I would stick with the Varigate 4+ for some controlled sequencing and add a MI Marbles or Marbles clone for more random gates and CV. That pairing would be pretty fun, though a bigger investment in hp and $. It would provide you with much more versatile sequencing options. Have fun and good luck!
-- farkas

Thanks for your response,

Yeah that's an approach that I've considered though recently I've been also really intrigued by euclidean patterns. So for my next expansions I was thinking about doing something similar to what Marbles does but then with an Euclidean Circles + Various other modules (Boolean Logic/Branches/TM/Quantizer/S&H/Sequential Switch etc. ). Which I know would be more costly but might also give me more control.

Hi friends,

A little update after a few months, in which I kept interest in eurorack and learned a lot while watching videos, reading forums and playing around in VCV Rack!

ModularGrid Rack

As you can see the rack has changed quite significantly and I would love to hear your opinions on it now. Most of my initial post still stands, though my interest has broadened so I would like my rack to be more versatile than ambient only. The case has been changed from a Rackbrute 6u to a Mantis. I am torn between getting a Malekko Varigate 4+ or a Qu-Bit Bloom, anybody got opinions on that?

Looking forward to what you have to say!

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about starting my modular journey and I would greatly appreciate your advice!

The rack I'm trying to build will start off as an ambient droning rack but will eventually get voices on top of that.
I'm looking for a rack that will "play itself", so no midi controlling or DAW.
I'm not into total chaos, just the right amount! ;)
I'm not looking to start with a semi-modular.

Here is what I got for now:
ModularGrid Rack
PNW will supply gates and LFO's.
Chord V2 will be droning and will be modulated by PNW.
Disting MK4 will be used as effect-unit for now.
HPO will output to my headphones while patching.
Case is a Rackbrute 6U.

Am I missing something right now? Recommendations for the future?

Thanks in advance!