Currently asking myself the same question. Due to space constraints with my current setup I'm trying to decide if I want to replace my current oscillators with a complex oscillator module, or use my existing oscillators alongside something like an SSF Zephyr or ZPO. Currently leaning towards the latter, or just picking up a Befaco Pony for now since I could easily keep that in the rack if I change my ind later. Finding a good deal on a Cs-L might tip my hand, though.

I got started with a cheap 12u 19" rack with a Tiptop HAK and a Neutron in it, adding more HAKs as my collection grew. Only reason I converted over to a more traditional case was because A) I found I wasn't actually using my setup very often and B) my Microcell has noise issues with ribbon cable based power supplies. I'm using it a lot more often now that I can just set it up on my bed or easily haul it over to a friend's place.
I don't see why using a big rack like this is a problem if you're already OK with using it in a fixed studio-like environment. There's no rule saying you need to fill it up entirely. The part of the rack below sitting/standing level just takes the place of a desk or whatever you'd be putting a smaller 19" rack on top of to elevate it to a usable level. They're overpriced, but you could also fill the lower levels up with 19" mountable drawers for storing gear. I've actually got my guitar pedals set up in drawers as a loop hooked up to my patch bay, but I'm having to rethink that for the same reason I wasn't using my eurorack gear as often as I'd like. I'm just not suited towards having everything anchored to my desk and PC.