Hi guys! I'm building a rack dedicate to ambient / relaxing /chill music. The main idea is to have precise control of the sound sources (thanks to an external sequencer going into Mutant Brain) but at same time, when needed, I'ld like to be able to throw in an evolving semi random pattern to an oscillator / effect in terms of v/oct or simply modulation (this is where marbles comes into place). A mandatory requirement is to have at least 2 or 3 effects unit to make these lush and amabient-ish sounds.
Since the case i have is not that big (6U 88hp) compatc solutions will be appreciated.

This is my actual rack with the modules I already have:
alt text

My thoughts:
1) I will probably buy a Pamela's New Workout to fill the first row to free Stages from LFOs duties and to add more modulation sources in general
2) I don't have a droning analog oscillator in the build. I would love to have one. Any compact suggestion? I was thinking about a ts-l.
3) I will probebly sell my Monsoon when the new clouds will be announced.
4) I have just one filter (Ripples). I was thinking about buying a stereo filter (q-pass??? but it's huge :'()

Unfortunatley I have already purchased the case since i found it at a super cheap price but i don't think this is a problem since I can sell it or just add a bigger one (bye bye money lol).

1) Oh that's simple: both modules can output triggers which I will struggle to use but i chosed them because they also have other super usefull functions: the Mutan Brain can output up to 4 V/oct channels for polyphony and up to 12 triggers / gates (for sure I'll use two or three triggers in order to output the clock and clock divided triggers) and the Pamela's has its clockd lfos, random modulation and envelopes. If you have other modules to suggest just tell me so i can check them all.

2) I can sacrifice the Magneto in order to add another classic lfo but the problem is that just one dsp module (Monsoon) is not enough to create dreamy and ambient backgrounds. Maybe at this point the right move is to remove the Marbles instead of the Magneto since it is another modules which outputs triggers. But if i do that i lose a random source of modulation .

3) I don't have any type of mixer right now. I also think that a pannable mixer may be better. Any suggestion? I was checking out this one: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/roland-system-500-531. it is really costy but it has a lot of nice features like the two 1/4 inch jack out + headphones in.

4) I'm gonna stick with just the blinds for now.

By the way the Moog Grandmother is 100% eurorack compatible

ModularGrid Rack

Hi guys! I'm starting to fill my first 6U 88HP eurorack.
The idea is: I want to create "ambient and dreamy" pads and backgrounds for my songs while the main solo voice is either my guitar or my Moog Grandmother. I want this rack to be sequenced by my daw, that's why there's a midi to CV module.
The Main modulation comes from Pam's new Workout: it takes the clock coming from the Mutant Brain and it outputs clocked LFO's, envelopes and random modulation. Batumi is here for its musical quadrature mode and Stages is usefull if I need an ADSR or two ASR envelopes to open the Quad VCA.
If i need more random modulation I can use marbles to make things a bit more unpredictable.
Blinds just does its utility purpose: offsetting and attenuating or inverting modulation or mixing.
The two main voices are Rings and the Chords V2 and they will be processed by Monsoon and Magneto.
The Polaris is used with my moog if i need an "acid" voice.
Finally I have my stereo mixer and outputs in order to interface with my headphones and my audio interface.

Things I am not sure with:
1) I have a lot of trigger outputs. Mutant Brains, Pam's and Marbles can all output triggers which i actually don't know how to use in this build
2) I really can't understand if I have too much modulation or too less. What do you think about it?
3) Do i need a pannable mixer? I honestly choosed Mixup because it is cheap and it has two stereo channels for my Monsoon and Magneto.
4) Is the QuadVCA + Blinds combo redundant?
5) I don't have an active mult. Is this a problem?

Modules I already have:
Blinds, Polaris, Monsoon, Stages and Rings.

What do you think about this setup?
Thanks for your time.

EDIT: For the experienced folks out there: do you think this rack could be "fun" to play with?

