still haven't released their Black Sequencer; most likely same or similar issues as Endorphin.es with their Ground Control.

Worst case scenario that I see is that I have to let go the idea of getting one sequencer that has many channels (3 or more) and 8 (or more) triggers. Perhaps I have to split that into two sequencers, one for the full channels and one for the triggers. That makes it most likely more expensive and it might take more HP space but perhaps it's then easier to get to a perfect "sequencer combination" ;-)

Thanks for checking out the manual of the Metron, I went already through it, several times now but I can't find anything related to different running direction modes... pity otherwise beside the Five12 that might have been a nice sequencer too...

While waiting for Ground Control and the Black Sequencer, I can check on that sequencer "split idea".

Thanks for your help and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi The-Erc,

Now we are talking! This is a fantastic track, really. Starting with that great kick sound and then every once and a while you throw in another nice, interesting and by times a beautiful sound as well. Large variation keeps the listener left amazed in his/her chair, jaw dropped open, just not believing one can add so much great variation in just one single track.

As you might know, Techno is not particularly my cup of tea, though this sounds like kind of Techno to me, thus if this is a new-style Techno, then I will be soon a serious Techno fan ;-)

Very well done, I hope you stay healthy and I "hearing" forwards for your next superb track! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

The WMD - Metron with extension modules Axxent and minimum of two Volteras might be indeed a nice sequencer too but bloody expensive and in the manual of Metron I can't find any information about if that sequencer can do running other than forwards, I would expect from a modern sequencer at least backwards and random as well and if possible a ping-pong run too.

Any member has a Metron who can confirm about those running direction modes?

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Cameliamusic,

Welcome to modular! I don't think I have seen it yet, so generally I would like you to advise not to buy everything at once. Start with a few main modules, gain some experience with them and then slowly by a few more, build up some more experience with them, and keep repeating till you either reached your target plan or till your bank account is zero ;-)

Many members have provided you already with some excellent comments, so there is not much to add other than the above remark.

Good luck, have fun with modular and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

Edit: Removed typo.

Hey Jingo,

Ah, you are using the drum sequencer from... Erica Synths? Happy with that one?

It's a pity that the Vector doesn't support more than 4 drums (I still don't understand why the Jack Expander offers 8 triggers if one only can use up to 4 drums, bit weird in my opinion), that puts me a bit off to be honest. That's really a pity because I thought I found in Five12 the perfect sequencer :-(

Yes you might be right and perhaps I should stay patience about the Ground Control.

Do you have any experience with WMD - Metron? It's the next one I consider (besides the Ground Control). I can't find in the Metron's manual if it can run backwards or randomly too? Do you know perhaps?

Thank you and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: New Stuff

@Troux, ha, ha, yes, your frog in the pond idea was very good too ;-)

Hi Mowse,

Wow, great sounds indeed, I wasn't even aware of this synth, it must have slipped my attention! Therefore a huge thank you to share this with us :-)

Hi Sacguy71,

He, he, indeed crazy drones ;-) Just before 1:50 you got a very nice sound there, pity you didn't hold that a bit longer, I loved that!

Around 2:40+ you have there a kind of percussion sound that sounds like a bit of a robot-kind-of-footstep sound, nicely done! :-)

All-in-all a nice experimental jam :-) Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Farkas,

Sorry that it took me so long before I managed to listen at your entire album, long story short: Great album, nicely done and that for your own birthday :-) Nice!

Short story long: Beside what I just wrote, wow, track 3 and 4 are for me the toppers. Squares (#3) is a nice composed high energy track that keeps me active and draws my attention full to your album, full to Squares! Then directly followed by Logos And Pathos (#4) is so different from Squares, yet it fits so well to be followed directly after that third track. It gives the listener time to relax, and gives the listener time to process what just happened at Squares. By the way, before I forget to mention it, in both tracks I love your handclap sound!

Though Logos And Pathos provides the listener a moment of reflection on the Squares track, it draws the listener back to reality and the listener gets sucked up its full attention by Logos And Pathos and though a bit sad to start to forget about Squares, the bonus of listening at Logos And Pathos is it all worth :-)

I do appreciate your huge amount of modulation in the first track Drowning In Positivity as well, he, he, nobody needs to explain to you what modulation is ;-) Followed by some nice and funny sounds, it's an interesting track!

Overall a great album to be proud about! Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Troux,

Wow, I do think I would love to hear that long story about you using your kitchen island as your studio

Thus, without knowing your background story about the kitchen island, since you are using your kitchen island already as your "studio", why not f*** the entire kitchen, remove/break out all the unnecessary components like cooking units, fridge (who needs a fridge anyway, hey?), and whatever weird stuff you might have in your kitchen, get rid of it and transform your entire kitchen into a studio. I mean let's be honest here, the kitchen as such is anyway way overvalued, hence get rid of it :-)

Yes but...no but, use take away and delivery services instead and you got plenty space for your studio

So, now you got space for a serious full sized 19" rack, the DRM1 Mk III will fit pretty well into that nicely newly obtained 19" rack ;-)

Ha, ha, all the fun aside, the DRM1 Mk III is surprisingly small, yes okay it's 19" but I do think it's usable if you don't put it in a 19" rack but just leave it as it is. It has (at least for a 19" rack device) a surprisingly small depth, just a few centimetres (one max two inches). Okay I just measured it, 5.5 cm (2+ inch). I also just checked the back side from a 19" rack point of view and it's nice flat, the cables are inserted from the top (behind the rack), so if you would put it flat on your kitchen table the cables wouldn't block it from laying nicely flat on the kitchen table.

Seriously, consider it. Kind regards, Garfield.

@JimHowell1970

Glad to hear you are not dead ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Ivolvanov,

Wow that's a great nice little track! I don't know why but when I was listening at it I was thinking about acrobatics :-)

Well done, I like it and thanks a lot for sharing this. Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Jingo,

I forgot to mention those two sub sequencers of the Five12 - Vectron, those are very nice, I heard loopop using that in his video (and explaining it), that's really great and gives a lot of interesting, additional opportunities, to this sequencer!

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Steve,

Oh that's a nice relaxing track! I wasn't even aware a module like Monome - Crow exists, quite interesting and melodic too.

I am going to listen one more time, get even more relaxed, thanks a lot for sharing this, kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Jingo,

Thanks a lot for pointing out page 15 the scenes, totally overlooked the scenes...

Yes, the combination of steps, presets, playlists, scenes and projects, that should be enough. Pity of the presets though other than that I guess it's sufficient.

I just found something that worries me quite a bit. Do you have the Jack Expander as well? If yes, those 8 triggers there can't they all be used to control drums & percussion? I was assuming that but I read this in the manual on page 13 this:

"As with Chords, Drum Parts have four voices"
and this:
"You can use 4 Gate and Velocity outputs on the Jack Expander module, or use 4 trigger outputs only, or even combine 4 trigger outputs with 4 velocity CVs."

Why not just using all those 8 triggers for percussion & drum? :-(

So I hope you have that Jack Expander and can either confirm that indeed only 4 trigger outputs can be used for drums or is there a trick to use them all 8 for drums?

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Farkas and Troux,

Farkas: Sorry, totally forgot to mention: Happy Birthday! :-)

Troux: Yes, I can understand where you are coming from regarding drum modules & co. Why not considering a Vermona - DRM 1 Mk III (with trigger inputs). Lovely Drum Synthesizer!

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Ha, ha, your rhythm around 3+ minutes is very nice indeed! I am a bit jealous regarding the 0-ctrl, and you got the 0-coast as well, right? Recently haven't seen that much in your setup, don't you like it any more? I thought that's a pretty nice module! The change of music style around 6+ minute is nice too!

Thank you and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Mowse,

For the fact that you have used the Telharmonic, this is just plain and "simple" beautifully! How you manage to have this Telharmonic so nicely controlled, sounding so nice? You must have magic fingers ;-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this nice ambient piece of art, kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Sacguy71,

Looks to me that you are giving the Varigate 4+ a second chance :-) Nice to see you playing around with your system!

Hi Sacguy71,

Yes indeed, I actually bought (at that time) the Sinfonion a bit too early, I wanted it to buy it a half year later but then there was such a good offer that I couldn't let it go and that module when it just came out was (and still is) so intriguing that I couldn't let it go.