Andrea

Well, what you need to do is to come up with a list of six things you know the patchable MUST have. We already have one here: more than one VCO. So, let's start with that as #1, and work out five more.

Now, clearly you seem to be leaning toward something with a proper controller, such as a Moog Grandmother. But is that the right move? Would it make more sense to get something like an Arturia Keystep as both a controller AND sequencer, with that being capable of working with the initial synth and the later expansions? Also, if you eliminate the controller as being part of the synth, it's worth noting that you both widen the field of candidates + lower the price for them.

Next, what functions should the patchable have? Multiple VCOs, check. Filter...? How much "character" do you think is needed there? You're considering adding a Rings later, which is a physical modelling "filter" and therefore capable of some pretty strange transformative behavior, so maybe you can get away with something with a more simplistic filter sound for now and know that, later, you can expand on this.

More functions...modulation sources? Should it have ample LFOs and EGs? You've specced a Maths above, so again, you might go simpler here, either in terms of amount of submodules or in terms of potential complexity. Perhaps the patchable can have the "simple" sources and the more esoteric stuff can go in later?

Do you want this to be a purely subtractive synth? Or more "West Coast"? Or something down the middle such as the Pittsburgh Voltage Lab or the Make Noise 0-Coast? Or something just downright weird? And with that in mind, do you even really want it to patch with 3.5mm cables? Why not bananas, such as the Kilpatrick Phenol, or Dupont patchwires, like on the AE Modular system? After all, you can adapt one connection to the other in many different ways.

Lastly, should you jump right on into Eurorack with a voice module as your first Euro acquisition? Note that I'm NOT suggesting taking something like a Mother 32 and "de-casing" it to put it back into another case, but something like the Intellijel Atlantis, Malekko Manther Growl, Cwejman VM-1S, Eowave Quadrantid Swarm, et al.

So, work along these lines, sort your "must-haves" out into a list, then sift the data according to them. Given the sheer amount of equipment out there these days, there's SOME patchable that'll work on nearly all if not every one of the aspects you need.
-- Lugia

1) I would like to have at least 2 VCO just to be able to stack up a couple of voices
2) I forgot to mention but I already have a Keystep. I don't know how reliable a sequencer may be in a live band environment. This is kinda an experiment so I may be end using only the keys or I may find the sequencer usefull. Who knows?
3) I'm ok with going for the normal stuff first and then expand it with the "weirdness" later on. I would consider a cool low pass filter and a couple of modulation soruces + a couple of envelopes.
4) Being new to the hobby i don't really know the differences between the est and west cosat synthesys type. The only thing I can say is that i like the 0-coast but it's more on the "weird side". It's good for the strange sounds and modulation and I think it can give the best paired with another more traditional machine. Maybe I'm totally wrong about it but I don't think it's suepr good for melodic phrases or leads.

It's exactly what i want to do: start with a semi-modular synth and then expand it with some modules.
The problem is: i don't know which one should i buy.

Hi guys!
In the last couple of weeks i have been enjoying a lot VCV and i tryied a bunch of modules. Now I would love to pick up my first semimodular synth but i don't know what to do.

A couple of notes:
1) My goal is to make the synth fit into an indie-rock / math rock band (lead and bass stuff) thus its sound should be as much "musical" as possible.
2) I want to expand this first synth with a small euro-rack in the future
3) my budget is like 850€ max

I was thinking about a moog grandmother. The Mother 32 could be good but it has only on VCO and i am not totally sure about it. It feels really limiting. I may be wrong but the minibrute 2s seems to have a "techno sound" and sonically it is not really what i'm looking for.
Another good candidate is the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1. I kinda like the sound of the oscillators but a lot of people seems to report tuning issues with this machine. It ahs a lot of utility built into it tho.
I really don't know what to do lol.

The first modules i'ld like to buy after the synth are:

1) Make Noise Maths
2) MI Plaits
3) MI Rings