Can one buy a Sinfonion too early? Well yes and no. If you want to feed that "black hole sucking monster module" enough to keep it happy like a happy tail of a dog then yes. You seriously need tons of modules as an input for the Sinfonion, if you don't have that but you still got the Sinfonion then you will realise that you can't provide full and enough input to the 3 voice/melody channels, the chord channel and the arpeggio channel. Now that is not necessarily a disaster though, you can start with the chords, arpeggio and for example one voice channel instead of straight away 3 channels but of course on the long run you like to use it to it's maximum, hence my terminology: "This is a black hole that sucks up all your modules" ;-)

But having all said that, I have not even a single thought or moment of regret, not at all. Yes it's bloody expensive and yes, in my opinion there should come laws to protect us users from ridiculous prices for modules ;-) But putting the fun aside, I wouldn't go as far as saying something cliché as: "It's worth every penny of it" because that's just too cliché but yes I think, it was worth the investment but I agree with everyone saying it's (too) expensive as well and therefore deciding not to buy it. So you just have to consider for yourself: "Is it worth it?". Download the manual if you are more interested in the Sinfonion and completely read it, it's one of the modules I haven't tested it at my local dealer but as mentioned I didn't regret it buying it "blindly" (but of course I read the manual completely and watched all the tutorial video's from Mathias Kettner, who designed the Sinfonion).

Very difficult decision of course but keep in mind two things:

• It's cheaper than the Five12 + Jack Expander sequencer combination, even if it is just a little bit cheaper ;-)
  • But... the Sinfonion is not your classical sequencer as such (see also above my earlier message), it's a chord progression sequencer and thus if you like to have some "classical" sequencing (which I indeed like to have) then you have to get yourself another sequencer beside the Sinfonion

Especially that last point makes it unpleasantly expensive, because a Sinfonion costs already a fortune and then yet another fortune is required for a good sequencer next to it.... And yes, I do realise that the above two points are a kind of contradiction...

Or check out this video, didn't know this one till today, quite nice introduction of the Sinfonion:

The Sinfonion you see in that video by the way, looks like a prototype to me. The now available Sinfonion has nice dim yellow lights (not too bright), more comfortable for the eyes and a different setup on the layout of the buttons. You also can see a (very) nice modular setup of "Ströme Studio".

Or if you like to hear the Sinfonion used by myself, the track in my below post demonstrates some of it's possibilities:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/8749

Not the entire track has been done by the Sinfonion though, however the arpeggio you hear in this track is definitely done by Sinfonion.

Regarding that complex sequencer question of yours, why not consider the Five12 - Vector + Jack Expander, yes expensive but it looks like a good sequencer, ask Jingo, he loves it ;-)

However, I still want to give that Ground Control (from Endorphin.es) one more change, I am waiting till the end of this month to see if it's finally going to be released, depending then on perhaps yet another delay message from my dealer, I am going to decide, I think, not sure yet because the Ground Control is attractive in it's way too (beside the much lower price than that Five12 combination).

I realised I haven't answered to your suggestion of the Frap Tool - USTA, that definitely looks like an interesting sequencer but my guts say or warn me a little bit to be careful with the "sexy module look syndrome"; it might be nicer looking than being that "perfect" sequencer I am looking for. Or let me put it in another way, it's too expensive for what it (technically) offers. It has 4 tracks (8 CVs and gates) but no triggers for percussion/drum. Of course you could use those 8 CVs/gates for that but then you have to give up on a few channels. It still looks interesting, I have to give you that :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Farkas,

Wow! An entire album, well thank you very much for that! I can't wait to listen at your album, however it's just 3 am here and I need to catch some sleep, so I try to listen another time to it. I am sure it will be good so I can't wait till tomorrow and I hope I have time to listen at your entire album.

Hi Jingo,

Ha, ha, yes, I guess it doesn't help much me blaming you for everything that goes wrong after (in case I would) I buy the Five12 - Vector + Jack Expander ;-) Yes, indeed, preferable I would like to keep wife + house ;-)

I watched today the loopop entire video, yes it's indeed a very nice and interesting sequencer, argh.... so tempting :-)

One little concern left though... If I checked and understood the specifications correctly, in 64 steps mode (I heard that from loopop in his video) there are only 6 presets left, so only 6x64 = 384 steps length possible. I was hoping to be able to "compose" an entire track length with a sequencer but 384 steps might not be long enough. I understood there can be 8 parts, so maximum steps are 8x384 = 3072 steps. That's to be honest for modern standards, not really mind blowing much...

The ground control, if it ever will be released, has 64 steps x 24 patterns = 1536 steps, so two songs on the ground control is the entire capacity of one project on the Vector... But ground control can go till 24 songs, so it has 12 times the capacity of a Vector and costs less than half the money...

Or did I miss something on the Vector? And is it in practical terms no issue at all?

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: Removed asterisks because Markdown Syntax is not that nice ;-)